Today Show

todayshowproducer

On 7/31/2021 at 1:15 PM, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Savannah, Honda and Al are back in New York 

Savannah and the last three Olympics:

2016: She was unable to travel to Rio as she was pregnant and there were concerns over Zika. She remained in New York and was newsreader.

2018: She had to sub for Lester after he returned to New York then became ill with flu.

2021: Returns to New York after one week of competition to have fun on the Plaza

As for Al, why did he go in the first place? He was in Tokyo for a week and probably did not leave the hotel.

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

While Katie and Matt were a great duo, Today’s best pair in my opinion were Matt and Meredith. The way they played off on one another and weren’t afraid to take it a little more risqué in the morning was fun to watch (maybe less so following Matt’s inappropriate BTS behavior).

I can't decide between Bryant & Jane or Katie & Matt as Today's greatest pairing. The Bryant/Jane years to me was the most refined , intelligent and sophisticated era of the program. The Matt/Katie years had the best pacing however.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:48 PM, jrogo said:

Does anyone else wonder if Studio 1A is receiving some updates? I only saw the first 3 hours this morning and all of it was outside. I wouldn’t expect a major redo but updating the tracking panels, tweaks to the 2nd floor and figuring out what to do with the video wall covering the orange room is very realistic. 

My bet is no - and if it is getting updated, they will be minor. 

The windows aren’t covered like they would usually be and Sheinelle hosted a Special Report from the studio today. 

With the exeption of a pre-recorded interview with Simone Biles, Hoda was not on the Wednesday, 8/4 edition of Today as she was enroute to New York and will apparently join Savannah on the Plaza on Thursday. Craig was still in Tokyo.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, freelanceproducer said:

The windows aren’t covered like they would usually be and Sheinelle hosted a Special Report from the studio today. 

What was the special report about? 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, freelanceproducer said:

What was the special report about? 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, MorningNews said:

Is the Saturday broadcast not based out of DC anymore?

It is, however, with Kristen Welker still on maternity leave, the show has been using Studio 1A occasionally. Often times, depending on the female anchor, that is easier. For example, Vicky Nguyen filled in today. So since her and Dylan are both based in NYC, that is easier to have Peter travel a few hours north.  

10 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

It is, however, with Kristen Welker still on maternity leave, the show has been using Studio 1A occasionally. Often times, depending on the female anchor, that is easier. For example, Vicky Nguyen filled in today. So since her and Dylan are both based in NYC, that is easier to have Peter travel a few hours north.  

I think it makes more sense to do the show in NY.

6 hours ago, G2000 said:

On this morning’s show Peter Alexander said that they were broadcasting from the second floor because work was being done on Studio 1A.

YES! I was holding out hoping they'd be doing some work. I'm assuming Clickspring is doing the new MSNBC Studio 3A (which appears to be nearly finished), might as well just roll right across the street to 1A. It'll be interesting to see what they do, if it's a full gut job or just tweaks again, considering NBC is using 1A for election coverage and major pre-planned events, will they specifically build the new set with those things in mind and make it more flexible for non Today Show use? I also expect updates to the upstairs set specifically for "Today All Day" and the 4th Hour's needs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jrogo said:

YES! I was holding out hoping they'd be doing some work. I'm assuming Clickspring is doing the new MSNBC Studio 3A (which appears to be nearly finished), might as well just roll right across the street to 1A. It'll be interesting to see what they do, if it's a full gut job or just tweaks again, considering NBC is using 1A for election coverage and major pre-planned events, will they specifically build the new set with those things in mind and make it more flexible for non Today Show use? I also expect updates to the upstairs set specifically for "Today All Day" and the 4th Hour's needs. 

I don't think it will be a major change.  One would think they would do that while the TOKYO OLYMPICS were happening.  But time will tell.  I bet it is for Today All Day and other hours.  I would like to see a new anchor desk tho.

-- Matt

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, G2000 said:

On this morning’s show Peter Alexander said that they were broadcasting from the second floor because work was being done on Studio 1A.

CONFIRMED: Renovations are being done to the first floor of Studio 1A!

*note: studio 1A is a two story studio space. The first floor includes home base (anchor desk), curved video wall, orange room (now covered by video wall), and the 6 moveable video panels. The upstairs is the kitchen, home base for Hoda and Jena, plus the tiny corner they have been using with 90° Video walls. 

Tuned in briefly this morning and noticed Savannah, Hoda, and Al were all absent.  Instead we had the "old Saturday" team of Sheinelle Jones and Dylan Dreyer, along with an unidentified male anchor.  What's going on here?  Is this related to the studio rennovations?

• Haha 1

That was Tom llamas. He will be the prime time anchor of NBC News Now and he came from ABC. It wouldn’t have to do with Reno I bet they are burning off vacations since September they normally don’t get vacations since it’s the launch of the fall season 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

That was Tom llamas. He will be the prime time anchor of NBC News Now and he came from ABC. It wouldn’t have to do with Reno I bet they are burning off vacations since September they normally don’t get vacations since it’s the launch of the fall season 

It is a homecoming for Tom.  Prior to ABC News, he was at WNBC.  He is also NBC's national correspondent.

Edited by NowBergen
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, freelanceproducer said:

CONFIRMED: Renovations are being done to the first floor of Studio 1A!

*note: studio 1A is a two story studio space. The first floor includes home base (anchor desk), curved video wall, orange room (now covered by video wall), and the 6 moveable video panels. The upstairs is the kitchen, home base for Hoda and Jena, plus the tiny corner they have been using with 90° Video walls. 

A producer has confirmed the update will take several weeks - that leads me to believe it might be a bigger update. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, NowBergen said:

It is a homecoming for Tom.  Prior to ABC News, he was at WNBC.  He is also NBC's national correspondent.

Tom is really being featured prominently. He anchored a special report on the end of the Afgan war. CBS could take a page from NBC and ABC, take the time to really boost and develop talent incase you have to fill a more prominent vacancy in the future.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 6:08 PM, susquvalleywgal said:

Do you think they will time this and debut Studio 1A an the MSNBC studio at the same time?

-- Matt

I would not be surprised - these types of debuts usually happen when the new season starts. The debuts will likely be on Sept. 7 or 13. 

I would also not be surprised to see a lot of similarities between the two spaces. Based off images I have seen of the new MSNBC space, it is similar in a lot of ways to the new DC N5 studio. A cohesion of the spaces will look great on air.