Today Show

todayshowproducer

I'm curious if the news crawl will remain up during the show? Since KLG & Hoda doesn't air here does the crawl air during their show.

The crawl does air during KLG and Hoda. It could go either way, but since Megyn's show will be part of Today I feel that they might have the crawl up. We'll see.

The crawl does air during KLG and Hoda. It could go either way, but since Megyn's show will be part of Today I feel that they might have the crawl up. We'll see.

I was wondering how they will handle it. I know the local news avails are gone but in my mind it doesn't make sense for the ticker to disappear for an hour.

I wonder if they will do something like they did during Rio with the altered graphics using a different "ticker background". The affiliates had nothing to do on their end as the time/temp and crawl remained in the same spot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Think we will see new gfx for Today come tomorrow???

-- Matt

Depends. Was there local time / temp / crawl on Sunday Today? Usually when the network doesn't trigger it at all it's a signal there's changes afloat.

If they wanted to do specialized graphics but keep the ticker they could just go the Rio 2016 route. But from what I've heard it seems like it's going to be it's own show and nothing like current Today that just happens to have Today in the title and logo.

Today could be in the name for contractual reasons with the affiliates or to establish continuity through 11AM.

At the same time it will be interesting in how NBC is setting up the show to be Nielsen rated. I believe the prior block constituted Today but was broken down to three sub segments TODAY or TDY 1 (7-9AM), TODAY 2 (9-10AM) and TODAY 3 (10-11AM).

In my opinion, the way this show will be successful is if they are able to make it feel like your watching "Today" as well as continue the momentum of the first two hours.

A couple ways to achieve this...

1.)Have Megyn appear on the first two hours and have Today contributors and anchors appear on her show.

2.)Promote and continue segments that will air on Megyn's show during the first two hours. Start a segment on Today and then continue it more in depth on Megyn's show to give people a reason to continue watching.

If they do this I actually think the show will be fine.

I must say, Megyn Kelly Today doesn't feel like Today at all. It feels like an NBCU talk show passing itself off as a network morning show.

Pretty much what it is - except it's not taped up in Connecticut.

That Central Park shot is gorgeous though. Nice job with the set.

First day for Megyn Kelly Today felt awkward and disjointed. The cast of Will & Grace didn't seem that engaged with her, and they looked squished sitting together on that tiny sofa. I'll forgive her for nerves and first day jitters, but she needs to be look more comfortable and smooth on camera. Nice set, but I think her audience drowns her out. They certainly need to work on a lot of things if they want this show to work. I'm still surprised after all these years that no one has been able to match or duplicate Oprah's quality for an informational talk show, I had thought that perhaps Megan would be the person -- but for now it's a work in progress. A major downgrade to Today's Take.

• Like 1

I watched it, and it definitely seemed like they were going for an Oprah-esque vibe, I even called it White-Oprah. They also got rid of the news ticker/crawl for that hour, so they're going full on talk show. Yet it's still advertised as an NBC News program (the on screen logo alternates between the MKT and NBC News logos). If they wanted to turn the 9am hour into a full talk show, why not just put it syndication?

I'll be recording every show onto DVD, just in case this becomes a notorious bomb, and NBC is forced to bring back Today's Take or give the 9am hour back to the local stations.

• Like 1

I'm more interested to see what the show is like and how it flows by the end of the week into next week. It's difficult to judge the first day because the first day of any talk show is "awkward." Most talk shows take up to a year to fully settle into a groove. We'll see how long NBC's patience is.

I've noticed several comments in the chat box about the lack of crawl during Megyn Kelly Today. The ticker that's used during the regular Today Show is controlled and put on air by NBC. The affiliates get parameters and notices before hand where they have to upload the files to a device called the NameDropper HD. It does what it exactly says it handles the branding of the station from the top of the hour IDs to the Today Show time, temp and ticker. All of the Today's items are handled by this device. I don't think it's smart enough to handle two different types of graphics configurations. In the end it's a really simple graphics engine.

In order for a headline to be displayed in the Today's ticker a producer would have to manually update a TXT file. Every new line of text instructs the device to insert the Today sunrise logo or a station logo. I think there is a plugin for ENPS and iNews so it could be updates from that app, which automatically updates the file.

In order for the ticker, time and temp to be displayed it has to be triggered by someone in the Today control room or NBC's master control.

Edit: I almost think the tickers triggered by someone in master control as there's sometimes a delay between the background disappearing and the text disappearing.

CBS also uses the same hardware under their own name called LIDIA.

• Like 5

CBS also uses the same hardware under their own name called LIDIA.

WUSA airs their own ticker during CBS TM, but it looks like WTVR uses the standard one. Do CBS affiliates have the option to override the main one? I know WTVD always ran their own ticker during GMA, but most ABC affiliates I've seen run the standard one.