Today Show

todayshowproducer

I don't think either Savannah or Ann were the right successors for Meredith in 2011. Natalie perhaps, but I don't see many full episode clips on YouTube where she substitute hosted to make a full assessment. Amy Robach was solid when she anchored with Lester.

As for modern Today, Savannah has been trying and Hoda is okay. The biggest issue is story choice and on air appearance at this point.

Edited by iron_lion

I  think a big problem that the TODAY show has is that Comcast doesn't seem to have the same handle on what's going on day to day with the show.  I think when GE owned NBC, NBC NEWS was a much much better run organization.

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:13 PM, MorningNews said:

Savannah for as nice as she seems is just one of the weaker anchors in the show’s storied history imo.

I think she does better with the hard news stuff. It the lighter fare (unless of  course she interviewing her idol Katie), where I think she struggles sometimes (especially cooking segments). This is where Hoda does a better job.  I do  think she has  grown a bit more into the role since Matt left. 

About Katie book: Despite some of the negative attention it has gotten I do plan on reading it.  I watching her interview last week on TODAY and was thinking that I would rather a person who writing about their life  is honest and not peachy about everything and pretends  they liked every person that ever met.  Cause that not possible. I think we et  too use sometimes to these "nice nice"" memoirs..  Context is also important nit just bits and pieces that is given to us 

Edited by TVNewsJunkie15

I have been reading  reading Katie Book and enjoying it so far. I suggest people ignore what has been written about it and read it for yourself. Context is important.  People will read things as they want to sometimes and make assumptions. 

Not sure what Deborah beef is?  Hopefully, she will read the copy for herself that Katie sent. Katie actually has nothing but kinds things to say about her and is even sympathetic about the whole transition and the way it was done and how Deborah was portrayed.

Same with Ashleigh Banfield., Katie never criticize  her. or says that she tried to sabotage her career. The only time Katie mentions her is something her father said (which was not bad at all). Of course he going to think no is as good his daughter.  Katie does says sometimes she felt like had to protect her turf which is reasonable dafter seeing what happened with Jane and as she got odder.  However, she never says (or hints)  that she intentionally  sabotage a career in order to  keep her own.    She never (that she wrote) ever acted cruel  towards any them or mistreated them.  Seems they going by what others are saying  (as I said above)  who are taking the words and turning into something it actually not. 

I sure Robin,, Savannah and Hoda are all protective of their jobs at time.  Who wouldn't be especially in that business?  I remember when Robin went on sick leave  in 2012 when she has MDS ABC sent out a warning not jockey for her spot.   That women who  guest hosted were only filling it temporally 

• 2 months later...

Saw a promo this morning, that they will be celebrating 70 years on Friday. It will be interesting if any people show up. Katie might but would Jane since she’s working for CBS?  Bryant? Obviously no Matt and I’m sure clips will be chosen carefully so that he’s not in the picture. 

Edited by G2000

I imagine this year’s anniversary will be very lowkey due to the pandemic. The fact that they’re only promoting it one week out compared to how they’ve marked their 50, 55 and 60th anniversaries. It’s crazy to think of how much the show has changed and been through since the 60th anniversary. It’s almost an entirely different program. 

Kathie Lee, Nancy Snyderman, Josh Elliott and Sam Champion were among NBCers who appeared on GMA for the 40th anniversary so I’d bet we could expect to see Tom, Jane, Bryant, Katie, Meredith and at least Kathie Lee in some capacity despite their respective roles today.

With Hoda and Savannah both  testing for Coovid there will probably be no  party or celebration this year. Even if they were there it likely was not gonna  like  in the past (40th, 50th, 50th) where all the former anchors and hosts show up, etc.,. There will probably bee a few clips montage I imagine but nothing major.  They were all suppose to appear at The Paley Center this week on Thursday but I notice this morning the page has been taken down. 

When Dylan returns from maternity I suspect she will cut back on her 6 day workweek and exit Saturday Today… given that show is based in DC now they should do what had been done in the past with the weekend news desk role(where various NBC/CNBC/MSNBC anchors filled in) and rotate local DC area meteorologists.

Looks like a big anniversary with time to fill.  Since Matt went non-grata, and he was one of the longest-running hosts/anchors, the editors and producers will have to likely do a lot of editing.  Besides Matt, it's pretty certain we won't see Tamron, Ann, or Megan Kelly.  It would be nice to see Barbara again, if she were well and up and around, as she is really the last of the long-time anchors from the earlier years.  As for those able to do in-person segments and distant interviews, we still have Bryant, Jane, Katie, Meredith, Deborah, and Kathie Lee.  Hoda is back but Savannah has been distant for now, and they *still* have Dylan on maternity leave.  Except for most-recent segments and clips, I guess they can trot out things that have been seen in previous anniversaries and other clip segments.  In any event, it should be interesting to see what they do.

31 minutes ago, Drew said:

In an interview with tvnewser they said they will air clips with Matt layer since he was on the show for so long. I doubt any interview but will see him in clips

Good. They certainly shouldn't celebrate him, but acting like he never existed would be a way for the network to absolve itself of enabling him for as long as did. You enjoyed being #1 with him, but you have to live with the warts, too.

• Like 2

I thought the reference was about being the first female-led anchor team of Today. It was in the same segment where Barbara Walters was mentioned as the first female and Bryant Gumbel as the first black anchors of the show.

Overall a much more subdued anniversary special compared to what we’ve seen before. I actually really liked it too. Today isn’t my morning preference but the show does continue to be the most innovative program of its kind and they keep finding new ways to be innovating. GMA ushered in the lighter morning format, but Today pioneered so many staples of what morning TV is - streetside studios, consumer protection segments, concert series, etc.

It was an understandably scaled down 70th because of the virus, yet still underwhelming. I'm surprised there wasn't at least a zoom panel interview with past hosts. It was just a few pre recorded tributes. 

I notice in the past few years (pre covid) that the plaza is being used less,  excluding live concerts. Having visited the plaza myself it'd be cool of they did more interviews and segments outside, (after COVID and weather permitting of course). This especially to utilize the live audience factor more like GMA did pre-pandemic, and to better engage the crowd that comes in person to visit the show.

Edited by iron_lion

They showed Matt from the 1st year of "Where in the World is Matt Lauer" when he went to Egypt as well as clips from 9/11. He was there for 20 years (23 when you count his years as News Anchor before taking over for Bryant). They can't pretend like he never existed. Although if they were going to include Matt, I think it would only be fair to include Ann and even more so Tamron as she was the first black female Co host! I thought for sure they were going to mention that after Bryant was acknowledged for being the 1st black anchor.

Edited by JustinH
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustinH said:

They showed Matt from the 1st year of "Where in the World is Matt Lauer" when he went to Egypt as well as clips from 9/11. He was there for 20 years (23 when you count his years as News Anchor before taking over for Bryant). They can't pretend like he never existed. Although if they were going to include Matt, I think it would only be fair to include Ann and even more so Tamron as she was the first black female Co host! I thought for sure they were going to mention that after Bryant was acknowledged for being the 1st black anchor.

Tamron Hall should have been mentioned more in the 3rd hour since she was the first for the 3rd hour not the main 2 hours 

• Like 2

Surprised Natalie Morales barely got a mention as well. She almost lasted longer than Matt and her record was cleaner that Lauer's! I get she just got a big send off when she left to go to CBS but to not even get a mention is crazy.

I don't recall Ann in the flashbacks. Did Deborah Norville get a mention? So many anchors have left the show on less than stellar terms: Deborah, Jane, Ann, Tamron, Billy Bush, Megyn Kelly, and of course Matt.

The flashback segments felt too brisk paced. In anniversaries past they really meditated on particular periods of the program to get a sense of what that time was like. 

Edited by iron_lion