• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Al Roker has prostate cancer.    

Oh, come on. There are more options here than "stay-at-home moms" and people in assisted living/nursing homes. There are: Retired people People who work non-"standard" hours and are thu

No one's saying to celebrate Lauer, but he was a part of the show's history. The show had no problem keeping him around when ratings were good, they should also have to bear the weight of his disgrace

Posted Images

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Deborah wasn't bad at all! Granted, Katie and Jane were more 'star forces' on the program but Deborah was pleasant, capable and decent from what I've seen of her tenure online. 

Deborah and Bryant did not make a good pairing at all and NBC certainly did her no favors with the shitty transition of very clearly pushing Jane out in favor of a 10 years younger carbon copy. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Deborah and Bryant did not make a good pairing at all and NBC certainly did her no favors with the shitty transition of very clearly pushing Jane out in favor of a 10 years younger carbon copy. 

They were not a good match. Perhaps if NBC gave Jane another 2 years maybe Deborah would have had a chance to do well in the long term. Supposedly Matt Lauer was approached about take over for Bryant Gumbel in early 1995 and he did not accept because Bryant wasn’t read to leave at the time. That likely help him along with him and Katie being a good team despite him being a terrible person.

Bryant and Deborah as a team was so so compared to his to his two pairings. Jane definitely should not have been pushed out. Speaking on Deborah herself as anchor, I liked her.

Bryant and Katie was a better pairing as she was a strong female co-host, but I preferred Katie with Matt and Bryant with Jane.

From what I remember reading in "From Yesterday to Today" there was a competitive atmosphere between Gumbell and Couric. I found Katie and Matt however to be more laid back and relaxed together. The Bryant/Jane years on the other hand were really strong because of it's sophisticated and intellectual tone. The prime era of Today to me was either the Bryant/Jane or the Matt/Katie years. 

Edited by iron_lion