Today Show

todayshowproducer

2 hours ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Someone awhile back said they were surprised that Al is still on this show. Honestly, I am not. The person who I am most surprise that has lasted is Carson Daly. He been on the show fo six years now (which I didn't realize until today tha it been that long) and does not seem like he will be leaving anytime soon (which is part of why I think he left his late night show)  but I will say he  has grown into his role on the show very well. I know at the time lot o people has skepticism but he has turned out to be solid addition in the long run I think.  

If he's that dedicated and serious toward the program then he might be gunning for a weekday spot eventually. Or he's decided to own the weekends; that's what I'd do.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Sheinelle Jones is leaving Saturday Today, but will still host the 3rd hour M-F. A rotating list of anchors will sit with Peter Alexander over the next several weeks.

Surprised it took her this long to step down. She's becoming much more of a presence on weekday TODAY, not just in the 3rd hour, so she's on her way up!

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, MorningNews said:

Sheinelle Jones is leaving Saturday Today, but will still host the 3rd hour M-F. A rotating list of anchors will sit with Peter Alexander over the next several weeks.

Kristen Welker would make a good Weekend Today host. I mean who else does NBC have in mind?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Hopefully 'Today' improves in the 20s. I liked seeing Hoda anchor with Lester this morning. That might be a solid paring with Al on weather, Carson on entertainment, and perhaps Savannah at the news desk. 

I doubt that will happen. Hoda and Savannah have really good chemistry and it's be beyond dumb for NBC to take Lester off of Nightly News when they are in the middle of a close ratings battle with WNT.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jbnews said:

I doubt that will happen. Hoda and Savannah have really good chemistry and it's be beyond dumb for NBC to take Lester off of Nightly News when they are in the middle of a close ratings battle with WNT.

I think they need to enhance Lester's platform. He needs to make more of a presence on the digital landscape. 

7 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Hopefully 'Today' improves in the 20s. I liked seeing Hoda anchor with Lester this morning. That might be a solid paring with Al on weather, Carson on entertainment, and perhaps Savannah at the news desk. 

I love Lester in any program he is in, he has good chemistry with everybody and they all seem relaxed when he is around. I think he would be great on the Today show in a more occassional occurence due to the elections coming up. Craig Melvin is a nice guy but you can't take him seriously when it comes to hard news oriented aspect of the Today show programming. Lester can fill that void and I am sure he be MVPing on the network with the elections and interviews. 

• Like 1

Lester is a solid evening/morning host and brings a great hard news presence.

As for Nightly News,  I liked Brian Williams in the chair more given his narrative style of delivery.

No matter who is hosting, Today (GMA included) needs to dial back the silly human interest/pop culture stories and get back to it's pre 2013 tone. 

Edited by iron_lion

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Lester is a solid evening/morning host and brings a great hard news presence.

As for Nightly News,  I liked Brian Williams' in the chair more given his narrative style of delivery.

No matter who is hosting, Today (GMA included) needs to dial back the silly human interest/pop culture stories and get back to it's pre 2013 tone. 

I respect your opinion but Brian Williams more narrative style was one of the reasons why he got in trouble. He suits the cable news format very well but for  being a more down the line news anchor Lester is the best one. You tune into evening news to get the headlines in a fast pinpointed format and he is excellent in doing that. I can't watch too much MSNBC cause a lot of them can't always get to the point. I am not trying to be political but Fox News is better in their approach to the cable news then MSNBC. 

I agree that morning shows have gotten silly but I think we are that point where since not many people are watching they have watered everything done. I don't know who really watches morning shows aside for stay at moms or most likely people who are assisted living or nurisng homes. I don't know any young people watching morning show. 

I think it's really dumb how the morning shows aren't streamed live onto their streaming services which are popular amongst younger news consumers. Young people like me want content wherever they are. I'm not even home at 7am, but I would definitely stream Today if it was offered on NBC News Now. It'd be a great way to get more and younger viewers.

5 hours ago, jbnews said:

I think it's really dumb how the morning shows aren't streamed live onto their streaming services which are popular amongst younger news consumers. Young people like me want content wherever they are. I'm not even home at 7am, but I would definitely stream Today if it was offered on NBC News Now. It'd be a great way to get more and younger viewers.

The reason they do that is because of affiliation contracts if people out west can watch the live video on NBC News Now it would detract the possible audience reach of a local affiliate.   Likewise that’s the similar reason you see CBS Svening News go out around 10:00 on CBSN - it’s the last feed of the night on the CONUS.

As for Today if you have cable/satellite and access to NBC News go you can still watch or if you have SiriusXM you can listen live in your car along with the 7AM ET. I believe SXM now airs Today Show Radio - I have access right now - it airs the show from 7-10AM ET then repeats the first three hours (with updates) as they air on the west coast.  I believe Hoda and Jenna air at 1PM ET. Plus Today Show Radio simulcasts NBC Nightly News. 

On 1/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, Robin Red said:

I agree that morning shows have gotten silly but I think we are that point where since not many people are watching they have watered everything done. I don't know who really watches morning shows aside for stay at moms or most likely people who are assisted living or nurisng homes. I don't know any young people watching morning show. 

Oh, come on. There are more options here than "stay-at-home moms" and people in assisted living/nursing homes. There are:

• Retired people
  • People who work non-"standard" hours and are thus free to have the TV on in the mornings if they're awake
  • People who work from home and are thus also free to have the TV on
  • Stay-at-home dads 😉

And those are just the ones I can think of.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

Oh, come on. There are more options here than "stay-at-home moms" and people in assisted living/nursing homes. There are:

• Retired people
  • People who work non-"standard" hours and are thus free to have the TV on in the mornings if they're awake
  • People who work from home and are thus also free to have the TV on
  • Stay-at-home dads 😉

And those are just the ones I can think of.

Some people also go to work/school later and could watch some of the show.

• Like 1

I   think  the content on The TODAY Show first 2 hours is better now than it was between 2008 and 2013.  The format/tone 10-15 years ago is a bit outdated now. 

Remember there are other ways to watch the show now. People can not DVR it and also watch it online later.  Ratings only count homes  not business like hospitals, gym, etc,. We live in much fast apce society.  There probably other reasons why people are not watching these shows like they used to but I am not going to get into that aspect of it here. 

Edited by TVNewsJunkie15
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LivefromNewYork said:

Two white house correspondents in nyc every Saturday. Are they going to share a ride? Relocate to washington bureau? 

Weekend Today from Washington? What is this, 1989?

(Look it up, y'all.)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, USNewsie said:

Made that call on my post on Christmas eve 12/24.. Knew that was happening.

12 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

They're supposed to be opening a new DC bureau in March...don't put it past 'em.

They are just steps away from Union Station and Acela Express operates at 5:00AM.

I am so happy to see Kristen Welker promoted to Weekend Today, it may not seem like much but hopefully this promotion will have a ripple effect in changing the Today show to focus more on promoting hard news journalists to these spots then getting these fluff no experience people to these jobs. The Today show lost their momentum for a long time cause they kept on promoting fluff no hard news experienced people to these jobs and it watered down the product and lowered the morale.  They are losing their viewership year by year as cable news like Fox and MSNBC continue to grow in viewership. It should be an indicator that hard news/informative content sells and what matters then a lot of this entertainment fluff in the morning. Congrats to Kirsten and I may watch Weekend Today the first time in a long time since Lester Holt's promotion to Nightly News/ 

• Thanks 1