Today Show

todayshowproducer

1 hour ago, kdex86 said:

Is there a significant financial or marketing gain by going "national weather --> ad --> local weather" (in that order) vs. "national weather --> local weather --> ad" during the 7:00-7:30 half hour?  Seems very weird to me.

I imagine it’s because you have a captive audience - they have to see the ad for local weather. If it plays when local forecast is over people may not pay as much attention. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, rkolsen said:

I imagine it’s because you have a captive audience - they have to see the ad for local weather. If it plays when local forecast is over people may not pay as much attention. 

Or change the channel, or turn off the TV.  They can probably charge more for that ad spot.

• 1 month later...

Today catching a ton of flack for their 25th anniversary of Studio 1A celebration that completely excluded any mention of Matt Lauer for obvious reason and Ann Curry, for less obvious reasons.

Today can’t help but bungle things like this every single time. They are unrivaled when it comes to talent transitions. This is also a reminder how horribly Ann Curry was treated by the network.

I saw most of the features. They talked about how the set was then, with Bryant and Katie, and how it is now. Why do they need to be mentioned? It's about Studio 1A, this time, not the talent. People need to get a life.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

They also left out Meredith 

Odd because when Meredith Came along it was a major renovation. If I recall correctly there was a hole in the floor supposedly used for cooking segments that was closed off. And when she came they went full hd. I thought I saw her in one of the montages. 

On 6/21/2019 at 12:00 PM, 24994J said:

I saw most of the features. They talked about how the set was then, with Bryant and Katie, and how it is now. Why do they need to be mentioned? It's about Studio 1A, this time, not the talent. People need to get a life.

Just seems to me that when Today does these obnoxious features anyway they spare no chance to include the “family.” In one of the videos I saw, Meredith is shown leading a surprise guest onto the plaza. 

I like when Maria Shriver appear on The TODAY Show.   I think if Arnold Schwarzenegger had not been Governor of California, She would have gotten a co-host job on TODAY at some point.. She would have been a fine replacement for Katie back in 2006 but Meredith was great though.  Or if things had gone differently she could have replaced Meredith in 2011. 

Edited by TVNewsJunkie15

1 hour ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

I like when Maria Shriver appear on The TODAY Show.   I think if Arnold Schwarzenegger had not been Governor of California, She would have gotten a co-host job on TODAY at some point.. She would have been a fine replacement for Katie back in 2006 but Meredith was great though.  Or if things had gone differently she could have replaced Meredith in 2011. 

I also think Campbell Brown would have been a good and likely pick. I was always a fan of hers. I don't think it's a coincidence that she left for CNN shortly after Meredith started. She must have had an out in her contract.

• Like 1

Ann Curry would have been better off remaining on dateline and as the newsreader on today. Had she held out another 4 years she might have currently been anchoring nightly news.

As for Campbell Brown perhaps if she stuck around until 2011 she would have been co-anchor of today.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:52 PM, C Block said:

I also think Campbell Brown would have been a good and likely pick. I was always a fan of hers. I don't think it's a coincidence that she left for CNN shortly after Meredith started. She must have had an out in her contract.

I forgot about Campbell Brown. She would have been a good choice too, Sadly her career has hit a stalemate since leaving CNN. I miss seeing her on TV.  I think you right, she probably left NBC  after because she was passed over for a job on Weekday TODAY Show. 

It sad that  Weekend Anchors are often overlook when it comes ot co-hosting Jobs on The weekday show: Jodi Applegate and Soledad O'Brien  in the late 90s to mid 2000s  were the two of the  likely successor to Katie Couric for awhile for several years.  Jodi Applegate career like Campbell  also seem to hit a stalemate or they are just taking a break but they both left NBC after Kaaie signed new contract.  They both co-hosted Weekend TODAY at different times.  Soledad has had better luck though it seems

Amy Robach has often made it clear that the  main reason she left  Sunday TODAY and NBC was because she kept being passed over for a job on Weekday TODAY which is what she really wanted. She wrote in her book that she wanted the 9am Job in 2011 which eventually went to Savannah. Se  was using the weekend show as a stepping stone to get a permanent role on the weekday one.  she doing  very well at ABC now.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

I forgot about Campbell Brown. She would have been a good choice too, Sadly her career has hit a stalemate since leaving CNN. I miss seeing her on TV.  I think you right, she probably left NBC  after because she was passed over for a job on Weekday TODAY Show. 

Campbell is probably making a lot more money than she was earning at NBC or CNN. She’s the head of Global News Partnerships at Facebook. 

Slight screw up this morning.  The show started with the normal Today wipe then the blue title slate for the recorded cold open remained on screen for seven seconds before they rolled the normal open with the anchors names.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, MorningNews said:

Of all the people who have come and gone from the show, I can't believe Al Roker has managed to somehow survive it all. To put it into perspective, he was named weatherman when Bryant and Katie were anchoring the show and that was more than 20 years ago.

... and the ending of the famed Live at 5 with Sue, Matt, Len and Al.

I guess that also says that when you are good in your craft that no one can't stop you. Al has gracefully excelled in his craft.

I finished the annual rewatch of Today's 9/11/01 coverage yesterday. That Katie and Matt were kept on air from 7 am - 12 pm is a testament to how respected they were as a duo who could juggle the fun parts of the program, but were also absolute pros at breaking news. Tom Brokaw joined them after about 1.5 hours and instead of letting him take over, Katie and Matt remained front and center. Especially when you consider that ABC and CBS cut away from their morning show teams within the first hour and their flagship anchors took over (Peter Jennings, Dan Rather). I've read before that Today was watched by 40 million Americans at the height of the attack coverage, not that that's anything to necessarily brag about.

I'm not entirely sure if it's because the duo anchored during the coming of the technology age, but Katie and Matt might be the best team in Today's history. Additionally, YouTube is full of some really great world and national history network news coverage. I encourage everyone to check some of it out. I was in second grade during 9/11/01 and while I remember the day itself, I was too young to remember the context of the news other than the images. Haunting yet fascinating stuff.

o-SEPT-11-facebook.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, MorningNews said:

I finished the annual rewatch of Today's 9/11/01 coverage yesterday. That Katie and Matt were kept on air from 7 am - 12 pm is a testament to how respected they were as a duo who could juggle the fun parts of the program, but were also absolute pros at breaking news. Tom Brokaw joined them after about 1.5 hours and instead of letting him take over, Katie and Matt remained front and center. Especially when you consider that ABC and CBS cut away from their morning show teams within the first hour and their flagship anchors took over (Peter Jennings, Dan Rather). I've read before that Today was watched by 40 million Americans at the height of the attack coverage, not that that's anything to necessarily brag about.

I'm not entirely sure if it's because the duo anchored during the coming of the technology age, but Katie and Matt might be the best team in Today's history. Additionally, YouTube is full of some really great world and national history network news coverage. I encourage everyone to check some of it out. I was in second grade during 9/11/01 and while I remember the day itself, I was too young to remember the context of the news other than the images. Haunting yet fascinating stuff.

o-SEPT-11-facebook.jpg

You were in 2nd grade on 9/11? Wow, am I getting old. It was my first day of college...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the sexual misconduct accusations that led to Matt Lauer getting the axe were more serious than previously thought, as a former colleague at NBC is quoted in Ronan Farrow's upcoming book "Catch and Kill" as accusing Lauer of raping her while the Today show crew was covering the 2014 Sochi Olympics 

https://mobile.twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1181898052979830790

41 minutes ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Looks like the sexual misconduct accusations that led to Matt Lauer getting the axe were more serious than previously thought, as a former colleague at NBC is quoted in Ronan Farrow's upcoming book "Catch and Kill" as accusing Lauer of raping her while the Today show crew was covering the 2014 Sochi Olympics 

https://mobile.twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1181898052979830790

Wow. There was a formal complaint made that he had raped someone in his office in 2001, but it happened again in 2014? Hope Matthew Lauer rots.

I can't believe that Meredith Vieira is being cited as the one who urged the victim to report this. They were very close to one another and it's refreshing to see one of these TV personalities can still put morals ahead of entertainment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Wow. There was a formal complaint made that he had raped someone in his office in 2001, but it happened again in 2014? Hope Matthew Lauer rots.

I can't believe that Meredith Vieira is being cited as the one who urged the victim to report this. They were very close to one another and it's refreshing to see one of these TV personalities can still put morals ahead of entertainment.

I'm somewhat suspicious about what people who worked with Lauer "knew" about him. I feel like a lot of them are not saying what they actually knew and are hiding under this blanket of cluelessness in the public eye in order to keep their career and reputation. There's been open jokes and roasts touting Lauer's womanizing ways before the #MeToo movement when this behavior was sectioned off as okay for white men with power.  

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 2