Today Show

todayshowproducer

They paid a lot of money for her so expect them to try her everywhere...and everyplace...until they exhaust her or the viewers.

She really compared herself to Oprah????

For real???

That's just plain dopey of her.

Her ego and high confidence in herself. She will probably turn off people cause she is full of herself. She does not have a cool sister factor like Wendy Williams, a mother like vibe of Oprah or even a cutesy vibe of Kelly Ripa. I don't know what she will represent.

They can give her the stars, the moon, the Today show or give her an Hollywood audition just don't mess with Lester Holt and his job security. He has been their blood, bones and vitality for that network. Highly respected among viewers, revered and history making journalist and possible historical figure in his industry. Lester has surpassed the level of his other peers in terms of his importance and significigance to their industry. Lack can't be stupid enough to play politics and push him aside like he can with the rest of his talent. If he does that, then he will risk boycotts and riots and viewers leaving in drove. That boycott outside of News Corp is nothing compared to what will happen if Lack decides to mess with Lester.

• Like 1

I don't think she was comparing herself to Oprah. As I remember it, Charlie Rose asked her what kind of show she would ideally want to to. Her response was “a little Charlie Rose, a little Oprah, and a little me all together.”

• Like 2

Personally, I think Megyn Kelly is going to turn out to be another Katie Couric for them. I already know a few people who are really turned off by not just the fact that NBC wants to bring her to broadcast TV, but also because of the decision to stick her on her own weekday show and then give her another Sunday night show, and it does kind of seem like a bit much. Plus, the Megyn Kelly hype seems to have long passed. For the money NBC paid for her, I'm expecting them to shove her down our throats for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know who composed the Sunday Today with Willie Geist theme? I really, really like it. And does anybody have a link to the TODAY Show Creative Services page? They've been running some really good promos lately and I would like to watch them online.
I don't know if you guys saw this or not.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed lately that they haven't been opening the 7am hour with the plaza shot, but with the control room. It's cool to see that, but it is kind of boring. TODAY was the only morning show that would wake you up with the sound of crazed screaming tourists at 7am. It was special. Also, the anchors don't open the 8am hour on the plaza anymore, which is dumb. They were only together outside ONE time today. I think people will notice this and it will turn tourists in NYC away from coming to the plaza because they'll never be on TV. I wish they would dedicate a couple of minutes of talking with the fans on TV. Find some people who would make a good story and put 'em on. That would be neat. The hosts almost never interact with them on the show.

• Like 4

I've noticed lately that they haven't been opening the 7am hour with the plaza shot, but with the control room. It's cool to see that, but it is kind of boring. TODAY was the only morning show that would wake you up with the sound of crazed screaming tourists at 7am. It was special. Also, the anchors don't open the 8am hour on the plaza anymore, which is dumb. They were only together outside ONE time today. I think people will notice this and it will turn tourists in NYC away from coming to the plaza because they'll never be on TV. I wish they would dedicate a couple of minutes of talking with the fans on TV. Find some people who would make a good story and put 'em on. That would be neat. The hosts almost never interact with them on the show.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that there are security concerns with doing stuff on the Plaza. There's a reason why they were primarily indoors during election night coverage.

The times, they are a'changin'.

• Like 2

I'm still upset after all these years that they changed the theme music.

• Like 4

No, no, no please no, no no

It's not good "waking up" music...it's fine everywhere else but not in the AM.

What are you talking about, the mission has 4 parts. Your probably thinking about parts 1 (Nightly News) and 4 (Meet The Press and Special Reports) those parts I agree arent good for the morning, but part 3, which is litterarly called "Scherzo for Today" .. it's absolutely perfect for the morning..

• Like 2

Has anyone found the commercial breaks during Today to be very lengthy? I turned on my TV and changed the channel to NBC at 7:38 AM. They were on commercial. It wasn't until 7:42 AM when the show finally returned from commercial break. Then at 7:44 AM they go right back to break, which lasts another 4 minutes until 7:48 AM. In a span of 10 minutes, that's 8 minutes of commercials vs. 2 minutes of "regular programming". But wait, it gets WORSE...

They come back from break at 7:48 AM, go to the "Orange Room", then at 7:50, guess what? ANOTHER commercial break! This one lasts at least 5 minutes, all the way to the local news insert! WHAT THE HELL!!??!?!?!?!?

Over the course of 17 minutes, that's 13 minutes of commercials vs 4 minutes of actual Today show programming. For a major broadcast network (NBC) that's available for free OTA, this is absolutely unacceptable. It's a surefire way to lose viewers and ratings.

Also, what is the "Orange Room", why is it called that, and what purpose does it serve?

• Like 4

Also, what is the "Orange Room", why is it called that, and what purpose does it serve?

This I can answer.

It's the part of the set that discuses topics related to social media. It's called the "Orange Room" in relation to it's logo--both are orange.

It's purpose is to at least keep the show going; whether it interests a viewer or not is another story.

• Like 1

All network morning shows go overboard with commercials. The Orange Room debuted in 2013 and is where they do the trending segments, social media stuff, etc. It's just a marketing gimmicks, but I don't mind. It is called The Orange Room because the TODAY's main color is orange.

Has anyone found the commercial breaks during Today to be very lengthy?

There's this crazed obsession that the content of the morning shows is what's driving away viewers. However, I really believe that people are turned off by the constant commercial breaks. For GMA after the first 20 minutes of the program, they take a 10 minute break. Then another 8 minute break at 7:50. The show itself ends at about 8:55 to allow for another 5 minutes of advertising. The content isn't good enough on any of those shows to warrant sitting through an hour of commercials.

• Like 1

Aren't the :25 through :30 and :55 through :00 time periods handed back to the local affiliates though? In Boston, both WCVB and WBTS (and WHDH prior to 1/1/17) air local news updates at :25 and :55. Still, that equates to two 5-minute commercial breaks (with no local insertions) on GMA, which is just as bad.

For GMA after the first 20 minutes of the program, they take a 10 minute break. Then another 8 minute break at 7:50. The show itself ends at about 8:55 to allow for another 5 minutes of advertising.

But...part of that break has O&Os and affiliates doing short updates and local commercials before GMA (along with Today and CTM) continue on.

Breaks not including those feature short weather hits and coming up teasers.

I honestly thought everyone knew this (even if/when the content changed with the times).

• Like 1

I understand the break built in for local stations to air their advertisements and news updates. I'm going to say those :25 and :55 minute updates through the show take about two minutes on my local ABC and NBC stations here in Houston. That rest of the 3 minutes is advertisement. My focus is mainly that the advertisements are way too many. Hell they even advertise to you for 30-60 seconds before doing the weather.

Anyone remember "Later Today?" That show aired at 9am, That show had a live audience. I love Jodi Applegate and the late Florence Henderson, but do you remember how it turned out? Not looking good for Megyn already.

• Like 2