Today Show

todayshowproducer

I've always been indifferent about Lauer, and I don't want to come across as defending him, but he's merely the tip of the iceberg. Just like a professional sports team with undisciplined troublemakers, there is clearly a systemic problem within the ranks of the Today show that allow for such behavior and idiocy. Like sports, the more an on-air talent makes or the higher their profile is, the more they're allowed to get away with. Throw in the fact that NBC (News) has a horrific track record with handling personnel management on and off the air (Brian, Ann, Matt, Natalie, David, and before that Bryant, Katie, Jane, Deborah...pretty much everyone but Meredith), and it's a recipe for disaster.

With the exception of Meredith, most of the on air talent that NBC has problems with are the ones with the big egos. Big egos make life difficult for bosses and the networks. Big egos are not humble and they think that since they have a name, they can run wild and do whatever they want to do. Matt Lauer used to come in 3 days a week, he believed he was too good to show up a full week but knowing he was getting a lot of money. Let's be honest, if Lester Holt took a couple of days off from work, his co-workers on air would haze him for it. I remember when he showed up for work late on Weekend Today, his co-anchor hazed him throughout the show. Though they try to joke it off there is much hypocrisy at that network one standard for one guy and a different standard for another, that is bad work place culture. If you look at the local networks most of long time anchors are now doing longer on air hours. Most of them would 5,6, and 10 pm hours now.

I might add... Neither Bryant, nor Jane, nor Deborah or Katie EVER let any of that silly/stupid stuff happen when they were hosting. when she filled in once for Bryant, Faith Daniels(the newsreader) had that same attitude as Bryant or Deborah or Katie: she never let any of that stupid stuff get in the way of the interviews or reporting the news. In fact i think Arthur Kent was co-hosting that week, he had that kind of attitude too. Hugh Downs or Frank McGee, back in the day had that same kind of attitude towards the show. On GMA, David Hartman was doing the same thing and he didn't tolerate it either! I wish that ABC would tell them not to do that on GMA.

I do like Bryant Gumbel (and it's Gumbel, not Gumble), but let's not act like he was completely above the fray and above any intra-show squabbles. Just search 'Bryant Gumbel memo' and you'll see what I am referring to.

I mean, I love revisionist history as much as the next guy but I love how some here are acting like some of this internal stuff and "big egos" is something new with the edition of the program than it was in prior editions of Today or other news shows in general. There have been big egos in television and television news as long as both have been around, this is nothing new.

• Like 7

According to Willie Giest he's no longer on the third hour of the show. Not sure if that had been confirmed here or not.

[MEDIA=twitter]767741463149051904[/MEDIA]

I think it was confirmed on Today this morning. I thought it was kind of evident went they didn't send him to Rio and had him do Morning Joe during the conventions. Today's Take has transformed into a more different and irreverent show in the past year or two and it doesn't necessarily fit into his newly "rebranded" image of a newsman who can also be funny. Some of the stuff on Take is just plain stupid and is a waste of his and the other anchors talents.

He kind of already has his plate full will Morning Joe during the week (especially during this campaign season) and the need to go out to film his interviews for Sunday Today. That being said I hope he continues to fill in for Lauer.

TV Newser reporting that Today will not be replacing Natalie Morales as the newsreader in a move I find wholly unsurprising. The role has basically been rendered irrelevant these days (CBS hasn't used one since the current CBS This Morning launched).

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-today-show-wont-be-replacing-the-news-anchor/302624

NBC is not happy with Al Roker's rant about Ryan Lochte. I can't stand Al Roker, he is obnoxious, I don't find him charming at all. He has gotten away with a lot of crap on the Today show. I watch him make fun of people and he calls it a joke. He should be replaced, he's been there too long. I ain't fan of Billy Bush but Al Roker's been a jerk to him when they were in Rio. Even the gossip sites are talking about Al Roker's behaviror. They should get a new weather person seriosuly cause I am sure most of America is tired of Roker as well as Lauer.

http://pagesix.com/2016/08/23/al-rokers-lochte-rant-causing-drama-at-today/

Roker's past his prime, and maybe his demeanor wasn't the most appropriate, but he's 100% right in the Lochte commentary. NBC's probably only mad because his rant wasn't "on message" for their olympic brand, and thats not right, either.

• Like 1

Yeah his rant about Lotche was the first time I found myself enjoying Roker's presence in some time. Still he needs to be shown the door, what's up with him and Lauer hanging on for so long? It's been about 20 years for both of them in their positions on the program.

• Like 1

If they get rid of Al now, ratings will crash and NBC needs to try and hold on to the momentum they got from the Olympics. They don't need another Ann fiasco on there hands. It took them 4 years to get back in a place where people started watching them again. But something in that article makes me think they are not going to do too much because of the last line when they talked about the great ratings. Let's face it, Ryan lied and is getting rewarded for it by joining Dancing with the Stars. I hate that people think this is the time for him to have a redemption story. If I was him, I would have stayed out the spotlight for a while until the next big scandal. Time heals old wounds better than anything else.

Don't have a link handy but Willie Geist is apparently in the final stages of negotiating his NBC/MSNBC contract. If NBC doesn't make the right deal they will have lost a great talent.

I imagine them giving him Sunday Today is an incentive of him staying at the network and a sign that they are serious about him staying a talent. I just don't seem them blowing up their morning show, giving it a new format and spending money sending him and other correspondents out in the field without a long term vision.

It is a different culture today, Roker and Lauer have ran that program into a deliquent low rated show. The only person post Curry on the Today show worth watching was Lester Holt he had class. The weekend Today show was great when he was there and he is a big leaguer now. I think Lester is enjoying his new job then having to do those teenage antics in the morning. I have a feeling that Natalie Morales probably enjoys her new job now that she has left Today show.

You get a "like" from me for the use of "delinquent low rated show".

We all have have our feelings about Al (obviously), but you cannot deny that he was absolutely correct about the Ryan Lochte situation.

He said what we all thought loud and clear, and what Bush did to change around the ordeal for an interview during the interview was absolutely wrong (pathetic even).

I know Bush is not a true journalist (you don't need Robin Red to tell you); but even as an entertainment reporter, he really seemed desperate to get Lochte to change his story/actions after the incident to make the latter look like a victim and clear the misconceptions about the network's Olympics coverage, and foolishly winded up making Lochte look even more like a disgrace (to his swimming team, Team USA as a whole, the people/city of Rio and his country), himself look like an idiot, the coverage still divisive, and his bosses look like half-wit numbskulls.

Whether Roker grinds your gears or not, you gotta admit he was right to speak the truth and call Bush out about it. And the fact that the executives are "embarrassed" about it and tried their hardest to shush Al straight after says so much now about them than I ever thought before.

Plus, the fact that Bush told Al to "calm down" made me angry and want to track him down and smack him on the head like Al looked like he wanted to do.

• Like 7

We all have have our feelings about Al (obviously), but you cannot deny that he was absolutely correct about the Ryan Lochte situation.

He said what we all thought loud and clear, and what Bush did to change around the ordeal for an interview during the interview was absolutely wrong (pathetic even).

I know Bush is not a true journalist (you don't need Robin Red to tell you); but even as an entertainment reporter, he really seemed desperate to get Lochte to change his story/actions after the incident to make the latter look like a victim and clear the misconceptions about the network's Olympics coverage, and foolishly winded up making Lochte look even more like a disgrace (to his swimming team, Team USA as a whole, the people/city of Rio and his country), himself look like an idiot, the coverage still divisive, and his bosses look like half-wit numbskulls.

Whether Roker grinds your gears or not, you gotta admit he was right to speak the truth and call Bush out about it. And the fact that the executives are "embarrassed" about it and tried their hardest to shush Al straight after says so much now about them than I ever thought before.

Plus, the fact that Bush told Al to "calm down" made me angry and want to track him down and smack him on the head like Al looked like he wanted to do.

Spot on. If the suits want to be mad at someone, they should be mad at Billy for his defense/justification of Lochte's lies. THAT, brings down the reputation of the Today, the brand and the people associated with it.

Entertainment reporter or not, he seriously went overboard with the excuses for Lochte. At one point you could tell that even Natalie got tired of the crap that came out of Bush's mouth when she spoke up against it and sided with Al. I get the need for Billy to make his mark, and fit in with the program, but I think in this case he did NOTHING to endear himself with his colleagues.

I see nothing wrong with what Al said- unorthodox for a weather man, but whatever, he is right. Plus, it's not like Lauer gave Lochte a free pass during his sit down interview with him, so why are the brass so upset about what happened? At the end of the day, being truthful and calling Lochte out on his BS would help the overall image of Today and get some heat off the USOC/USA Swimming-- that way the people/media could move on from this story.

And if NBC/Comcast was worried about what they had invested with Lochte and the reality show, etc. Then i'm sure they're thrilled at the prospect of him jumping to ABC to join DWTS...

• Like 2

I kept screaming to my TV saying...

"Hit his ejector seat Al...do it, do it!"

Then I woke up.

• Like 1

At first I was put off by Bush.

But I watched him this morning.

As a joke, he brought Al a metal stirrer that jingled around the cup.

He's definitely playing the alpha male role, and aggressive with his posture, which makes Al uncomfortable.

But there's something oddly captivating about it.

He has a bit of commanding arrogance in the style of Bryant Gumbel but some of Regis' gift of gab. Not sure on the intelligence front - time will tell.

What still is a mystery to me is the Bush / NBC connection - between him and Jenna.

Billy's a talented guy, but to go from fired local radio host to hosting a national prime time game show in a year (conveniently while his cousin was in office) is uncanny. As is Jenna's contributing role later on.

If they get rid of Al now, ratings will crash and NBC needs to try and hold on to the momentum they got from the Olympics. They don't need another Ann fiasco on there hands. It took them 4 years to get back in a place where people started watching them again. But something in that article makes me think they are not going to do too much because of the last line when they talked about the great ratings. Let's face it, Ryan lied and is getting rewarded for it by joining Dancing with the Stars. I hate that people think this is the time for him to have a redemption story. If I was him, I would have stayed out the spotlight for a while until the next big scandal. Time heals old wounds better than anything else.

Their ratings are down anyway. Not many people miss Al when Dylan Dryer fills in. Today show wants so go a more infotainment format that has been their desire since they were mulling about Lauer's contract back in 2014. They only kept the current format cause it suits his strengths which is more about interviewing.There was a time where that show used to carry a certain class to it but that is long gone. People are watching other morning shows and have outgrown the ADD mentality.

Don't have a link handy but Willie Geist is apparently in the final stages of negotiating his NBC/MSNBC contract. If NBC doesn't make the right deal they will have lost a great talent.

I imagine them giving him Sunday Today is an incentive of him staying at the network and a sign that they are serious about him staying a talent. I just don't seem them blowing up their morning show, giving it a new format and spending money sending him and other correspondents out in the field without a long term vision.

Geist probably feels blindsighted cause he feels that he was going to get Matt's spot. Sunday Today is a test run to see how Willie does as a solo host. If they are thinking about getting a new host then they have to test him. They need to see how viewers react to him being host and handling hard news.

NBC has entertained other hosts as well for taking Today show.

Ryan Seacrest-- NBC showed interest and he is part of the NBC Universal family, he is no longer on American Idol . His name recognition makes him alluring for NBC.

Don Lemon-- He would make sense and he has the personality to do the entertainment part of the show.

Billy Bush--now it has come to life, he is the third hour of the Today show.

• Like 1

We have to look at this through a professional POV. As viewers we agree but as bosses or people who were to work at NBC it could considered troubling for business relations.

I think it is cause it is not Al Roker's place to comment on situations of things. What Al Roker did was borderline character assasinate Ryan Lochte and if Lochte gets cleared and proven innoncent he can potentially sue Roker/NBC for defamation. Al Roker has always been a person who overreaches and wants to do things beyond his job description and multiple times he has put his foot in his mouth. NBC can't keep a guy like that, especially if it involves situation close to them like Ryan Lochte and their rights to hold the Olympics. Roker's job is to give people the story not interject his opinions and since NBC has strong ties to USOC, IOC etc whatever happens with Lochete may impact ties with them in the long run.

We have to look at this through a professional POV. As viewers we agree but as bosses or people who were to work at NBC it could considered troubling for business relations.

I think it is cause it is not Al Roker's place to comment on situations of things. What Al Roker did was borderline character assasinate Ryan Lochte and if Lochte gets cleared and proven innoncent he can potentially sue Roker/NBC for libel. Al Roker has always been a person who overreaches and wants to do things beyond his job description and multiple times he has put his foot in his mouth. NBC can't keep a guy like that, especially if it involves situation close to them like Ryan Lochte and their rights to hold the Olympics. Roker's job is to give people the story not interject his opinions and since NBC has strong ties to USOC, IOC etc whatever happens with Lochete may impact ties with them in the long run.

Can you explain how Lochte can be cleared and proven innocent when he himself admitted to Lauer that what he told Bush did not happen? Not to mention that Brazilian authorities are recommending that Lochte face charges for providing false testimony. And don't go overboard with Al character assassinating Ryan, because that's not what he did. Al called Ryan out on his BS and lies. Hardly qualifies as "character assassination."

I understand how NBC/Comcast must be upset at what Al said due to their cozy relationship with the USOC, but that's a separate issue in and of itself. Also, if you believe that Roker has a " job to give people the story" and "not interject his opinions", then why should Billy be held to a different standard then? Shouldn't he keep his opinions...or defense of Lochte to himself?

Billy should have kept his mouth shut after everything unraveled, but instead decided to go on this tangent of trying to defend Lochte, i'm sure as a favor for that exclusive interview he got from him. As I said previously, not a good way for Bush to endear himself with his colleagues.

• Like 4

Can you explain how Lochte can be cleared and proven innocent when he himself admitted to Lauer that what he told Bush did not happen? Not to mention that Brazilian authorities are recommending that Lochte face charges for providing false testimony. And don't go overboard with Al character assassinating Ryan, because that's not what he did. Al called Ryan out on his BS and lies. Hardly qualifies as "character assassination."

I understand how NBC/Comcast must be upset at what Al said due to their cozy relationship with the USOC, but that's a separate issue in and of itself. Also, if you believe that Roker has a " job to give people the story" and "not interject his opinions", then why should Billy be held to a different standard then? Shouldn't he keep his opinions...or defense of Lochte to himself?

Billy should have kept his mouth shut after everything unraveled, but instead decided to go on this tangent of trying to defend Lochte, i'm sure as a favor for that exclusive interview he got from him. As I said previously, not a good way for Bush to endear himself with his colleagues.

According to USA Today, which actually sent an investigative reporter to the scene and to the police department, not to mention interviewing an eyewitness who had translated between the four Americans and the "law enforcement" personnel, Lochte may have told a lot more truth than not. Costas and Lauer were way too gleefully accepting of the initial police version. Lochte did indeed "embellish" the original story, but it wasn't that far off the mark. Read the investigative reporter's detailed story. You will have a much clearer understanding that the Rio police, anxious to protect the image that Rio portrayed across the globe during the Olympics, covered up a mountain of exculpatory evidence. http://www.usatoday.com/.../investigation-ryan.../8908223

We will see what happens when he goes down to Brazil. Rio wants him to come down and if does not he will be charged with robbery. However, Lochte story has not affected him getting new endorsement deals.

Everything I just said is all speculative on why NBC became so upset with Roker. I am looking at their a business standpoint. Executives are business people and most of them don't care unless if affects their business relations and dollars. They must of been upset about something, cause Roker has gotten away with a lot of heated comments that never sticked or affected their main bottom goal. Al Roker was the first person who called Lochte a liar on mass air waves, it was not Bob Costas, Matt Lauer, or even Billy Bush. The Olympics and NBC are in a partnership. It only takes one stupid moment and heated comments it could affect relations for 5-10 years.

Call it a lie or whatever you want, in his original interview Lotche claimed that he and others were forced to the ground by gunpoint after their car was pulled over or whatever. That has been determined to be a lie, Ryan Lotche himself has admitted that.

And forgive me because I don't watch too often, but the few times I have seen Today's Take they pretty much spend the first 20 minutes discussing hot topics and giving their own opinions on it. If that's the format of the show, Al Roker was well within his rights to voice his opinion. He's a weatherman on the Today Show, yet you're acting like he must be as impartial as an investigative journalist on 60 Minutes or something.

Also, the Olympic committee itself has spoken out about taking action again Lotche and the other swimmers for their stupidity. I doubt that they're seriously upset with NBC for reporting the news as they should, and if there are indeed strained relations between them and NBC it most likely stems from the peacock's shitty Olympic coverage.

• Like 8

According to USA Today, which actually sent an investigative reporter to the scene and to the police department, not to mention interviewing an eyewitness who had translated between the four Americans and the "law enforcement" personnel, Lochte may have told a lot more truth than not. Costas and Lauer were way too gleefully accepting of the initial police version. Lochte did indeed "embellish" the original story, but it wasn't that far off the mark. Read the investigative reporter's detailed story. You will have a much clearer understanding that the Rio police, anxious to protect the image that Rio portrayed across the globe during the Olympics, covered up a mountain of exculpatory evidence. http://www.usatoday.com/.../investigation-ryan.../8908223

We will see what happens when he goes down to Brazil. Rio wants him to come down and if does not he will be charged with robbery. However, Lochte story has not affected him getting new endorsement deals.

Everything I just said is all speculative on why NBC became so upset with Roker. I am looking at their a business standpoint. Executives are business people and most of them don't care unless if affects their business relations and dollars. They must of been upset about something, cause Roker has gotten away with a lot of heated comments that never sticked or affected their main bottom goal. Al Roker was the first person who called Lochte a liar on mass air waves, it was not Bob Costas, Matt Lauer, or even Billy Bush. The Olympics and NBC are in a partnership. It only takes one stupid moment and heated comments it could affect relations for 5-10 years.

Nobody takes what the Brazilian authorities say at face value. Everyone knows the problems that are plaguing the country. That being said, Ryan LIED. He did not "embellish" the story like you or Billy say, he flat out lied. This is an excerpt of an ABC News article that quotes Ryan on what happened when a gun was pulled out:

And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet -- he left my cellphone, he left my credentials."

And from the Washington Post:

Asked why he lied to NBC’s Billy Bush in a Sunday interview about a gun being pressed to his forehead and cocked in his initial story, Lochte said he was still intoxicated from drinking the night before. He later said he “definitely had too much to drink.”

I hardly call that embellishing, especially in a situation like this that has deep seated implications all around.

Plus, NBC and the USOC/IOC have a contract for the next several olympic games. I highly doubt they USOC/IOC are going to forfeit any of those billions of dollars Comcast has agreed to pay because of how Al Roker called out Ryan for lying.

• Like 5

I think it is cause it is not Al Roker's place to comment on situations of things. What Al Roker did was borderline character assasinate Ryan Lochte and if Lochte gets cleared and proven innoncent he can potentially sue Roker/NBC for defamation. Al Roker has always been a person who overreaches and wants to do things beyond his job description and multiple times he has put his foot in his mouth. NBC can't keep a guy like that, especially if it involves situation close to them like Ryan Lochte and their rights to hold the Olympics. Roker's job is to give people the story not interject his opinions and since NBC has strong ties to USOC, IOC etc whatever happens with Lochete may impact ties with them in the long run.

Ok lets take a look at this...

What happens IF NBC starts to get ratings mileage out of Rokers "New" attitude??

Will NBC have the gonads to let him run with it...it's called "Attractive Conflict" in consultant talk and viewers can really latch on to it.

It's a tricky thing I will admit can go sideways, if not properly staged and managed (or loosely scripted) correctly. I'm not real sure anyone at NBC is capable of micro-producing such an affair.

People really noticed Roker "go off", some really loved it. There is room for the conflict if they play it correctly.