Today Show

todayshowproducer

So did NBC screw Hoda when it came to her new Paycheck?

Is NBC really gonna do this to her.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/01/03/hoda-kotb-making-18-million-less-than-matt-lauer-report-says.html

No they did not. Matt did not start off making 25 Million dollars. he didn't even start of making 5 Million.

Anyone feeling a little underwhelmed by this news? I really thought Willie was on the fast track to ascend into that chair.

Also some tricky in the ratings reporting lead Today to a fifth week over GMA in total viewers. They only counted the averages for 2 days. Had they counted the 4 day average (Christmas being the missing day), like GMA did they’d have lost by 58,000. Not much reason to panic but it takes a little out of the Today is dominant without Matt stories.

• Like 1

Anyone feeling a little underwhelmed by this news? I really thought Willie was on the fast track to ascend into that chair.

Also some tricky in the ratings reporting lead Today to a fifth week over GMA in total viewers. They only counted the averages for 2 days. Had they counted the 4 day average (Christmas being the missing day), like GMA did they’d have lost by 58,000. Not much reason to panic but it takes a little out of the Today is dominant without Matt stories.

Willie is still very loyal to Morning Joe tbh. He seems to be happy with what he doing.

• Like 4

So did NBC screw Hoda when it came to her new Paycheck?

Is NBC really gonna do this to her.

Ehhh...

At first, I thought it was unfair to either Savannah or Hoda to not have a higher salary; but then again Matt was main co-anchor of Today for 20 years (and news anchor for some months prior), and every penny he's made over those years (even at the points in his career where he was overpaid and when he was fired for being a perv) he deserved his paychecks he worked so hard for.

Savannah has been main co-anchor for 5 years and that pay range is perfect for anyone at this level career-wise and Hoda has made huge bank for years for getting and being wasted with Kathie Lee among other things.

So... do I think they need to be paid at least a little more at this point? Yes. Are the comparisons between them and Laurer fair and deserving? No, not by a long shot.

• Like 2

You could hire 300 journalists and pay them $80,000 a year for how much Matt was making. You'd even have some money and a helicopter left over too.

Matt was overpaid. And he was not worth every penny. This is not just a reckoning in sexual harassment, but this is also a wake-up call that overpaying talent doesn't necessarily correlate with higher ratings. NBC's money could have been better spent employing more people to improve the overall quality of their news department.

• Like 3

Matt was overpaid. And he was not worth every penny. This is not just a reckoning in sexual harassment, but this is also a wake-up call that overpaying talent doesn't necessarily correlate with higher ratings. NBC's money could have been better spent employing more people to improve the overall quality of their news department.

This, a million times over. Even if ratings went down in his absence, it's hard to justify a single salary that eats 5% of the show's (estimated $500M) revenue stream, especially at a time when the your industry is under attack, and a responsibility to accuracy is paramount. Not only did he eat the profits, he's also damaged the greater brands and blurred the thin line between supposed "good" the journalists should be and the "evil" they report on and try to hold accountable.

• Like 5

It’s hard to argue Matt being worth every penny of his $25 million salary. He orchestrated one of the most disastrous transitions in the show’s history which helped cement the end of a historic run for the show. Not to mention he only did 7-9 a.m. and was negotiating at some point to work M-Th only. The craziest part of that is his big salary was negotiated after the show had fallen from its perch.

• Like 3

I saw the West Coast open for the Today show from last Thursday (1/4). And Craig was in for Hoda because she was doing the 10am ET hour. I never thought about that before. That's pretty dumb not having your main co host on for part of the show most of the time. Also, they used the wrong headline bed (the one that has more brass in it that they have since stopped using).

• Like 1

They’ve refreshed the opening. Same image concept/theme but different variation and more use of white. I’m sure someone will post it soon.

I watched! It looks nice but I wish they would update the in-show graphics.

• Like 1

I like the choice of Hoda (would have also been happy with Willie or Craig as well) but I think in the long term she should give up the 4th hour. I wonder how breaking news during the 4th hour will be handled.

I've said before, but I wish they would be bring back the newsreader position.

I wonder when Savannah or Hoda is off who will be the main fill-ins.

I like the choice of Hoda (would have also been happy with Willie or Craig as well) but I think in the long term she should give up the 4th hour. I wonder how breaking news during the 4th hour will be handled.

I've said before, but I wish they would be bring back the newsreader position.

I wonder when Savannah or Hoda is off who will be the main fill-ins.

I agree with the newsreader position. They need it back since they really do not utilize Natalie as the “West Coast Anchor” like they originally said they would (a guise to say she’s really not leaving just expanding her role on the show). She’s basically not even on the show like that ( Same concept they said Ann was the Today Anchor At-Large). Bring in Craig, Willie, or even Shaniell?? to that position. I wonder if they’ll let Megyn Kelly to fill in on the first 2 hours of Today going further and has she did that yet?

• Like 5

I agree with the newsreader position. They need it back since they really do not utilize Natalie as the “West Coast Anchor” like they originally said they would (a guise to say she’s really not leaving just expanding her role on the show). She’s basically not even on the show like that ( Same concept they said Ann was the Today Anchor At-Large). Bring in Craig, Willie, or even Shaniell?? to that position. I wonder if they’ll let Megyn Kelly to fill in on the first 2 hours of Today going further and has she did that yet?

Adding the newsreader back would also setup the perfect fill-in person for the main two anchors and also setup a succession plan too.

• Like 1

I wrote this post over at TVForum:

I picture this as an intermediary open. February sweeps and the Olympics are coming up so change maybe on the horizon. They’ve had the current graphics since September 2013 with a few tweaks here and there - probably the biggest was when they stopped shooting for the 4:3 safezone and set the AFD flag to letterbox it in SD.

However it’s not the worst design decision they had in the past decade:

• Like 2

This is just an hypothetical opinion question, so be nice in your response.

If Megyn Kelly decided to leave Today or NBC decided to move her off the 9 am hour

Do you think NBC would ever consider bringing back Ann Curry and doing ANN CURRY TODAY and give her her own show?

Prior to Matt determination, I would never thought NBC would bring her back, However I feel that if NBC brought her back it would be a great PR move for the Network and it would be very highly rated because everyone would watch at first out of curiosity.

Logitically I think their would be several things NBC would need to do first before they even consider doing such a show.

First, they would need to develop a good format, and help her develop a good show.

This is something I was thinking about, and is just hypothetical. NBC has invested a lot in Megyn Kelly and I doubt they would want remove her or she would want to leave after only 1 year. Also this would depend on Ann Curry wanting to come back to NBC, which she may not want to.

• Like 2

This is just an hypothetical opinion question, so be nice in your response.

If Megyn Kelly decided to leave Today or NBC decided to move her off the 9 am hour

Do you think NBC would ever consider bringing back Ann Curry and doing ANN CURRY TODAY and give her her own show?

Prior to Matt determination, I would never thought NBC would bring her back, However I feel that if NBC brought her back it would be a great PR move for the Network and it would be very highly rated because everyone would watch at first out of curiosity.

Logitically I think their would be several things NBC would need to do first before they even consider doing such a show.

First, they would need to develop a good format, and help her develop a good show.

This is something I was thinking about, and is just hypothetical. NBC has invested a lot in Megyn Kelly and I doubt they would want remove her or she would want to leave after only 1 year. Also this would depend on Ann Curry wanting to come back to NBC, which she may not want to.

No, and I don't think Ann would ever agree to come back no matter what kind of money and contract they throw at her. She has moved on. NBC can't force Ann to come back if she doesn't want to.

• Like 3

No, and I don't think Ann would ever agree to come back no matter what kind of money and contract they throw at her. She has moved on. NBC can't force Ann to come back if she doesn't want to.

We'll Meet Again is hosted by Ann Curry and is coming to PBS on January 23rd at 8pm ET/7pm CT.

In other words... YES. Ann Curry has moved on.

• Like 1

Only way I ever see Ann returning is long form programming docs etc.

I was just thinking the other day Ann would have been a great co-anchor for today in the Barbara Walters/Jane paisley time frame before the cooking and entertainment sections of today really took over the program. I like Ann but that was never her strong part. General News, long form and international was always her strong areas. If they gave her Sunday Night and had her own prices that could have worked

• Like 1