Today Show

todayshowproducer

Last laugh? What last laugh? HA!

Michael didn't encourage misogynistic behavior either; just Billy.

So I'm glad he lost his Today job. I have a little sympathy for him for losing it in so much shame, but not enough to truly feel sorry him losing it for being a really douchey assh¤le encouraging sexual harassment and assault to a then 59-year-old creepy-ass power-hungry asswipe.

And it doesn't change the fact I still find Mike pretty bad at his GMA job.

• Like 2

Lester Holt is filling in this morning.

I love seeing Lester anchor any program, it was nice seeing him on the Today show. Though in my mind, him anchoring the program seems beneath him nowadays. Today show is no longer a news program but infotainment.

Last laugh at the Today show, they keep screwing up in their anchor decision making. They should've done the right thing years ago, let Matt out of his contract and have Lester host weekday Today. They would've avoided so much drama with their brand and Lauer if they got Lester.

He costs too much and the ratings don't justify him getting that kind of money.

Lester would've brought the show back to #1.

• Like 1

I don't see Lester leaving Nightly for Today anytime soon

Lester pretty much does what ever show he is told to do. Since Lester is such a pro he works well across all platforms.

"Where do you need me?"....that's how Lester operates(for now) unlike the rest of the funky bunch.

• Like 1

I don't see Lester leaving Nightly for Today anytime soon

Nope, but just thinking about the alternative universe, what they would've avoided if they promoted Lester to Today. He is a well liked anchor and well rounded so the transition won't be a big deal.

It seems to me that Today show is still trying hard to rehab Lauer's image even though majority of viewers can't stand him.

Lester pretty much does what ever show he is told to do. Since Lester is such a pro he works well across all platforms.

"Where do you need me?"....that's how Lester operates(for now) unlike the rest of the funky bunch.

I think he was asked cause he filled in last week after the tape debacle. Today show is suffering from PR crisis with the Billy Bush tape.

So reason why he is asked cause Lester Holt is a good and stable presence that NBC always needs. To me, I think he has done so much to rehab NBC's bad image and crisis.

Look at how Lauer flooped that townhall forum and his negligence put all that unnecessary pressure and drama on Lester Holt which distracted away from doing the debate and gave the candidates ammunition to play the ref.

• Like 1

I thought his contract wasn't up until spring. I wasn't thinking they would announce anything until January after the 65th anniversary of Today.

Forget the 65th. They'll mention it, but it's not that noteworthy. That said, it'll be Matt's 20th anniversary on like January 3rd-ish. They'd be smart to make a big deal out of it, and even smarter to announce a transition and successor. Play it off like he's calling it at even 20, give him a big send-off, destroy his alarm clock and mug, and announce his new role. The unaware, aloof viewers that do like him and don't follow the behind the scenes drama will eat it up.

Personally, I'm indifferent on Lauer. He doesn't bother me but I'm no fan, either. However, he's nothing if not lucky and smart. No matter the changes and criticism, he has survived it all. If that's not a sign of a tough, resilient veteran (who has stepped on the bodies of others), I don't know who is. Also, not having an obvious successor continues to help him retain some value, no matter the salary.

• Like 2

I thought his contract wasn't up until spring. I wasn't thinking they would announce anything until January after the 65th anniversary of Today.

They said after election season is over but I get a feeling it will be extended to after the inaugration.

It will be interesting to see if Matt re-signs next month or if he leaves the show. Not sure who would replace him.

Billy Bush was considered a potential replacement and rival. There is Willie Geist he seems to be the most logical choice. They can get Ryan Seacrest who is another favorite and lower mainteance then Billy Bush.

I think Lester Holt was considered a true sucessor but now he has the evening news job and in some ways doing a morning show is considered beneath him.

Forget the 65th. They'll mention it, but it's not that noteworthy. That said, it'll be Matt's 20th anniversary on like January 3rd-ish. They'd be smart to make a big deal out of it, and even smarter to announce a transition and successor. Play it off like he's calling it at even 20, give him a big send-off, destroy his alarm clock and mug, and announce his new role. The unaware, aloof viewers that do like him and don't follow the behind the scenes drama will eat it up.

Personally, I'm indifferent on Lauer. He doesn't bother me but I'm no fan, either. However, he's nothing if not lucky and smart. No matter the changes and criticism, he has survived it all. If that's not a sign of a tough, resilient veteran (who has stepped on the bodies of others), I don't know who is. Also, not having an obvious successor continues to help him retain some value, no matter the salary.

It would make sense but he is so disliked. The only people celebrating will be the on air talent and they pocket of die hard fans.

Lauer would have been okay in my book if I did not hear all the stories and reports about him from people who have worked in the industry and dealt with his contracts. I have heard non flattering things about him and how he handles the Today show.

• Like 1

NBC would have to pull a "Meredith Viera" and hire someone from the outside who is already known...Anderson Cooper maybe? He's proven himself with hard news as well as lighter fare.

He just signed an extension with CNN.

I doubt NBC is ready to get rid of Lauer as he seems to be considered one of their greatest assets, so I say he leaves if he's ready to. Which leads me to wonder, how is he not tired of doing this show after 20 years?

No cast change could really make me watch Today honestly unless they replace Savannah as well. She just doesn't have the same "it" that Jane, Katie and Meredith had.

• Like 1

I wonder if NBC now regret having Billy and Natalie switch Jobs now? I know Natalie won't be coming back full time as a News-anchor (Which that Role was being diminished anyway when she was still there) or Host of Third Hour like she was before but one has to wonder if NBC now wish they had thrown more money at Natalie and given her a juicy contract with a big raise in order to keep her in New York?

Although it sound like Natalie may have been leaning towards moving to L.A. anyway (With her regular role being decreased) as she said her and her family has talk about for some time then her Husband got a Job Offer and so they decided to go for it.

Of course Natalie won't be back in Studio 1A like before on Permanent basic. Moving Coast to Coast is a major move and cost lot of money not like moving to a neighboring state. And turning around and uprooting the family again to go beck to NYC after only couple months would not be good anyway.

But NBC has to be kicking themselves at the moment for the mess they created

Michael Strahan could replace Lauer...

Would all of you just have a cow if that happens?

Considering that the program is turning more into infotainment, I would not be surprised but then again going to NBC Today is the kiss of career death for male anchors.

I doubt NBC is ready to get rid of Lauer as he seems to be considered one of their greatest assets, so I say he leaves if he's ready to. Which leads me to wonder, how is he not tired of doing this show after 20 years?

No cast change could really make me watch Today honestly unless they replace Savannah as well. She just doesn't have the same "it" that Jane, Katie and Meredith had.

Yes but their ratings are eradicting. I think people are just bored with the morning show format and turning more to informative news. Matt Lauer gets paid a lot of money considering that all he does is fluffy content.

Savannah lacks a warmth quality about her that you see with Robin Roberts and her predecessors. Katie and Meredith had likable qualities which helped get Matt Lauer over. Matt needs good co-anchors to get him over cause he has an arrogant vibe about him. This is why I believe, he is overrated as far as his appeal is concerned.

I wonder if NBC now regret having Billy and Natalie switch Jobs now? I know Natalie won't be coming back full time as a News-anchor (Which that Role was being diminished anyway when she was still there) or Host of Third Hour like she was before but one has to wonder if NBC now wish they had thrown more money at Natalie and given her a juicy contract with a big raise in order to keep her in New York?

Although it sound like Natalie may have been leaning towards moving to L.A. anyway (With her regular role being decreased) as she said her and her family has talk about for some time then her Husband got a Job Offer and so they decided to go for it.

Of course Natalie won't be back in Studio 1A like before on Permanent basic. Moving Coast to Coast is a major move and cost lot of money not like moving to a neighboring state. And turning around and uprooting the family again to go beck to NYC after only couple months would not be good anyway.

I don't think so cause the plan before Natalie moving was to downgrade the newsreader position. Plus it has been known that Natalie wanted to become the co-anchor of Today but her affair with Lauer hindered her chances of being promoted. Morales probably wanted to become a leading anchor but her affair with Lauer cost her upward mobility.

Hosting Access Hollywood is probably the best opportutnity she will ever get. She does not have a household name recognition to ever host other popular news programs.

Another is that she probably wanted to flex her muscles and do different programs. When you are part of the Today show, you devote most of your time to that program. Natalie is now hosting documentaries which is probably what she wanted to do.

• Like 1

Considering that the program is turning more into infotainment, I would not be surprised but then again going to NBC Today is the kiss of career death for male anchors.

Yes but their ratings are eradicting. I think people are just bored with the morning show format and turning more to informative news. Matt Lauer gets paid a lot of money considering that all he does is fluffy content.

Savannah lacks a warmth quality about her that you see with Robin Roberts and her predecessors. Katie and Meredith had likable qualities which helped get Matt Lauer over. Matt needs good co-anchors to get him over cause he has an arrogant vibe about him. This is why I believe, he is overrated as far as his appeal is concerned.

I don't think so cause the plan before Natalie moving was to downgrade the newsreader position. Plus it has been known that Natalie wanted to become the co-anchor of Today but her affair with Lauer hindered her chances of being promoted. Morales probably wanted to become a leading anchor but her affair with Lauer cost her upward mobility.

Hosting Access Hollywood is probably the best opportutnity she will ever get. She does not have a household name recognition to ever host other popular news programs.

Another is that she probably wanted to flex her muscles and do different programs. When you are part of the Today show, you devote most of your time to that program. Natalie is now hosting documentaries which is probably what she wanted to do.

Matt and Natalie did not have a affair

• Like 4

I wonder if NBC now regret having Billy and Natalie switch Jobs now?

[...]

Uhh...Mess that they created?

They didn't talk with Ryan Lochte about the incident in Rio that screwed him (and--for a bit--Team USA) over and came to the conclusion that he "embellished" the truth. They didn't get into a heated argument with Al Roker to foolishly defend him. And they damn sure didn't get into a super creepy and inappropriate discussion with Donald Trump about making a run at (married) Nancy O'Dell and ending it with implied sexual assault. He did. What he got into he put on himself. And they never would've known (or had the foresight) about the boneheaded mistakes he made to have gotten him (and them by extension) into this sad predicament.

Sure, to give you credit, NBC execs (specifically those at Today) hired him in place of Natalie Morales (who wanted a different job before then anyway) for and took too long to remove him from Today after the Olympics (IMO), but bullcrap if you want to believe that NBC started the mess that got Bush to lose his job.