Today Show

todayshowproducer

RIP Willard Scott. A lot could be said about just his tenure on TODAY, let alone his other roles (co-hosting Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, his work in Washington prior to getting called up to the network, being the original Ronald McDonald when the character was created for the D.C. area)

Loved Al Roker's tribute to Willard describing him as being like a second father. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Didn’t get to watch this morning but was there any tribute to Willard or maybe that will that be saved for this upcoming week?

Loved Willard and his Smuckers birthday segment.

Jane Pauley had a tribute to him on Sunday Morning. Not sure about the other morning shows.

Here’s our first look at the updates to 1A. It is more of cosmetic updates than anything else. New desk, flooring, and other elements throughout. 

The curved video wall and big weather screen (added after the election) are still there. 

4CA3F150-649B-47DC-AC2A-3064FDA2EAB6.png

2150B011-DECA-4FC9-BA2B-30A0DD44FEE5.png

A9ED01BE-4749-452A-8C62-8BF2204B0560.png

06546DF3-738C-47ED-849D-861C75A312A3.png

Edited by freelanceproducer
  • Thanks 1

Personally I don't really like the desk, seems a little bit crammed and the logo looks kinda ugly there. Would've prefer the desk to have only have the sunrise logo without the text. The new studio matches well with the recently new graphics package which i found it 1000 better than the 2019-2021 one. The floor kinda reminds me of the DC Bureau. Wish they could've added a couch area or something like previous years. 

On 9/7/2021 at 8:25 AM, Daybreak said:

So I Craig at the desk when the show starts?  If so this is giving off GMA/CBS Mornings vibes LOL! 

He joins the desk between 7:15 - 7:30, depending on the news day. He is officially named the 'news anchor' similar to what Natalie and Ann used to be. However, he largely just anchors parts of the show. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dylan Dryer posted on Facebook this morning that viewers won’t be seeing her for a while. Her water broke Sunday evening 6 weeks early said doctors are doing everything they can to make sure her new baby cooks a little longer but Dylan mentioned she’s doing fine and baby is fine and that possibly a new baby could be born this week. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 6:57 AM, JoseRM303 said:

Dylan Dryer posted on Facebook this morning that viewers won’t be seeing her for a while. Her water broke Sunday evening 6 weeks early said doctors are doing everything they can to make sure her new baby cooks a little longer but Dylan mentioned she’s doing fine and baby is fine and that possibly a new baby could be born this week. 

She has given birth - Russell James Fichera. He was 5 pounds, 5 ounces and measured 18 inches long.

• Like 1

There's a new series on TODAY All Day called "Making of TODAY" where Al Roker hosts and gives behind the scenes of TODAY's reporting including a behind the scenes of Studio 1A. 

It looks like Orange Room is still there and unless they only turned it on for this tour, the back wall screen still functions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gqg_eIBqIU

Screenshot (597).png

• Like 1

Natalie Morales is officially leaving Today. 
https://www.today.com/popculture/natalie-morales-leaving-today-after-22-years-nbc-t232872?cid=sm_npd_td_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR00uQ9slLvHOUvDTPh_S_i79yR4X2bbm1PLF7Emmic3N3OPRvAel1spW40

SN: this to me is more of her contract was up because she really wasn’t a mainstay of Today essentially for 4 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Reports are she is joining the talk on cbs. I really enjoyed watching her when she was a regular on Today. Never felt Access Hollywood was the best fit for her. 

I agree that Access Hollywood was never the best fit for her. I feel like she's more of a hard news journalist, but NBC was trying to make her do more entertaintment and celebrity news instead of hard news like she was doing on TODAY as the newsreader. 

• Like 1

I was thinking she would get an overall deal to include the talk moderator/co-host and some CBS News assignment or something. Maybe the CBS News stuff might come later when she is done with Dateline. They did say her reports will go throughout the rest of the year 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. in 2009 and 010, Ann Curry, Natalie Morales,, Savannah Guthrie, Amy Robach, Norah O'Donnell and Erin Burnett were al either seen as potential successors to Meredith  on TODAY Show or were rising starts in the industry.  Now Savannah has been TODAY Show Co-anchor  for 9 years,  Norah is now the anchor of CBS Evening News, Amy is the co-anchor or 20/20,  Erin  has a primetime show on CNN. Ann  Curry is doing documentaries on PBS. . 

Natalie? Will she now on the talk.. A "View" wannabe  copycat is way more gossipy and celerity oriented. What happened? well et be hoses here she has never really been seen as a hard news journalist. A lot of that is probably the fault of NBC. They never really treated her fairly or gave a lot of hard news assignment. She never fit on access Hollywood. 

The reason she  ended up in L.A is because her husband got a job offer. Things were changing at NBC.  So they decided to take it. In order to keep her at the network they gave her Access Hollywood and  made her West Coast Correspondent.  Kind of like Ann  "senior correspond" role she didn't do a lot with it so probably a little more then Ann.  You at  least saw Natalie periodically on the show show whether in L.A or NYC.  I don't think NBC really knew what to do with either nd with Ann thee was a lot of awkwardness after what transpired. 

Edited by TVNewsJunkie15
  • Like 3