Today Show

todayshowproducer

Today is not reluctant to remove personalities from their history as we’ve already seen on a number of occasions. I imagine Matt will not be involved at all in any Today history moving forward. I mean he and Meredith don’t even speak anymore following the allegations, I don’t see how they awkwardly put him in a room full of colleagues that have testified against him.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Today is not reluctant to remove personalities from their history as we’ve already seen on a number of occasions. I imagine Matt will not be involved at all in any Today history moving forward. I mean he and Meredith don’t even speak anymore following the allegations, I don’t see how they awkwardly put him in a room full of colleagues that have testified against him.

They also act like Ann Curry and Deborah Norville no longer exist. I doubt that Matt will be involved with any event pertaining to the Torah show. I guess Meredith doesn’t care for what he was accused of doing. I think it would be quite awkward and even wrong to expect people who testified against him to be in the same room as him for a celebration. Apparently it was also a dislike on the part of NBC and the Today Show that he was even able to get away with as much as he did. They probably want to forget about it.

• Like 3

I noticed this desk this morning at the start of the Today Show. Studio 1A will be home to NBC's Decision 2020, so this desk might be used solely for election night. However, it is very similar to Today's normal desk so I wonder if it'll become a permanent Today fixture after the election. Al's current weather monitor was first used for the 2018 midterm election, so it wouldn't be a first if an election item became a Today fixture. 

I really like it!! 

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.10.04 PM.png

Edited by freelanceproducer
  • Like 2

Maybe or they may move it over to NBC News Now. I hear they may be redoing a studio for them and adding more Live editions. Also NBC’s coverage is titled Decision 2020. Democracy 2020 is Fox 

It's understandable that Matt wouldn't be invited to the 70th Anniversary celebration should it occur, but he was on the show for 23 years it makes no sense to act like he never existed. They shouldn't cut him out of flashbacks as he was involved in momentous coverage like 9/11, Bin Laden's death, and the 2000 election. The same goes for Ann Curry and Deborah Norville. Perhaps they could briefly acknowledge him to get it out of the way so his lack of a presence there doesn't overshadow everything.

I like the election set up. I wish they'd include more of a tangible physical set, rather than a mostly barren studio with a video wall. I like video walls, they're flexible and cost effective. On the other hand, a good physical set goes a long way. Today had a lot of good sets pre 2013. I don't think there was a bad one anywhere from the late 70s Brokaw/Pauley era set, to the early 90s wooden set. Studio 1A looked especially good from it's mid 90s debut up until they redesigned it somewhere around 2003. The redesign from Meredith's arrival to 2013 was a good comeback. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

No one's saying to celebrate Lauer, but he was a part of the show's history. The show had no problem keeping him around when ratings were good, they should also have to bear the weight of his disgrace. When you're guilty of enabling, you don't get to erase him from historically important material and act like he never existed. Like 9/11, for example. He was there. Deal with it.

• Like 5

It's almost like Frank McGee. It's well reported that he was misogynistic and created a toxic work environment for Barbara Walters. It makes no sense however, to sanitize history and act like he didn't host the show, There's a difference between celebrating someone and acknowledging their existence or contribution to the show's history. 

Edited by iron_lion

About TODAY Show 70th anniversary.  We may end up only with  Jim Hartz,  Tom Brokaw, Jane Pauley, Bryant Gumble, Deborah Norville, Katie Couric and Meredith Vieria showing up.  Huge Downs died  this year. Barbra Walters has Dementia and is not doing well. She may not be around by then.  If she alive she won't be able to attend anyway.   

I be surprised if Matt showed up. He may not even be invited at all which is a real shame (but I guess understanble)  as he was on the show for 23 years of which he was co-ancho for 20  (during which for most of the time the show  had  it greatest Ratings and longest streak at Number ),  and was a face of the TODAY  Show for the better part of the last  12 years he was there.   I could see Ann curry being invited but whether she decide to attend is another question.  There is now a whole new  management (couple times actually)  in place at TODAY Show and NBC News since 2012.  .  

Depending on how much of an issue COVID is by then  it may be scrapped all together however experts are predicting that life will (hopeful!) get back to pre COVID normalcy by the end of  next year.  It could also be a more scaled down affair form 2012.  Certainly  any type of celebration and whoever shows up there will be that "elephant"  in the room.  Ann removal and Matt firing. 

7 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Barbara has dementia? Wow, I hadn’t heard that but it might explain why we have no seen her at all in any capacity since retiring.

Yes.  Her last public appearance  was in 2016. she is currently confined to to her apartment  and allows almost no visitors except for close family.  Very sad! 

Her family and  manager had not   made a public statement about it. Biggest dictator is that last year Sheri Sphered and Jenny McCarthy made comments last year suggesting she not doing well. A Big indicator of her deteriorating  health was the death of Hugh Downs and Regis Philbin this year. She and Hugh had been friends and working partners for 50 years or so. She was also very  good friends with Regis for decades.  She did not make any kind of  statement on either of their death and no statement was ever put out  on her behalf about their death. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

I be surprised if Matt showed up. He may not even be invited at all which is a real shame (but I guess understanble)  as he was on the show for 23 years of which he was co-ancho for 20  (during which for most of the time the show  had  it greatest Ratings and longest streak at Number ),  and was a face of the TODAY  Show for the better part of the last  12 years he was there.   I could see Ann curry being invited but whether she decide to attend is another question.  There is now a whole new  management (couple times actually)  in place at TODAY Show and NBC News since 2012.  .  

Neither Matt or Ann will be included. They were both absent from the Studio 1A 25th anniversary celebration last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/06/20/today-excludes-matt-lauer-ann-curry-25th-anniversary-video/1518135001/

Edited by Ntropolis

1 hour ago, Ntropolis said:

Neither Matt or Ann will be included. They were both absent from the Studio 1A 25th anniversary celebration last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/06/20/today-excludes-matt-lauer-ann-curry-25th-anniversary-video/1518135001/

I can agree on Matt, but not necessarily Ann. Norville was let go under similar circumstances as Curry, yet the bad blood has boiled down to the point that it has completely gone away as she was present at the last anniversary.

• Like 1

Get well Al! Not you too!

Been wondering about Barbra. That's sad! All the legends I grew up with (Regis, Alex Trebek, etc..) and am now old enough to appreciate, are passing away.

Hopefully Ann comes or is invited to the 70th. She was a critical part of that show. I read an article sometime ago in which the writer remarked that NBC's biggest mistake was bringing Ann to the anchor desk, to begin with.  Do you all agree? Ann put in her dues as news reader so she was due for elevation to the seat. I will say that she didn't have as much chemistry with Matt , as did Katie and Meredith. Once she left, plus the format changes, and the studio redesign, Today's quality decline was cemented for me. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, newseider said:

Could a refresh be coming to 1A? I noticed on the outside shot out of the open this morning, 1A was all boarded up. They also did the show from the big wall area only. Not sure if they are renovating or it’s boarded up for post election reasons?

Because of the Pandemic. 

• Like 1

NBC has boarded up Studio 1A a number of times this year. Considering nearly every other window front attraction in Midtown Manhattan was similarly boarded up, I’d say they are just taking precautions.

During the George Floyd protests they did a similar set up and because the studio would look odd with boarded up windows behind them, they altered the set to sit in front of the large screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

NBC has boarded up Studio 1A a number of times this year. Considering nearly every other window front attraction in Midtown Manhattan was similarly boarded up, I’d say they are just taking precautions.

During the George Floyd protests they did a similar set up and because the studio would look odd with boarded up windows behind them, they altered the set to sit in front of the large screen.

Interesting, looks like they took them down this morning. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...