"Katie" Officially Canceled

BehindNYNews

Unlike Couric, Tyra Banks has proven to be a workable commodity as a talk show host. This should be a better lead-in to the news on those stations that do 4pm newscasts.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throwing it out there after thinking about it for a few minutes, noticing that she'll hosting a "panel", could this be a weak attempt by ABC to find a successor should The View fail next year?

• 1 month later...

WEWS is replacing "Katie" with Steve Harvey's self-titled talk show at 3pm, leading into Scripps' "The Now" at 4pm. (Which is effectively a trade with WJW, as that station will drop Harvey to pick up the ratings-allergic Dr. Oz from WEWS.) Note, too, that Harvey's show will also go up against... the Steve Harvey-hosted "Family Feud" which airs at 3pm on WKYC.

Meredith Vieira's show is slated for 10am on WEWS as well.

Those two shows landing on a Scripps station is remarkable in and of itself.

WEWS is replacing "Katie" with Steve Harvey's self-titled talk show at 3pm, leading into Scripps' "The Now" at 4pm. (Which is effectively a trade with WJW, as that station will drop Harvey to pick up the ratings-allergic Dr. Oz from WEWS.) Note, too, that Harvey's show will also go up against... the Steve Harvey-hosted "Family Feud" which airs at 3pm on WKYC.

Meredith Vieira's show is slated for 10am on WEWS as well.

Those two shows landing on a Scripps station is remarkable in and of itself.

That does not look right at all.

Is WKYC is moving the Feud to an earlier slot or are they're keeping it at 3pm? Because Cleveland viewers are going to question why I'm seeing Steve on two different shows, on two different channels, airing at the same time. They'll probably post some YT vid flicking back and forth channel 3 & 5. "Hey look Steve is one Family Feud. *click*, And now look, here's Steve on his talk show". It would look completely stupid.

Unless they want to witness a viral circus in Cleveland TV at 3pm, it would be wise to switch the Feud & The Doctors timeslots.

Just saw a promo saying that WMC will begin carrying Ellen on September 8th. Didn't say exactly what time, but we can assume that Ellen will be taking Katie's timeslot at 11am. WLMT currently carries Ellen at 6am.

Just saw a promo saying that WMC will begin carrying Ellen on September 8th. Didn't say exactly what time, but we can assume that Ellen will be taking Katie's timeslot at 11am. WLMT currently carries Ellen at 6am.

They're actually putting it at 3 PM, I assume hoping for a little boost to their 4 news as a lead-in. Dr. Oz is most likely shifting to 11 AM.

*Actually, I'm not sure on Dr. Oz. If WMC is picking up Meredith Vieira's show, it could go at 11 AM and Dr. Oz may be either dropped or moving somewhere else. Haven't heard anything on either.

That does not look right at all.

Is WKYC is moving the Feud to an earlier slot or are they're keeping it at 3pm? Because Cleveland viewers are going to question why I'm seeing Steve on two different shows, on two different channels, airing at the same time. They'll probably post some YT vid flicking back and forth channel 3 & 5. "Hey look Steve is one Family Feud. *click*, And now look, here's Steve on his talk show". It would look completely stupid.

Unless they want to witness a viral circus in Cleveland TV at 3pm, it would be wise to switch the Feud & The Doctors timeslots.

The Doctors has already been axed, playing out the string at 3am. WKYC is replacing that with Queen Latifah come September.

WKYC is keeping the Feud at 3pm, but limiting it to one airing per day, as the CraigyFerg hosted "Celebrity Name Game" will air at 3:30pm.

WKYC is sorta hand-strung here. Both Ellen and Dr. Phil do very well as news counterprogramming, so they can't mess with what really isn't broken and move them around. Plus WKYC has aired ET at 7:30pm for over two decades.

The Doctors has already been axed, playing out the string at 3am. WKYC is replacing that with Queen Latifah come September.

WKYC is keeping the Feud at 3pm, but limiting it to one airing per day, as the CraigyFerg hosted "Celebrity Name Game" will air at 3:30pm.

WKYC is sorta hand-strung here. Both Ellen and Dr. Phil do very well as news counterprogramming, so they can't mess with what really isn't broken and move them around. Plus WKYC has aired ET at 7:30pm for over two decades.

No, I'm extremely happy that they're not going crazy with adding newscasts like the other stations have, and as you see, they'd done so (with having just the 6 & 7pm) for a good minute. Quality over Quantity will win all the time.

But don't you think it'll be strange to the have Feud come on at the same time Steve's talk show comes on? I'm telling you, before you know it, folks will catch on to that and make a viral vid on that, and one of them would be wise to change the timeslot. I still think it's stupid as hell to have it like that. They didn't think about placing the Game Show block at 2pm and place Latifah at 3pm?

I wished it had a similar clause when Oprah was on, remember Dr. Phil couldn't air at the same Oprah came on. That's why in many stations Dr. Phil had to air either an hour before or after Oprah. I wished it had a similar clause between Steve's talk show & the Feud. Sadly, that's not the case.

But don't you think it'll be strange to the have Feud come on at the same time Steve's talk show comes on? I'm telling you, before you know it, folks will catch on to that and make a viral vid on that, and one of them would be wise to change the timeslot. I still think it's stupid as hell to have it like that. They didn't think about placing the Game Show block at 2pm and place Latifah at 3pm?

I wished it had a similar clause when Oprah was on, remember Dr. Phil couldn't air at the same Oprah came on. That's why in many stations Dr. Phil had to air either an hour before or after Oprah. I wished it had a similar clause between Steve's talk show & the Feud. Sadly, that's not the case.

I don't find it strange at all. I don't see what the big deal is. The only person that should care is Steve Harvey as viewers will only get to watch one of his shows therefore affecting the ratings of his other show in that market. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in other markets. The one's a talk show, the other's a game show. Also, I doubt either station wants to give in to the other station and switch time slots. I mean, I know there is a lot of dumb people out there, but I think they will be more amused than confused.

It's funny, I could of sworn there was some stipulation in place disallowing stations to pit Steve versus Steve (at least two years ago, anyway). I think I saw it somewhere on a game show news site/forum.

I don't find it strange at all. I don't see what the big deal is. The only person that should care is Steve Harvey as viewers will only get to watch one of his shows therefore affecting the ratings of his other show in that market. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in other markets. The one's a talk show, the other's a game show. Also, I doubt either station wants to give in to the other station and switch time slots. I mean, I know there is a lot of dumb people out there, but I think they will be more amused than confused.

Well I don't think so. Like I said, this would be nothing more than a laughing stalk, I don't care how the genres are different, you have two completely different shows with the same host airing simultaneously, and you don't see any problem with that?

Anyway, I don't think it's happening because most stations are moving Family Feud to close to timeslots damn near competing with Wheel & Jeopardy, while Harvey's talk show is aired on the early afternoon slots, and some during the mid-morning slots.

But since you said, you wouldn't be surprised if it happens in other markets, I want to see this same practice of airing Steve's talk show airing simultaneously with the Feud, on other markets. I don't think that has happened yet, and I strongly doubt that that you'll be seeing that it in other markets.

Yes, Someone should inform Steve about what's about to happen in Cleveland. And that'll likely happen through some viral video I mentioned earlier, by someone flicking channels 3 & 5 back and forth at 3pm. That would give him alot of attention. Maybe he'll mention it on his radio show (if his show airs in Cleveland).

It's funny, I could of sworn there was some stipulation in place disallowing stations to pit Steve versus Steve (at least two years ago, anyway). I think I saw it somewhere on a game show news site/forum.

I strongly thought that is the case, when Myron first mentioned it. But I guess we'll see what happens..... I for one am not amused by this at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Harvey's radio show, for the record, isn't cleared in Cleveland.

WKYC may have been forced into this situation, as they probably were not allowed to run "Celebrity Name Game" at 11am or 11:30. Otherwise, "Feud" and "Celebrity Name Game" should be on at the 11am hour, with Rachel Ray moving back to 3pm (where she had been at for close to a decade prior to them clearing Bethanny).

WEWS shouldn't be exempt from this, either. They should have put Harvey's talk show at 10am and Meredith Vieira at 3pm all along. But then again, WEWS may have minimum faith in "The Now" and want to give it as strong of a lead in as possible.

I know this is not related to the lineup changes that "Katie" has caused this fall, but I came across this video recently and thought it would be a cool #ThrowbackThursday since Katie is the digital anchor for Yahoo!

Archived