WGCL getting a new set

Hickman360

WGCL (CBS Atlanta) is finally getting a much needed new set. Friday the station began broadcasting from a temporary set as they're tearing down their old set and constructing a new one. According to Stephany Fisher the new set should be ready in two months just in time for Feb sweeps. On a side note first on TVNT I recently visited WSB to check out their new newsroom weekend Anchor Craig Lucie told me that the station will most likely be getting a new set within "a year" stay tuned!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest NewsHound

I've seen worse. I've seen stations use stand up shots in a newsroom. I've seen stations use a plain desk in front of a blank wall. The worst I've seen is a station put up a very dark blue curtain and an LCD and call it a day.

This is not bad. It's definitely been built using elements of the old set. It could have been worse, especially since this is WGCL...

I've seen worse. I've seen stations use stand up shots in a newsroom. I've seen stations use a plain desk in front of a blank wall. The worst I've seen is a station put up a very dark blue curtain and an LCD and call it a day.

This is not bad. It's definitely been built using elements of the old set. It could have been worse, especially since this is WGCL...

Maybe that's a sign that their new set will be very nice? :p

That's a very nice set, although I really think that it's kind of......wait, this is a TEMPORARY set?

Best temp set I've ever seen. Of course, this does raise the bar for what the permanent set will be in terms of quality and presentation; the temp set confirms that I'll be looking for a very high quality set from WGCL (along with new graphics and music, hopefully).

Guest NewsHound

Yeah, Newscast Studio was very vague on that. I was getting the vibe at first too that the first pic might have been the temporary set. Even still, their temp set isn't that bad.

As I mentioned before, you can tell that the temporary set uses pieces of the old set. Look far off near what I assume is the Weather Center in the first pic, theres the TV screen with the plexiglass you see behind them in the temp set. I also assume that the Weather Center desk is their desk. Though we can't really tell by the pictures, they're using a lot of reassembled set pieces, and it looks to me like they are using the columns from the previous "Clear News" set? Like I said its hard to tell, but you can clearly see that the screen behind them and the desk are from the old set.

Guest NewsHound

As I mentioned before, you can tell that the temporary set uses pieces of the old set. Look far off near what I assume is the Weather Center in the first pic, theres the TV screen with the plexiglass you see behind them in the temp set. I also assume that the Weather Center desk is their desk. Though we can't really tell by the pictures, they're using a lot of reassembled set pieces, and it looks to me like they are using the columns from the previous "Clear News" set? Like I said its hard to tell, but you can clearly see that the screen behind them and the desk are from the old set.

What still plagues me is why this station is still affiliated with CBS when CBS owns WUPA (CW 69) in Atlanta... I mean I can understand not wanting to get the UHF Channel number of 69 in a pre-digital world, but we're post-digital now and my god CBS would be the only O&O in Atlanta. Business and promotions wise it makes perfect sense.

Moreover, It still ceases to amaze me why CBS isn't pursuing the affiliation in Atlanta especially noting how horrible WGCL is as an affiliate. Who wants to make a wager that closer to time for the new set to be unveiled we will see a return to CBS 46? Call it corny or stupid, I still love the "Atlanta's Newschannel" jingle.

What still plagues me is why this station is still affiliated with CBS when CBS owns WUPA (CW 69) in Atlanta... I mean I can understand not wanting to get the UHF Channel number of 69 in a pre-digital world, but we're post-digital now and my god CBS would be the only O&O in Atlanta. Business and promotions wise it makes perfect sense.

Moreover, It still ceases to amaze me why CBS isn't pursuing the affiliation in Atlanta especially noting how horrible WGCL is as an affiliate. Who wants to make a wager that closer to time for the new set to be unveiled we will see a return to CBS 46? Call it corny or stupid, I still love the "Atlanta's Newschannel" jingle.

As long as people can see CBS in Atlanta and CBS get's their money from WGCL why make all these unnecessary moves? Switching affiliations will require CBS to invest millions of dollars in making the switch and that is not taking into account a news department.

They are not the only O&O in the Atlanta market. FOX owns WAGA-TV "FOX5 Atlanta". It would be the second O&O in the market, but technically WUPA is an O&O now.

They are not the only O&O in the Atlanta market. FOX owns WAGA-TV "FOX5 Atlanta". It would be the second O&O in the market, but technically WUPA is an O&O now.

Don't forget WUVG, an O&O of Univision.

Edit: See sanewsguy's post below.

Archived