Today Show

todayshowproducer

We'll Meet Again is hosted by Ann Curry and is coming to PBS on January 23rd at 8pm ET/7pm CT.

In other words... YES. Ann Curry has moved on.

I am very excited to watch her new show! From the clips I have seen it looks very good!

• Like 2

Anyone feeling a little underwhelmed by this news? I really thought Willie was on the fast track to ascend into that chair.

Also some tricky in the ratings reporting lead Today to a fifth week over GMA in total viewers. They only counted the averages for 2 days. Had they counted the 4 day average (Christmas being the missing day), like GMA did they’d have lost by 58,000. Not much reason to panic but it takes a little out of the Today is dominant without Matt stories.

Do you think the Today ratings surge is short term or will they bounce back to second place.

• Like 5

I like the choice of Hoda (would have also been happy with Willie or Craig as well) but I think in the long term she should give up the 4th hour. I wonder how breaking news during the 4th hour will be handled.

I've said before, but I wish they would be bring back the newsreader position.

I wonder when Savannah or Hoda is off who will be the main fill-ins.

I think we are overvaluing the Today show and it's personnel nowadays. The Today show is no longer a pivotal source of news and information. It is mainly an advertising block for their sponsors. The Today lost it's steam the last 10 years but after the rise of digital news, network morning television is not longer a vital source to pop culture. Nowadays, the need for a big time anchor is slowly fading especailly on Today show which is 10% news and the rest is all fluff. To me they should turn Today show into entertainment program. Non of the anchors are serious credible journalists.

Give the bookings and interviews to the evening news anchor. Right now Lester is the top anchor at NBC and therefore should have more leverage to do bookings for interviews.

• Like 4

I agree with the newsreader position. They need it back since they really do not utilize Natalie as the “West Coast Anchor” like they originally said they would (a guise to say she’s really not leaving just expanding her role on the show). She’s basically not even on the show like that ( Same concept they said Ann was the Today Anchor At-Large). Bring in Craig, Willie, or even Shaniell?? to that position. I wonder if they’ll let Megyn Kelly to fill in on the first 2 hours of Today going further and has she did that yet?

The newsreader position is a waste of time. The Today show flows better and is much faster pace without having a newsreader. The transitions is much easirer. To tell you the truth there is really no need for 7 people on these morning shows.

I love the CBS format of only 3 people and no weather person.

• Like 7

The newsreader position is a waste of time. The Today show flows better and is much faster pace without having a newsreader. The transitions is much easirer. To tell you the truth there is really no need for 7 people on these morning shows.

I love the CBS format of only 3 people and no weather person.

I think the days of the Morning Shows having a Newsreader in accordance with the Co-anchors are over for the Networks.

CBS did away with it in 2012 and NBC did in 2016. Now GMA has slowing been easing out that position from the show and I think now they have completely cut it from the show and don't have that seat anymore. They don't have a Newsreader anymore thought haven't made it official.

Amy Robach does not give the news anymore like she uses to. She comes on now at 7:30 sometimes 8 doing other things but usually not reading the news.

I think the days of having a Male and Female Co-anchor team with a (Usually Female) Newsreader and a Weatherman (A Male) are over. It is a very 1980s and 1990s format which to the network is probably outdated format now.

Sometimes you need to change things up and not having the newsreader role anymore hasn't hurt NBC and CBS.

• Like 3

I think the days of the Morning Shows having a Newsreader in accordance with the Co-anchors are over for the Networks.

CBS did away with it in 2012 and NBC did in 2016. Now GMA has slowing been easing out that position from the show and I think now they have completely cut it from the show and don't have that seat anymore. They don't have a Newsreader anymore thought haven't made it official.

Amy Robach does not give the news anymore like she uses to. She comes on now at 7:30 sometimes 8 doing other things but usually not reading the news.

I think the days of having a Male and Female Co-anchor team with a (Usually Female) Newsreader and a Weatherman (A Male) are over. It is a very 1980s and 1990s format which to the network is probably outdated format now.

Sometimes you need to change things up and not having the newsreader role anymore hasn't hurt NBC and CBS.

Networks are losing it's relevance. The fact that they are seamlessly doing so many personnel changes only shows how much network morning shows are only consumed by 5% of the population and that news matters more then the host. In reality you only need two people to make a program work. The extra people is only welfare to get people to be on air. Today and GMA talk and cover the most frivilous things, you really don't need a serious journalist on the program anymore. To a serious journalist being on Today and GMA is like taking a holiday from their normal routine. I have a feeling that anchors are soon going to be phased cause on Vice News they have the producers read the news. The producers are behind the scenes journalists who do the dirty work for the anchor. I think producers will take over news programs. Vice News gets more news out in 30 minutes then 2 hours of Today show and 22 minutes of evening news.

Courious how today at 10am started since Hoda was with Savannah to open the show forbidden the west coast edition.

It did not seem to affect the 10 AM start. I wonder if they taped the 10 o'clock hour durning the 9 am hour and then played it at 10. This might be a viable way of having Hoda with Savannah to update the 7:00 clock start for the West Coast instead of having someone else do it with Savannah. (This is just my speculation)

• Like 1

Ann Curry is appearing on CBS This Morning tomorrow to talk about her new PBS series, she also going to be asked about Matt Lauer and her firing from Today as well.

Ann is going to be appearing on ABC's The View next Tuesday. Their are no plans for Ann to appear on NBC/ Today Show, which could mean Ann does not want go back to do an interview on NBC or NBC does not want NBC to come back to do an interview because of the sensitivity of NBC/Ann Curry relation. If the later is true that is a mistake. It would be a good idea to ask Ann on to promote her new show on the network. If the terms of the interview and the interview itself is conducted correctly is could help to close the chapter on Ann Curry for NBC.

The interview could be done on the Today Show, Hoda and Ann are still on good terms I believe I remember few years after Ann was let go from Today, Hoda talked about having lunch with Ann Curry to catch up.

However the other options could include

Doing the interview as a taped piece on Nightly News or she could appear on MSNBC (Morning Joe, MSNBC LIVE)

• Like 6

Ann Curry is appearing on CBS This Morning tomorrow to talk about her new PBS series, she also going to be asked about Matt Lauer and her firing from Today as well.

Ann is going to be appearing on ABC's The View next Tuesday. Their are no plans for Ann to appear on NBC/ Today Show, which could mean Ann does not want go back to do an interview on NBC or NBC does not want NBC to come back to do an interview because of the sensitivity of NBC/Ann Curry relation. If the later is true that is a mistake. It would be a good idea to ask Ann on to promote her new show on the network. If the terms of the interview and the interview itself is conducted correctly is could help to close the chapter on Ann Curry for NBC.

The interview could be done on the Today Show, Hoda and Ann are still on good terms I believe I remember few years after Ann was let go from Today, Hoda talked about having lunch with Ann Curry to catch up.

However the other options could include

Doing the interview as a taped piece on Nightly News or she could appear on MSNBC (Morning Joe, MSNBC LIVE)

Ann and Savannah are on good terms too. Ann has never had anything against Savannah (and has never blamed her) in fact the week Savannah started on the TODAY Show they had Lunch together and still follow each other on Twitter

Ann and Savannah are on good terms too. Ann has never had anything against Savannah (and has never blamed her) in fact the week Savannah started on the TODAY Show they had Lunch together and still follow each other on Twitter

In other words, Ann still has some positive vibes about NBC, at least with some employees.

• Like 1

O’Donnell then asked Curry about Matt Lauer. “I can tell you that I am not surprised by the allegations,” she responded after some hesitation.

“Why aren’t you?” King followed up.

“Well, I would be surprised if something like that did not occur…there was verbal harassment there,” continued Curry.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/ann-curry-is-not-surprised-by-allegations-against-matt-lauer-and-says-there-was-verbal-harassment-against-her/354951

After watching CTM and GMA/People segment on Ann, I see now why she isn’t going on NBC platform. Part of me want to give her a big hug because she been through a lot! Her career dreams were shattered and the place she’s been at since 1997 did nothing to help her. This to me is a perfect example of the Me Too movement. Both her male superiors Remained unscathed and blame for the ratings. Matt continued to have his job and Jamie Bell ( EP) got a job producing the Olympics. The environment at Today seemed very sexist (I know it is a lot of places like this). I hope Ann is a peace! She seems very genuine and you can tell that there is no love lost between her and Matt. I do wonder how she feels about Katie because I believe Katie took up for Matt more and shy away from talking about Ann.

***Breaking News: And will you looking at that! Don Nash the EP that replaced Jamie Bell is leaving and Today is getting a new EP.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/don-nash-leaving-today-show-libby-leist-named-ep/354999

Completely agree. I remember watching Ann's last day and it was pretty damn brutal as a casual viewer to watch what was going down, so I can't imagine how much it hurt Ann especially after weeks of reports that they were pushing her out and no one from the network doing anything to publicly kill the reports. Brian Stelter's book is pretty revealing about how awful the culture at TODAY was/is. Ann's comments to CTM and People corroborate with a lot of what's said in the book.

These assholes harassed Ann daily about her outfits and style, she just took it on the chin and kept doing her job. Matt and the EP both led the regime against her. This is why I don't care to hear Savannah's weeping about how difficult it is to come to terms with "someone you love has done a really bad thing."

Matt can go die.

• Like 2

It very interesting that Anne stayed on TODAY Show for 14 Years before she became co-anchor. She obviously was not close with Matt and Katie (But had a professional working relationship) though She and Al were Friends. It shows that back in the day NBC went to great length to keep 'America First Family' together for as long as it could depsite one of its members not having a close relationship with two fo the others. I get why stayed during the Veiria Years. at least by then, there were more people on the show who she a had good relationship with.

Also with the Environment at the show on top of that I have to ask why did she stay for so long?

• Like 1

So, Bryant, Katie and Anne have now all commented on Matt firing over sexual misconduct. the one person who still hasn't is Meredith Vieira. I wonder why that is?

I’m guessing part of it has to do with Meredith still being employed with or on retainer of NBC News.

So was Katie oblivious, or did Matt and other men just treat her better?

Maybe. But when she was on SHE was the show much like when she left Matt became the show. I’m sure if she didn’t like Matt she could have gotten him fired.

Plus Matt was the new guy there and likely hid his chauvinistic ways to those under him.

It very interesting that Anne stayed on TODAY Show for 14 Years before she became co-anchor. She obviously was not close with Matt and Katie (But had a professional working relationship) though She and Al were Friends. It shows that back in the day NBC went to great length to keep 'America First Family' together for as long as it could depsite one of its members not having a close relationship with two fo the others. I get why stayed during the Veiria Years. at least by then, there were more people on the show who she a had good relationship with.

Also with the Environment at the show on top of that I have to ask why did she stay for so long?

I never believed the stories of animosity between Ann and Katie. I remember the two mentioning their long and frequent discussions on the phone throughout their time together on the show. No idea where that stands now but I do believe they were friends.

Maybe. But when she was on SHE was the show much like when she left Matt became the show. I’m sure if she didn’t like Matt she could have gotten him fired.

Plus Matt was the new guy there and likely hid his chauvinistic ways to those under him.

I think more of it how to do with Katie having the most power and being the biggest star and lead anchor on the show at the time. Same with Meredith expect in her case she wasn't the biggest star on the show or the lead anchor but she was still a well-respected journalist who wield some small power within NBC or more then Savannah did during her time with Matt. she also had Money. neither Katie nor Meredith would have put up with that behavior directly from Matt or nothing that went beyond the general playful flirting, friendly teasing and the brother-sister relationship they had with Matt.

Meredith and Katie would have both quickly reported him and made sure he was in some way punished especially Katie. Depending on how bad it was Katie would have made sure NBC did not renew his contract. I don't think Matt ever tired anything on any of the Women he worked with. He was smart enough to go after Women who had no leverage or power or fame and who needed the Money to make a living.

Katie, Meredith, Jenna Bush and Kathie Lee had Power, Money, and Fame.

I saw Ann's guesting at CTM and it's nice to see her back on air again. I'm looking forward to watching her series/documentary because it showcases Ann's strength as a journalist... that is her genuine care for people and their stories, through tragedies, crisis, and triumph.

• Like 1