Today Show

todayshowproducer

Kinda saw this coming after it was rumored Willie will take over Sunday Today. It took me some years but I've grown to like Erika. I know this is a shock for some who remember she wasn't my favorite when they CBS revamp the Early Show in 2011 but that's the pass haha. I wonder if CNN/HLN will swoop her up again. Time will tell. One thing for sure a lot of changes are happening at NBC...

Nah! She is a certified ratings disaster. That is a bad reputation to have in the industry when you flop in all your anchor jobs. She has little value now and she is old in television standards for a female anchor. There is no way CNN and CBS will waste their time taking her back. She should quit anchoring. The industry is too fast for her, she seems like a person who would do well with a 9-5 job.

Nah! She is a certified ratings disaster. That is a bad reputation to have in the industry when you flop in all your anchor jobs. She has little value now and she is old in television standards for a female anchor. There is no way CNN and CBS will waste their time taking her back. She should quit anchoring. The industry is too fast for her, she seems like a person who would do well with a 9-5 job.

Erica is 39 years old hardly old at all. In fact out of all 3 major networks I believe she is the youngest.

Erica is 39 years old hardly old at all. In fact out of all 3 major networks I believe she is the youngest.

39 years old is old, she has been to all the big networks, was a weekday anchor and now working as a weekend anchor..not good at 39 years old. Believe me, the industry treats women different by the time she reaches 40 years of age, they start pushing them out and their hiring chances slow down for the big anchoring gigs. It is still television, and investment. If they see a pic and resume of on air talent, they would much rather hire a 28 year old upstart that the network can invest good amount of years on or would they take a 40 year old woman who has had inconsistent career and not a ratings draw. A reason why Chris Jansing was never promoted cause she was too old to be a network anchor, lucky for her she is intelligent and she works as a White House correspondent . Women like Savannah Guthrie, Erin Burnett, Norah O Donnell, Tamron Hall, Amy Robach all managed to get their careers together before turning age 40. Now they have a stable hours and have a career. Erica Hill has had the big hosting jobs but never was a success at it.

I bet Jenna Wolfe is getting the last laugh. There was no reason for Jenna to be kicked off as a co anchor and then news reader.

39 years old is old, she has been to all the big networks, was a weekday anchor and now working as a weekend anchor..not good at 39 years old. Believe me, the industry treats women different by the time she reaches 40 years of age, they start pushing them out and their hiring chances slow down for the big anchoring gigs. It is still television, and investment. If they see a pic and resume of on air talent, they would much rather hire a 28 year old upstart that the network can invest good amount of years on or would they take a 39 year old woman who has had inconsistent career and not a ratings draw. A reason why Chris Jansing was never promoted cause she was too old to be a network anchor, lucky for her she is intelligent and she works as a White House correspondent . Women like Savannah Guthrie, Erin Burnett, Norah O Donnell, Tamron Hall, Amy Robach all managed to get their careers together before turning age 40. Now they have a stable hours and have a career. Erica Hill has had the big hosting jobs but never was a success at it.

So I won't be as harsh because you've already taken care of that lol, but you're totally right. Erica Hill is just not network news material, the only show she's ever had a positive affect on was when she semi co-anchored Anderson Cooper 360 years back. Beyond that literally every show she's been on has seen woes. Maybe she should try her hand on the local news level?

I'm laughing reading this thread. It seems like everyone hates Erika and when I was on the "I don't like Erika" train a few years ago people thought I was crazy. (That's not the case now however. I've grown very fond of her.) Hopefully she lands somewhere good because I really want to see her on tv.

• Like 1

So I won't be as harsh because you've already taken care of that lol, but you're totally right. Erica Hill is just not network news material, the only show she's ever had a positive affect on was when she semi co-anchored Anderson Cooper 360 years back. Beyond that literally every show she's been on has seen woes. Maybe she should try her hand on the local news level?

It may seem harsh but it is a cold hard reality in a cold hearted business. She is not network news material, no delivery skills and comes across as a snob. When she was on Anderson Cooper program, her presence became an annoyance in the end. Focus groups did not connect to her possibly cause she was gone if it was working she would've stayed at CNN. Hill was one of people,viewers could not connect to, she had that problem at CBS and it transfered over to NBC. She would be considered to old for local news especially the big markets like NYC, Chicago &Philly. At best she would qualify for a low level market in a blue collar town.

• Like 1

I'm laughing reading this thread. It seems like everyone hates Erika and when I was on the "I don't like Erika" train a few years ago people thought I was crazy. (That's not the case now however. I've grown very fond of her.) Hopefully she lands somewhere good because I really want to see her on tv.

Go on the Today show facebook page, viewers never warmed up to her. Jenna had her share viewers not liking her but people like the free dynamic between Lester, Jenna and Dylan but Erica was like "other woman" or "killjoy". Weekend Today was doing fine with female rotation, Jenna was the main anchor Sunday anchor, people wanted a Saturday anchor to be Kate Snow or Tamron Hall.

I bet Jenna Wolfe is getting the last laugh. There was no reason for Jenna to be kicked off as a co anchor and then news reader.

Except for the fact that Jenna was terrible on Sunday Today. The drop-off from Robach to her was pretty stark.

As I've said before, I've always been pretty meh on Hill. Doesn't stand out but you could do worse. She and Wragge never stood a chance on the last rendition of the Early Show and she wasn't really going anywhere at NBC. Given that there's no regular Saturday co-host as is, I'm interested in seeing what NBC will do here.

• Like 1

She would be considered to old for local news especially the big markets like NYC, Chicago &Philly. At best she would qualify for a low level market in a blue collar town.

Frankly, her blandness and delivery would be what kept her out of a big market, not her age.

Except for the fact that Jenna was terrible on Sunday Today. The drop-off from Robach to her was pretty stark.

As I've said before, I've always been pretty meh on Hill. Doesn't stand out but you could do worse. She and Wragge never stood a chance on the last rendition of the Early Show and she wasn't really going anywhere at NBC. Given that there's no regular Saturday co-host as is, I'm interested in seeing what NBC will do here.

Frankly, her blandness and delivery would be what kept her out of a big market, not her age.

Campbell Brown was probably the best female weekend Today anchor, and Amy Robach was the better female weekend Today anchor post Campbell Brown era. What Weekend Today show did wrong was letting Jenna push her workouts and they created a monster with her hyper self promotion. She became obssessed with the workouts and wanted Lester to partake in the workouts which was a big no no! NBC would have avoided trouble if they hired a Saturday anchor from within the NBC talent pool like Kate Snow, Sara Haines or Veronica de la Cruz. It was quite a gamble that NBC took when they hired Hill to Weekend Today. Erica Hill was demoted for a reason, she is disconnected, her problem besides her blandness was that she lacks warmth and patronizing attitude towards her co-anchors.

Ahh, the old days of Lester and Campbell were awesome. I enjoyed weekend Today with that duo more so than the weekday version. If memory serves correct, Lester replaced David Bloom after his passing and Campbell replaced Soledad O'brien?

• Like 1

Ahh, the old days of Lester and Campbell were awesome. I enjoyed weekend Today with that duo more so than the weekday version. If memory serves correct, Lester replaced David Bloom after his passing and Campbell replaced Soledad O'brien?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure the Brown/Bloom team lasted only a few months before David's death.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure the Brown/Bloom team lasted only a few months before David's death.

Brown and Bloom were not co-anchors together. When David died his co-anchor was Soledad O'Brien. Katie and Matt joined her for a special edition of Weekend Today celebrating David. Several months later Soledad went over to CNN and Campbell Brown and Lester Holt joined Weekend Today together.

• Like 1

Yes, yes, absolutely yes.

I enjoyed the Lester Holt and Campbell Brown team, pleasant to watch and not over the top. They had a more cerebral focus. You can tell that they were legit journalists doing their jobs hosting a morning show more than personalities who are reading the news which is what we see on the Weekday Today. Lester Holt tenure was the best era in Weekend Today's history; I don't think they can ever replicate the success of his era which is why they are doing the necessary changes by giving Willie Geist his own show.

I think it will be a good change and good way to break the format.

Maybe Erica can try her hand at the local level in NY. If not, I'm sure CNN could find something for her.

I don't think CNN would want her back, they are doing fine without her she ain't no Diane Sawyer or Martha Raddatz. She is a small fish in a big pond when it comes looking for national news jobs. Her inconsistent career hurts her chances of ever getting another top anchor job. At best she can be a substitute anchor in NY and become an anchor in local news in a small medium market will be best for her. At her age stability is more important then a big paycheck. She should stop shopping for national news jobs check her ego out the door and look for a medium market level job. She should be smart like her former co-worker Russ Mitchell from CBS who knew that national news was not for him and became an anchor in a medium size tv station in Ohio.

It seems like most on here but a few agree that Erica is just bad. But has anything actually been confirmed that she's leaving?

I suspect that as soon as Willie Geist's show is launched which they say will be in April, then Erica Hill will leave. Maybe her and the Shenielle will swap hosting back and fourth. From what the report said, it seems like she her contract won't be renewed with NBC and they are going to part ways.

Not surprise about Erica. I predicted Willie would join Weekend TODAY Show last year when Brian was let go at Nightly News and Lester got that Job. Erica is just not strong enough to be lead anchor.

There is now a story out there that Matt is leaning towards not renewing his contract at the end of the year: http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/03/02/today-show-insiders-matt-lauer-likely-to-leave-when-contract-is-up-this-year

Just in time for the Inauguration don't you say? It perfect opportunity to introduce a New Team. Willie has been filling in for Matt in recent weeks more then Carson so i could be he will be hosting Weekend TODAY until January.

But then what happens after that with Weekend TODAY?

Gee you think this would be a better time than any other. 2017 will make it what, 20 years as anchor of that show? That's the longest serving tenure for any morning program. Charlie and Joan each had 17 years at GMA, Bryant and Katie did 15 years. 20 is pretty incredible.

The rumors that Matt is leaving has been happening since at least 2010, with Willie, Ann's departure, Katie leaving the Evening News, Carson, etc... They even made a big deal of Ryan Seacrest replacing Matt when he was on Today a few years back.

My opinion is that Matt will not leave Today unless they have a succession plan in place. Even though all signs point to it being Willie, I don't think he's the future of the show.

As a #throwbackthursday #tbt, I found a clip of what seems to be one of the first of many times Matt filled in for Bryant back in April 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhJIoN8Sho

The rumors were that Matt was leaving Today a few years ago but that he decided to stay because of Meredith's departure and the fallout of Ann's departure. There's no reason to believe that he's actually leaving other than the fact that he's been there for 20 years and this seems like the good time to hang it up.