Today Show

todayshowproducer

Matt was probably still high being with Katie all last week.

You guys have to remember that the morning show grind takes its toll on people and Meredith was one of them. Plus, I think that when she was offered to succeed Katie, it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that she could not pass up at that time. Now that Meredith has done it, I doubt it's something she would want to return to full time. Also, I bet they were going to have Meredith return for Matt's anniversary (which she didn't), and Today's 65th anniversary, so why not have her on for a full week?

Meredith was great and a it was a once in a life time opportunity. You would have to be crazy to turn it down. She made more than enough money to retire very comfortably before she was 60. Also she seemed to be an equal (knew how to stand up and challenge) to Matt compared to Ann and Savannah.

Part of me get annoyed with Today because they act like Ann wasn't even apart of the show. She was there for 15 years I believe. That's why I can give two explicit about the show now. Its need a rejuvenation along with GMA (Get rid of Michael).

It's a shame that they ignore her but to be honest I don't think she would return. She was publicly humiliated and treated like shit. Sure she did some reports for Nightly and Rock Center after the fiasco but she as well was given a boat load of money to be leave and be quiet.

• Like 1

Meredith was great and a it was a once in a life time opportunity. You would have to be crazy to turn it down. She made more than enough money to retire very comfortably before she was 60. Also she seemed to be an equal (knew how to stand up and challenge) to Matt compared to Ann and Savannah.

Coming into Today in 2006, Meredith's credentials were already impressive. Hard to not have her equal to Matt. As for Savannah, if not for Matt's tenure at Today, she would be seen as equal, even surpassing Matt. NBC News worked her hard in 2016, with primetime election coverages and going on Today the following day.

It's a shame that they ignore her (Ann Curry) but to be honest I don't think she would return. She was publicly humiliated and treated like shit. Sure she did some reports for Nightly and Rock Center after the fiasco but she as well was given a boat load of money to be leave and be quiet.

I agree that she would return, but you never know. As Today is celebrating their 65th anniversary, Ann was the host of the program when it turned 60. At this point, the people that were involved with her being ousted are still in Today. I would say maybe in 20 years, minimum, she would come back. It is apparent to us that this was a prime example of PR mistakes and lack of foresight by NBC News. Regardless of the leaks that came out about her relationship with the Today Show talent and executives, I think the NBC News brass tried to force Ann into the co-anchor mold of Katie and Meredith, not having the foresight that the chemistry with Matt and her strengths as an anchor was different from her predecessors.

P.S. Sorry for the Ann Curry fiasco rant there. :)

Coming into Today in 2006, Meredith's credentials were already impressive. Hard to not have her equal to Matt. As for Savannah, if not for Matt's tenure at Today, she would be seen as equal, even surpassing Matt. NBC News worked her hard in 2016, with primetime election coverages and going on Today the following day.

I agree that she would return, but you never know. As Today is celebrating their 65th anniversary, Ann was the host of the program when it turned 60. At this point, the people that were involved with her being ousted are still in Today. I would say maybe in 20 years, minimum, she would come back. It is apparent to us that this was a prime example of PR mistakes and lack of foresight by NBC News. Regardless of the leaks that came out about her relationship with the Today Show talent and executives, I think the NBC News brass tried to force Ann into the co-anchor mold of Katie and Meredith, not having the foresight that the chemistry with Matt and her strengths as an anchor was different from her predecessors.

P.S. Sorry for the Ann Curry fiasco rant there. :)

The problem is that NBC has build the Today show so much around Lauer then everybody else. He is very overrated host, he is just an interviewer and not a well rounded journalist. That they can't focus beyond that. They have good enough hosts, where the show will be find without him. You don't need great journalism skills to run a show that focuses on cooking, clothes, celebrities and silliness. To most hard news journalists, hosting the Today show is like a day off. Lauer has conned people at NBC to believe that he is some great journalist at Today show when he is nothing more then a host . Since Lauer has so much control over the show, it is hard for journalists to rise. Look at what they have done to Hoda Kotb, she was a solid journalist and overtime she became a silly party girl.

That is the problem and that is why Savannah could not rise. Also Savannah lacks certain elements to make her a good host. Savannah rises when she is out of the Today show element or when Matt is not there. She works very well when she is with Lester Holt, Chuck Todd, Tom Brokaw cause she is surrounded by people who are hard news focused journalist.

If they can focus on Today show not being so personality base then good journalists would rise there. Today show started to change when Katie Couric left, the silliness and fratness of the show started to happen. Meredith did the best she can, but she was pressured to make the chemistry work with Lauer then the journalism and she became very silly.Ann Curry's problem was that she did not want to do the entertainment aspect of the show. She felt the program could've gone a more serious direction in becoming a more informative morning show then a show that caters towards soft news and entertainment. That was one of her goals which is why she advocated for certain guests to come on her program like the Dali Lama. If Ann Curry had a host she was able to work with like Lester Holt, they she would've kept her job and Curry had a better partner that shared her philosophies then most of the NBC drama would've been avoided. That was the problem that Ann Curry had as well, she wanted the show to focus more on the news and less on the celebrities and the hosts acting silly. She was scape goated cause she did not want to flirt with Lauer and act silly, it is plain and simple. If you start to surpass Lauer or don't cater to him then you get pushed out.

The 65th anniversary segments on the Friday formal anniversary were painful.

None of the prior anchors showed up live (Meredith aside). They briefly interviewed Brokaw, Couric, Norville, but nothing with Gumbel or Pauley.

The current hosts looked drained and awkward during the segments.

And not a note of the old 80s theme that's been trotted out for every anniversary the last 30 years or so. This show has lost all semblance of its tradition, and it's not a forward progression.

There was an air of 'not sure this show will be relevant going forward' when they toasted to the future.

To be honest I don't mind that they toned down the celebration this time, it's redundant to bring everyone back for every single anniversary. 60 years was a huge celebration and it would look awkward to that over again only 5 years later.

Completely agree on the pessimistic feelings towards the future of the show though. That was painful

The 65th anniversary segments on the Friday formal anniversary were painful.

None of the prior anchors showed up live (Meredith aside). They briefly interviewed Brokaw, Couric, Norville, but nothing with Gumbel or Pauley.

The current hosts looked drained and awkward during the segments.

And not a note of the old 80s theme that's been trotted out for every anniversary the last 30 years or so. This show has lost all semblance of its tradition, and it's not a forward progression.

There was an air of 'not sure this show will be relevant going forward' when they toasted to the future.

Reason why cause heavy news journalists left the program. Despite what people say about Gumbel he brought intellectulaism to the show. Meredith has outgrown the program and feels forced for her to be there . The current team members is the weakest lineup I have seen. From Matt, Roker, Gifford, Hall, Geist and Kotb a bunch of lightweights.

I am glad Jane Pauley is doing very well on CBS Sunday Morning.

To be honest I don't mind that they toned down the celebration this time, it's redundant to bring everyone back for every single anniversary. 60 years was a huge celebration and it would look awkward to that over again only 5 years later.

Completely agree on the pessimistic feelings towards the future of the show though. That was painful

I was not expecting some big lavish blowout on Friday with all former Anchors and Hosts returning The 65th Anniversary was much like the 55th: very low key with a couple looks backs.

The anniversaries ending in '0' are far more important milestones. I am sure when the 70th comes around all the former Anchors and Hosts will return

By the way I am looking forward to Natalie filling in for Savannah the Week of January 23-27!

• Like 1

Does anybody know who will co-anchor the Inauguration coverage? Will Savannah come back as she did for Matt's 20th anniversary?

On the NBC/MSNBC press notice about it coverage for Friday they said that Today will be a spilt edition with Matt co-hosting and Al providing weather updates from D.C.

• Like 1

Press released only stated matt Lauer will host today from dc along with al Roker and will have chuck Todd and Nicolle Wallace. They have never had a spilt show on inauguration it was fully all in DC. You would think they would announce his co-anchor for that day in the release.

• 2 weeks later...

Some reports circulating that Megyn Kelly might be Matt Lauer's replacement. And that Lauer was out of the loop when Kelly got hired. His press people are saying that he knew Megyn was getting hired and NBC inside sources are saying he did not know. A clash of two big egos, with Megyn Kelly coming in to NBC no doubt the executives are going to groom her for a top job. Some people say Savannah's job is in danger but I can't see Matt and Megyn working well together. They both are going to compete for big interviews. Some people are saying that Savannah might work with Chuck Todd on Meet The Press. It is possible cause I am sure Savannah outgrew the silliness of morning tv while working with Holt, Todd and Brokaw.

I have a feeling that Lauer is going to get pushed out in 2018, the numbers are declining and he is not as popular as Today show producers think he is.

I am so happy that Kristen Welker shined inaugration day then Al Roker. He is an overpaid sap who is losing his relevancy, they should move the road warriors over to NBC Today show.

• Like 1

Some reports circulating that Megyn Kelly might be Matt Lauer's replacement. And that Lauer was out of the loop when Kelly got hired. His press people are saying that he knew Megyn was getting hired and NBC inside sources are saying he did not know. A clash of two big egos, with Megyn Kelly coming in to NBC no doubt the executives are going to groom her for a top job. Some people say Savannah's job is in danger but I can't see Matt and Megyn working well together. They both are going to compete for big interviews. Some people are saying that Savannah might work with Chuck Todd on Meet The Press. It is possible cause I am sure Savannah outgrew the silliness of morning tv while working with Holt, Todd and Brokaw.

I have a feeling that Lauer is going to get pushed out in 2018, the numbers are declining and he is not as popular as Today show producers think he is.

I am so happy that Kristen Welker shined inaugration day then Al Roker. He is an overpaid sap who is losing his relevancy, they should move the road warriors over to NBC Today show.

TODAY Show ratings are not declining. In fact It the opposite. In December Savannah renewed her contract through 2020. Matt renewed his through 2019. I like Al. He really funny

• Like 1

You can check the latest morning tv ratings released just this week, The Today Show's viewership is down. As is GMA

TODAY Show has been beating GMA in Age 18-54 Demo since Aug 2015 which is what really matters to advertisers. They been Cutting the Gap with GMA in Total Viewership and have beat them i that category 5 or 6 Times in last year. GMA is losing more.

A new report from the Post says what those who made the assumption (me included) may be correct: NBC is axing Today's Take (and not Days of Our Lives) for Megyn Kelly's new show.

And the timeslot is still unknown, but may be 10am, pushing Kathie Lee and Hoda to 9am.

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/27/huge-shakeup-at-today-to-make-way-for-megyn-kelly/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

TODAY Show has been beating GMA in Age 18-54 Demo since Aug 2015 which is what really matters to advertisers. They been Cutting the Gap with GMA in Total Viewership and have beat them i that category 5 or 6 Times in last year. GMA is losing more.

Compared to where they were a couple of years ago, Today show viewership is down. GMA and Today have lost viewers dramatically and right now in a little bubble competing with themselves but they are not building new audience. CBS This Morning is building new viewers and is the threat.

Your comment was that Today wasn't losing viewers, you made no mention about the battle between the two shows. GMA losing more doesn't cancel out the fact that Today is losing viewers as well, and a lot.

Some reports circulating that Megyn Kelly might be Matt

You can check the latest morning tv ratings released just this week, The Today Show's viewership is down. As is GMA

And I'm sure none of you have the entire breakdown of the ratings. So unless you get the ENTIRE demo breakdowns nobody( here) has a real picture of how both shows are really doing.

You only see the ratings that they (the networks ) want you to see.

Ok...

As you were.

That is all.

Sorry for interrupting.

• Like 2

Another Kelly scoop: Megyn will join NBC News in May,

with her weekday news show (and probably her Sunday newsmagazine as well) premiering in the Fall.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/01/27/megyn-kelly-nbc-news-today-show/97141790/

NBC will still air Sunday Night Football this fall, right? I'm guessing her newsmagazine will be premiering before/after football season or sometime before or after the Superbowl in 2018.