Today Show

todayshowproducer

On Monday, there was a segment where we saw Savannah, Hoda, Carson, Al, and Craig all gather together to eat at a restaurant, celebrating how they're all vaccinated and that they can safely gather together as a group again.  But as they were introducing this segment, we notice all of them in 5 separate camera shots, socially distancing.  Why would they all be apart when they wanted to celebrate being together?  😕

image.thumb.png.729284542997e3c20e90808232f6cac9.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdex86 said:

On Monday, there was a segment where we saw Savannah, Hoda, Carson, Al, and Craig all gather together to eat at a restaurant, celebrating how they're all vaccinated and that they can safely gather together as a group again.  But as they were introducing this segment, we notice all of them in 5 separate camera shots, socially distancing.  Why would they all be apart when they wanted to celebrate being together?  😕

Savannah has been working from home recently (I would assume in quarantine before traveling to Tokyo). Al appears to be in his upstate house here.

The other three are all seated in front of the video wall in 1A. However, having them in a three shot next to two remote boxes would make everyone too small to see. So visually, it is easier to have everyone like this. 

For reference, I have attached a pic of what they look like in the studio.

image.thumb.png.111508a4914dbf9def75611c7c623d2b.png

Edited by freelanceproducer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kdex86 said:

That’s odd. Honestly with stories of people getting seriously ill with the delta variant I would be hesitant about eating indoors right now.

5 hours ago, kdex86 said:

Ah, okay.  It looks like Today has embraced a "hybrid work model", just like my employer.

Makes sense and with the delta variant that may become more common.

• Like 1

This was an interesting read by FOX NEWS discussing the Today Show. The only thing I agree with was the Ann Curry situation. Ann Curry and Matt Lauer had zero chemistry together hosting Today but I was one of the few that dipped out Once Ann was canned. The optics of her being fired from her dream job and becoming the "Today Anchor At-Large" was not very becoming of America's Family LOL. 

The article discusses how ratings are the "lowest" it has ever been in 30 years. Reaching below 3 millions viewers. However, ratings are down as a whole on all Morning Shows. I believe part of the reason why the ratings are down because, the news is depressing, over sensationalized and they never really get down to the facts. I do think the Olympics might help some in the coming weeks. What are you all thoughts? 

I personally always liked the Vieira, Lauer, Roker and Curry team the best.  I still watch though.  Don’t care for GMA or the morning cable options.  Where are people going in the mornings?  If ratings report is true, I’m sure changes are coming.  

I think that more than anything industry trends have led to the low numbers. The days of Today averaging 6.5 M viewers were also the days when primetime shows were pulling in 20-30 M viewers and that hasn’t been the case for close to 10 years now.

To a lesser extent, I believe (and hope) that the low numbers are a response to how bad GMA and Today are these days. It’s just complete trash watching the first 2 hours of both. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I think that more than anything industry trends have led to the low numbers. The days of Today averaging 6.5 M viewers were also the days when primetime shows were pulling in 20-30 M viewers and that hasn’t been the case for close to 10 years now.

To a lesser extent, I believe (and hope) that the low numbers are a response to how bad GMA and Today are these days. It’s just complete trash watching the first 2 hours of both. 

All I can say is thank goodness for CBS This Morning!! (Newsy is another worthy alternative, with Alex Livingston doing a wonderful job in mornings on the channel!)

• Like 1

Well for starters:  the entire American TV Viewing  Audience has dropped as a whole.  Morning Shows is not the only genre or day part  that has seen it ratings drop. Sunday Shows, Evening News Shows, Daytime Shows, Late Night and even Primetime have seen ratings slip as a whole.  

There is of course a lot of options now then there were 10-15 years ago and different ways to watch to watch tv shows. With Morning Shows people can live stream on tablets, computers, phones, etc,. Without having to turn on the TV. People can now DVR and of course wait until full episodes of morning shows are posted online to watch them.  Not including Sporting Events and major news events TODAY Show has not averaged 6.5 million viewers on daily basic in at least 20 years.   2.4 Million is not unusual for CBS although not to recently they were getting 3.6 million on a daily basic the best a CBS Morning Show had ever done.  

Morning Shows ratings always tend to drop in the summer and then recover some of it lost viewership in the fall. 

However I do think COVID is to blame for more recent lost viewership. I think people are “Covid-out” tbh. That and the Election  has practically been the only thing these shows have covered over the last year be I know they were the two big new stories last year but for many weeks Covid was non stop.  I think people got tired after awhile and had no interest in watching the host do the show from home and celebrities (far on between” doing virtual interviews also from home.  Also the constant coverage on Trump and the 2020 Election (some of which might be bias depending on your viewed) has probably turned some off.  People are Covid fatigued and Election fatigued.    TODAY and GMA were averaging 3.9-4.5 (1980s average) million before Covid hit. When life finally get back to 2019 normalcy and covid is thing of the pass and the shows get back fully to normal I think they will recover some of their lost viewership. Of course it won’t be 2000s or early 2010s level. 

these shows have always  lighter side however they gotten even more fluff over the last 15 years or so. Also the way the fluff is presented has changed. If that make sense 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

What's the rationale? Please don't say "delta variant"...

I doubt it's COVID as they'd be in quarantine in Japan had they tested positive. NBC may want someone back in Studio 1A.

Certainly. Foreign reporters and journalists are mostly  confined to their hotels and sets. Unless previous Olympics they  really can’t go out and explore like they been able to in the past due to COVID.   

Savannah was in Tokyo fir 6 days before the opening ceremony. Seeing as she and Hods have young kids they probably didn’t want to be away for long. 

• Like 1

In a Instagram live with his wife, Al said they didn’t believe they would have as much access to the olympians, I also feel I heard this elsewhere too (maybe some of the Today show XM podcasts). The thinking is that they would only be able to zoom interview the olympians. 

So, for planning, they thought the show would be boring and only planned for  1 week it sounds like. 

55 minutes ago, MikeBucc said:

In a Instagram live with his wife, Al said they didn’t believe they would have as much access to the olympians, I also feel I heard this elsewhere too (maybe some of the Today show XM podcasts). The thinking is that they would only be able to zoom interview the olympians. 

So, for planning, they thought the show would be boring and only planned for  1 week it sounds like. 

At least they can have an audience at Studio 1A.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, Daybreak said:

The only thing I agree with was the Ann Curry situation. Ann Curry and Matt Lauer had zero chemistry together hosting Today but I was one of the few that dipped out Once Ann was canned. 

The article discusses how ratings are the "lowest" it has ever been in 30 years. Reaching below 3 millions viewers. However, ratings are down as a whole on all Morning Shows. I believe part of the reason why the ratings are down because, the news is depressing, over sensationalized and they never really get down to the facts. I do think the Olympics might help some in the coming weeks. What are you all thoughts? 

Ann and Matt had zero chemistry. Ann to her credit is a serious newswoman and should have remained as the newsreader. BUT as much as I’m warming up to Savannah, Ann was superior. I just wish Meredith would have never left!

Once Ann was out, coupled with the reformatting of Today when Studio 1A went from orange to blue around 2013, marked a sharp quality decline in the program. Add that against the team of Robin/George/Josh/Lara/Sam on GMA, and there was no going back for Today. Worse yet, Today is severely dumbed down compared to the days of Jane, Bryant , Matt and Katie.

CBS This Morning is the best on the air right now and deserves to be #1. I agree that morning news ratings are down as a whole because of changing viewer habits and the litany of depressing news over the past decade. COVID and the Election on repeat became annoying after a while. Moreover, the quality of tv shows from as a whole from cable to broadcast isn’t as good as it used to be IMO.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Hoda and Craig are actually still in Tokyo. Al and Savannah back in Studio 1A.

That sounds better than having everyone back after only one week... My new theory is that Savannah must have had the week leading up to the games plus last week as her two weeks, Hoda sticks around this week and anchors the closing ceremonies with Tirico?

On 8/1/2021 at 8:09 AM, iron_lion said:

Ann and Matt had zero chemistry. Ann to her credit is a serious newswoman and should have remained as the newsreader. BUT as much as I’m warming up to Savannah, Ann was superior. I just wish Meredith would have never left!

Once Ann was out, coupled with the reformatting of Today when Studio 1A went from orange to blue around 2013, marked a sharp quality decline in the program. Add that against the team of Robin/George/Josh/Lara/Sam on GMA, and there was no going back for Today. Worse yet, Today is severely dumbed down compared to the days of Jane, Bryant , Matt and Katie.

CBS This Morning is the best on the air right now and deserves to be #1. I agree that morning news ratings are down as a whole because of changing viewer habits and the litany of depressing news over the past decade. COVID and the Election on repeat became annoying after a while. Moreover, the quality of tv shows from as a whole from cable to broadcast isn’t as good as it used to be IMO.

The Today Show had the best combination of personalities with Matt Lauer and Katie Couric and then Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera. But Ann Curry was an excellent reporter and news anchor. And I miss Kathie Lee Gifford on the 4th hour, and I appreciate the way they allowed the legend Regis Philbin to make guest appearances. But I agree the best morning show now is CBS This Morning. 

• Like 1

While Katie and Matt were a great duo, Today’s best pair in my opinion were Matt and Meredith. The way they played off on one another and weren’t afraid to take it a little more risqué in the morning was fun to watch (maybe less so following Matt’s inappropriate BTS behavior).

• Like 2

Does anyone else wonder if Studio 1A is receiving some updates? I only saw the first 3 hours this morning and all of it was outside. I wouldn’t expect a major redo but updating the tracking panels, tweaks to the 2nd floor and figuring out what to do with the video wall covering the orange room is very realistic. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jrogo said:

Does anyone else wonder if Studio 1A is receiving some updates? I only saw the first 3 hours this morning and all of it was outside. I wouldn’t expect a major redo but updating the tracking panels, tweaks to the 2nd floor and figuring out what to do with the video wall covering the orange room is very realistic. 

Definitely plausible! Hasn't 1A gotten an update each of the last three Olympics?

It would be nice if they adjusted it to bring back some of the "America's Living Room" feel... The giant video wall just feels so cold and generic.

• Like 4