Today Show

todayshowproducer

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Deborah wasn't bad at all! Granted, Katie and Jane were more 'star forces' on the program but Deborah was pleasant, capable and decent from what I've seen of her tenure online. 

Deborah and Bryant did not make a good pairing at all and NBC certainly did her no favors with the shitty transition of very clearly pushing Jane out in favor of a 10 years younger carbon copy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Deborah and Bryant did not make a good pairing at all and NBC certainly did her no favors with the shitty transition of very clearly pushing Jane out in favor of a 10 years younger carbon copy. 

They were not a good match. Perhaps if NBC gave Jane another 2 years maybe Deborah would have had a chance to do well in the long term. Supposedly Matt Lauer was approached about take over for Bryant Gumbel in early 1995 and he did not accept because Bryant wasn’t read to leave at the time. That likely help him along with him and Katie being a good team despite him being a terrible person.

Bryant and Deborah as a team was so so compared to his to his two pairings. Jane definitely should not have been pushed out. Speaking on Deborah herself as anchor, I liked her.

Bryant and Katie was a better pairing as she was a strong female co-host, but I preferred Katie with Matt and Bryant with Jane. Gumbell and Couric felt a little tense. I found Katie and Matt however to be more laid back and relaxed together. The Bryant/Jane years on the other hand were really strong because of it's sophisticated and intellectual tone. The prime era of Today to me was either the Bryant/Jane or the Matt/Katie years. 

Edited by iron_lion

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, JoseRM303 said:

NBCs chief White House correspondent and Saturday Today anchor Kristen Welker and her husband John Hughes are expecting a baby girl via a surrogate.

https://www.today.com/parents/kristen-welker-s-letter-daughter-about-surrogacy-today-t215915

That’s wonderful news. I presume KW will take at least a few weeks off once their baby is born.

54 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

That’s wonderful news. I presume KW will take at least a few weeks off once their baby is born.

She’ll likely take the typical 12 week maternity leave when baby girl is born so expect her to be out all summer. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Do with this info what you will. They usually have solid sourcing (even when they aren't lifting scoops from us. 😆)

That's a shame ... I like the current look ... It really didn't age.

If true tho, what will KSL 5 do then?  LOL

-- Matt

The previous look was better, cleaner, and simpler. 

IMO I like the diagonal sides concept but the angle looks too steep.

The breaking news L3 on the other hand looks better because of the white box addition, instead of the solid color taking up the whole bar.

16200399851927711475645459132691.jpg

16200401374806771778563027465422.jpg

16200403841175077612380606171704.jpg

Edited by iron_lion

53 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

The current previous look was better, cleaner, and simpler.

Agreed. The new package just feels too busy- the angles, transitions... Not good if you have a short attention span like I do!

The use of blue as the primary also wasn't great- you know, CTM and GMA's primary color. That said, one of Today's new shade's of blue feels very CTM-ish...

• Like 1

To its credit, this new L3 (if the white boxes were added to all graphics and not just the breaking news one) looks better than GMA and CTM's, which isn't saying much. I'm surprised to hear myself say this but the generic white box would have elevated the look in this case.

GMA is just a big blue box and CTM's graphics (as someone stated) looks like an unreal news program on a TV show. Their best L3 was their debut look in 2012.

Except for the previous package, Today has really struggled with lower thirds since they axed the 2009/2010 look.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

To its credit, this new L3 (if the white boxes were added to all graphics and not just the breaking news one) looks better than GMA and CTM's, which isn't saying much. I'm surprised to hear myself say this but the generic white box would have elevated the look in this case.

GMA is just a big blue box and CTM's graphics (as someone stated) looks like an unreal news program on a TV show. Their best L3 was their debut look in 2012.

Except for the previous package, Today has really struggled with lower thirds since they axed the 2009/2010 look.

What was the 09/10 look again?

2 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

What was the 09/10 look again?

This was the 2009 redesign. I liked the moving green red orange color lines concept on the upper bar.

Screenshot_20210503-102243.png

The approx 2012 remodel would have been better had it been centered rather than attached to the right, leaving too much space on the left.

Screenshot_20210503-102524.png

The 2013 update was just atrocious.

Screenshot_20210503-102554.png

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mughunter said:

I'm surprised they didn't do something similar to the MSNBC package.

Forgive me here, but it does bear some resemblance. The style of the lower-3rd basically seems to be from the same family, though the font is another story. 

I agree with the others that the previous package was just fine, but...well, if we hate this one, we can always count on a new style come 2024. 

Now I'm wondering if they'll be modifying the Nightly News package any time soon.

And lastly, the O&Os seem pretty all but certain to happen anytime now. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, iron_lion said:

The previous look was better, cleaner, and simpler. 

IMO I like the diagonal sides concept but the angle looks too steep.

The breaking news L3 on the other hand looks better because of the white box addition, instead of the solid color taking up the whole bar.

16200399851927711475645459132691.jpg

16200401374806771778563027465422.jpg

16200403841175077612380606171704.jpg

The 2nd image is way too CNN-ish.

There really wasn't anything wrong with the previous L3s and graphics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That desk is obnoxiously large, I’m hoping they’ll reconfigure shortly.

Will be interesting to see if and when GMA goes back to normal distancing considering Ginger and Lara haven’t been in the studio since March 2020.

The 7 a.m. half hour on Thursday with the Liz Cheyney interview was pretty good. Today could be a quasi serious, respectable news program again, if it tried. Its also great that they re incorporated the news reader role with Craig Melvin.

Edited by iron_lion