Today Show

todayshowproducer

TODAY Show continues to make strides against GMA winning sixth week in Age 25-54 category and came within 401,000 Total Viewers last week. http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-oct-5/274730

And yet Jamie Horrowitz wanted to fire everyone last year except for Matt and Hoda. Yeah that would have ended well for them. I guarantee you that whim weeks TODAY Show would have found themselves in Third Place has Horrorwitz gotten his way. NBC would not have realize what just hit them until it was too late.

I applaud Matt for his actions last year in saving his Co-workers Job. he knew that would be catastrophic from a mile away and knew he would likely get the blame again and would be even more unfairly criticize

Does the show still need to make some changes? Yes but mainly small ones. Mostly with content then anything. They don't need any changes to the cast especially nothing drastic like that. But I think they can lose a couple. Carson is hardly there anymore. The last thing the show need is any more major cast changes especially with it man four where it now showing stability

• 2 weeks later...
Erica Hill is joined by an unexpected partner on Weekend Today this morning: Harry Smith.

It's been a long while since I've seen him anchor a program, and I'm very excited to see him behind a desk again.

And my fellow Early Show fans will enjoy this. (cough Daybreak cough)

Harry Smith would be a great addition. Reminds me of Mr. Utley back in the day on Sunday Today. I also think they need to name Thomas Robertts Saturday Nightly News Anchor.

I like Harry Smith and think that he is good stable player for Weekend Today ever since Lester left the show. The weekend edition has been lite weight and does not really have the magic anymore, no chemistry among the three women.

Erica Hill is ratings disaster and flop, she is kind of boring, they better groom another female anchor in the next couple of years to take Erica's place.

I think you could throw Jenna Wolfe in that mix but her career trajectory has been so odd in being demoted to news anchor and then now with this new role. I'm not a fan of hers but I was surprised that she got passed over for an outside hire in Erica Hill, who wasn't using Weekend Today as a stepping stone up but as a rebound. That role has usually been filled from within by NBC.

I thought Jenna Wolfe was good at anchoring Today and was sad to see her go. However I think once she was demoted and had her first child she may have wanted to take a different role. I only say this because her partner Stefanie Gosk is a correspondent and may not always be there so Jenna may have wanted a more typical 9-5 job.

I was never a fan of Jenna Wolfe and believed that she was never promotable to become a key player for NBC, her asthetics and optics were all wrong. She was loud, abrasive and lacked grace. I believe her co-anchoring with Lester helped flourish her career then anything especially the workout segments. If she was co-anchoring with anybody else then highly doubt she would have stayed at NBC as long as she has. I knew that as soon as Amy left that Jenna was not going to get two days, she was too polarizing.

Right now being promoted to weekday and getting to talking about her passion is win win for herself. She may no longer be the anchor, but she still has a job and she is doing what she loves.

Hiring Erica Hill was a fail! She is more grateful to have a job but she is not valued player, with any real skills and even when she appears on the weekday show you can tell that she does not fit in with the rest of the anchors.She is the type where she looks the part but her results has shown otherwise.She tries to be funny and reminds me of a middle-schooler looking around to see who gets her jokes - no one.

They seem to be switching things up for some reason.

Natalie has not read News Briefs In The First Hour for Three Days now for whatever reason.

I have to admit frankly kind of bothers me a little

Maybe they are switching the format up a bit. I think Natalie is experiencing what Amy went through as she mentioned in her book. NBC has the tendency to drop a rising star when they see someone fresh come through, so they start putting all the attention on them and then drop the people that are there. This cycle always happens especially at NBC . I believed that this was happening to Lester too until the Brian Williams scandal. And we see how that turned out, Lester is their Saving Grace. I for one would like Natalie to leave too because she seems like she isn't happy. I know they would never do this but I would like for them to really phase out some people at Today (Matt, Al, and Natalie).

Maybe they are switching the format up a bit. I think Natalie is experiencing what Amy went through as she mentioned in her book. NBC has the tendency to drop a rising star when they see someone fresh come through, so they start putting all the attention on them and then drop the people that are there. This cycle always happens especially at NBC . I believed that this was happening to Lester too until the Brian Williams scandal. And we see how that turned out, Lester is their Saving Grace. I for one would like Natalie to leave too because she seems like she isn't happy. I know they would never do this but I would like for them to really phase out some people at Today (Matt, Al, and Natalie).

Well the weekend people have never gotten much respect in first place. Only Lester and Katie have been promoted

I do like Natalie she my favorite person on the show. I hope they don't phase her out.

Noah Oppenheimer said changes were needed but could be made with it current cast which I agree

But Andy Lack Who came soon afterward probably had a different idea. And NIW that he done with Nightly and in the midst of Reinventing MSNBC he probably now probably his next thing far need change; TODAY

Matt may have been able to save their jobs lady but who know if he will be able to now. Maybe asAndy is one who hired Mtt for TODAY

• Like 1

I know they would never do this but I would like for them to really phase out some people at Today (Matt, Al, and Natalie).

Agreed, I think Savannah is the new star of Today; she really is great on the show.

I was never a huge fan of Al and I'd like to see Dylan replace him. Natalie is good but I agree she just doesn't seem to like NBC anymore, my only problem with Natalie leaving is that Tamron is her heir apparent and I am not a fan of Tamron as news anchor. And finally, I would love to see Matt replaced but I'm not a huge Willie Geist fan and Carson is definitely not journalistic enough to co-host Today.

• Like 2

Well Natalie Contract expire in a year and as much as I hope she doesn't leave It does seem more likely she well. She been a valuable ember of TODAY for nearly a decade.

If NBC really does want to get rid of her then (and let renumber Morning Shows like to make change near the end of the year then they do in the middle or early on) then why not wait until ger Contract runs out a year from now?

But if Natalie is leaving on her own in order to get away from Tamron then I really don't blame her. But for the moment it just our speculation though it been written that Hoda could replace Natalie but that back when it was not sure if Lester would keep his Dateline Job.

But I would have Hoda or Sheinelle then Tamron. And Savannah obviously going to be there for many years to come.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. It just very cornering. And hen they start use to them ls like that it usually a good sign. But then we should take what the producers say with a grain of salt.

I've noticed as well that Today hasn't been doing the news in the first half hour. This morning you only saw Matt and Savannah for the first half hour. They introduced all of the stories and read the headlines. Is this a sign of things to come?

I wonder if Harry Smith is going to be an official anchor for weekend Today. On Sunday's broadcast they announced with Erica Hill and Harry Smith. Maybe it was just because it was a special edition of Today but it seemed off given that since Lester Holt left the names have been dropped.

• Like 2

I wonder if Harry Smith is going to be an official anchor for weekend Today. On Sunday's broadcast they announced with Erica Hill and Harry Smith. Maybe it was just because it was a special edition of Today but it seemed off given that since Lester Holt left the names have been dropped.

The names have been dropped, cause right now Weekend Today is a rotation with different anchors. I don't think Craig Melvin will be a solid replacement, he will always be the fourth wheel. Craig Melvin is too anxious and can't stream through a show smoothly. I have a feeling he will be a polarized figure the longer he stays a host on Today show. He should just stick to reporting.

Harry has been on the show more often doing those stories around the end of the show. Since Lester has left, the show needs a stablizing player that people are familar with. When Lester was at Today show he was a stabilzing presence that people liked and respected. When Matt was not around, Lester was there to keep stablilty there and often it was a treat to have him fill in.

Erica Hill is a hit or miss,Harry Smith knows her better then any anchor on NBC since they both worked at CBS and can possibly work better with her and keep her in her place.

Well Natalie Contract expire in a year and as much as I hope she doesn't leave It does seem more likely she well. She been a valuable ember of TODAY for nearly a decade.

If NBC really does want to get rid of her then (and let renumber Morning Shows like to make change near the end of the year then they do in the middle or early on) then why not wait until ger Contract runs out a year from now?

But if Natalie is leaving on her own in order to get away from Tamron then I really don't blame her. But for the moment it just our speculation though it been written that Hoda could replace Natalie but that back when it was not sure if Lester would keep his Dateline Job.

But I would have Hoda or Sheinelle then Tamron. And Savannah obviously going to be there for many years to come.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. It just very cornering. And hen they start use to them ls like that it usually a good sign. But then we should take what the producers say with a grain of salt.

Natalie has been doing more assignments then anybody and she does not get along well with NBC News President Deborah Turness.

Turness believes that she does not have enough personality and she favors Tamron Hall.

Natalie has been up down in her career cause of stories about her affair with Matt Lauer. The possible affair has hurt her chances of ever ascending to becoming main anchor as long as Matt's wife has control over the situation and Matt Lauer is still at NBC.

Sheninelle was hired by Turness so she is going to be used in the coming future.

As far as Natalie being a Dateline host.If you have been on Dateline's social media pages, they love Lester Holt as their host and won't give him up without a fight.

Agreed, I think Savannah is the new star of Today; she really is great on the show.

I was never a huge fan of Al and I'd like to see Dylan replace him. Natalie is good but I agree she just doesn't seem to like NBC anymore, my only problem with Natalie leaving is that Tamron is her heir apparent and I am not a fan of Tamron as news anchor. And finally, I would love to see Matt replaced but I'm not a huge Willie Geist fan and Carson is definitely not journalistic enough to co-host Today.

I agree about Al and think that he needs to go, he is boring and outlived his stay.

Today show's best replacement was Lester Holt and he has moved on and part of evening news and Dateline. Carson Daly is just a good sidekick, Willie Geist is a blank and nor has he paid his dues to really get the spot. If they were to find a replacement they would probably get someone on the outside with name recognition like Don Lemon or Anderson Cooper.

I always thought Amy Robach was going to get the Today show spot then Savannah but NBC liked Savannah and maybe impressed with her resume. When Ann Curry debacle happened, they wanted a female anchor who can mirror Matt Lauer and not afraid to stand up to him.They also wanted a cutesy Katie Couric clone which Savannah Guthrie is.

Natalie has hindered her promotional chances when stories about her affair with Matt Lauer is still circulating. As long as Matt is still married, the wife will have a say over what happens and Natalie will continue to be the newsreader.

This never came out but one insider said Lester actually thought about leaving Today show and possibly NBC because he was not elevating anywhere.It was written in his contract that he could leave NBC if he did not get the top spot of any major NBC show. He was doing the dead end weekend job for 12 years and wanted a change in his schedule. He was the only guy at NBC who paid his dues , working hard and not getting anything to show for it.

I speculate that NBC panicked over Lester possibly leaving, and circumstances with Brian Williams embellishments was a blessing in disguise for NBC to keep Lester at the network.

If Lester did leave, it would have been an shell shock/nightmare for NBC.If NBC is smart they will do whatever they can to keep Lester Holt content and that includes bumping up his salary cause he is NBC's saving grace. He was the only guy at the network to insiders that never had an ego and never brought drama with him to the network.

• Like 1

I always thought Amy Robach was going to get the Today show spot then Savannah but NBC liked Savannah and maybe impressed with her resume. When Ann Curry debacle happened, they wanted a female anchor who can mirror Matt Lauer and not afraid to stand up to him.They also wanted a cutesy Katie Couric clone which Savannah Guthrie is.

Natalie has hindered her promotional chances when stories about her affair with Matt Lauer is still circulating. As long as Matt is still married, the wife will have a say over what happens and Natalie will continue to be the newsreader.

This never came out but one insider said Lester actually thought about leaving Today show and possibly NBC because he was not elevating anywhere.It was written in his contract that he could leave NBC if he did not get the top spot of any major NBC show. He was doing the dead end weekend job for 12 years and wanted a change in his schedule. He was the only guy at NBC who paid his dues , working hard and not getting anything to show for it.

I speculate that NBC panicked over Lester possibly leaving, and circumstances with Brian Williams embellishments was a blessing in disguise for NBC to keep Lester at the network.

If Lester did leave, it would have been an shell shock/nightmare for NBC.If NBC is smart they will do whatever they can to keep Lester Holt content and that includes bumping up his salary cause he is NBC's saving grace. He was the only guy at the network to insiders that never had an ego and never brought drama with him to the network.

You should read Amy Robach book she released back in September about her battle with breast cancer.

She talk quit a bit and very openly in the book about why she left Weekend TODAY Show and NBC back in 2012. She doesn't hold back much.

She was very unhappy in her last couple years there.

She was going through a lot of stuff at the time (Stress along with anxiety attacks and other personal things and at one point she had a doctor appointment in early spring of 2012 where she found out her heart was damaged) and said how for the last few years she was not feeling the love anymore at NBC like they (the executives high up not her co-workers. she was still very much respected and love when it came TODAY Show staff) really did not want her there anymore. Her career has hit a dead end and she was not really going anywhere. she been doing Saturday TODAY for 4 1/2 Years. She had until 2010 been filling in for Meredith, Brian, Ann and Natalie but suddenly the calls started coming less and less and then eventually they just stop. She was told by doctors she needed to slow down with working. in 2012 her contract was up soon but she was not hearing at all from NBC about renewal and her agent was not getting any calls and that made her worried.

She admit that she wanted to move up to Weekday TODAY when Meredith announced she was leaving. She wanted the Third Hour co-hosting job on the Weekday Show. she thought (And says it was) her!

When Savannah got the Third Hour Job job she then felt it was time for her to leave. And so she joined ABC. She felt like she had to last chance. This was before the whole Ann curry tihng. Had she knew what was about to happen who knows if she would have stayed or not but when Amy left it made room for Tamron.

I should say she has no animosity for Savannah whatsoever. Just thought I should point that out. she doesn't blame her at all. She does still seem to have some bad blood towards NBC 9and probably rightfully so)

But then after awhile at ABC she also started to feel like they were not doing much with her anymore especially after Robin came back to GMA full time. they then kept promising her that they had something planned for her.

Anyway it was very interesting read. I was surprise at how much details she went into, a Great book overall.

But the same has happened to other Weekend Anchors including Jodi Applegate, Campbell brown, Soledad O'Brien and Maria Shriver. The only weekend Co-anchor who ever got promoted to weekday show was Katie Couric.

• Like 1

TODAY came within 185,000 Viewers of GMA in Total viewers Week of November 9-13th (The closest since 2012) and has now won over Two Months in age 25-45 Demo. That is very good news and hopefully they can can keep the momentum going into next year with the Summer Olympics. In 2014 they did not have momentum going into the Olympics.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-nov-9/277945

You should read Amy Robach book she released back in September about her battle with breast cancer.

She talk quit a bit and very openly in the book about why she left Weekend TODAY Show and NBC back in 2012. She doesn't hold back much.

She was very unhappy in her last couple years there.

She was going through a lot of stuff at the time (Stress along with anxiety attacks and other personal things and at one point she had a doctor appointment in early spring of 2012 where she found out her heart was damaged) and said how for the last few years she was not feeling the love anymore at NBC like they (the executives high up not her co-workers. she was still very much respected and love when it came TODAY Show staff) really did not want her there anymore. Her career has hit a dead end and she was not really going anywhere. she been doing Saturday TODAY for 4 1/2 Years. She had until 2010 been filling in for Meredith, Brian, Ann and Natalie but suddenly the calls started coming less and less and then eventually they just stop. She was told by doctors she needed to slow down with working. in 2012 her contract was up soon but she was not hearing at all from NBC about renewal and her agent was not getting any calls and that made her worried.

She admit that she wanted to move up to Weekday TODAY when Meredith announced she was leaving. She wanted the Third Hour co-hosting job on the Weekday Show. she thought (And says it was) her!

When Savannah got the Third Hour Job job she then felt it was time for her to leave. And so she joined ABC. She felt like she had to last chance. This was before the whole Ann curry tihng. Had she knew what was about to happen who knows if she would have stayed or not but when Amy left it made room for Tamron.

I should say she has no animosity for Savannah whatsoever. Just thought I should point that out. she doesn't blame her at all. She does still seem to have some bad blood towards NBC 9and probably rightfully so)

But then after awhile at ABC she also started to feel like they were not doing much with her anymore especially after Robin came back to GMA full time. they then kept promising her that they had something planned for her.

Anyway it was very interesting read. I was surprise at how much details she went into, a Great book overall.

But the same has happened to other Weekend Anchors including Jodi Applegate, Campbell brown, Soledad O'Brien and Maria Shriver. The only weekend Co-anchor who ever got promoted to weekday show was Katie Couric.

Thanks for the info and summary of the book. Out of all the people who left Today, I miss Amy and think that she deserved to move up to weekday Today. Compared to today's new members, I miss the old team from the Today show when it was Meredith, Ann, Lester, Amy, and Campbell. That was when the adults were running the show, the new members are okay but so lightweight.

• Like 1

Seems that Today is making some gains. I haven't watched any of the Big 3 morning shows in months, so I couldn't begin to speculate on what Today is doing right (or GMA doing wrong) that could causing this gap to close some.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-nov-16/278477

CBSTM is still the dark horse that both networks are ignoring, however. My what a storm that will be if/when the day comes CBS is suddenly #2.

• Like 1