Today Show

todayshowproducer

"The studio is undergoing some renovations. Starting Friday August 21, 2015, the floor is being cleared of furniture and standing set pieces in order to replace the flooring. Other improvements to the set are to be done as well over a two week period. During renovations, the Today Show will originate from the Plaza outside and from the ‘Satellite Studio’ on the 2nd floor...The Orange Room is expected to see many alterations."

^^posted on Flickr by Dennis Degan, a video editor at NBC, over the years he has posted great pics of renovations and studios at NBC. I'd expect great pics from him in the coming weeks in reference to the Today Show.20620237948_52d4d82f18_o.jpg 20816696741_79366acdba_o.jpg

• Like 1

looks like more then just the floor! I'm excited. Hope they dont make it look worse!

Well they did say they removed standing set pieces and the Orange Room is being completely redone. Frankly, it'd be cool if they just built a new set. Never felt ecstatic about their current digs.

I don't know about that. I still see the circular outline of it in the top picture.

I don't see anything.

Well they did say they removed standing set pieces and the Orange Room is being completely redone. Frankly, it'd be cool if they just built a new set. Never felt ecstatic about their current digs.

I don't see anything.

20620237948_52d4d82f18_o.thumb.jpg.815c949741e2a2a9f5f17d5ede53b19e.jpg

There it is.

• Like 2

New confirmation of updates from same source as pictures I posted yesterday:

"The changes are wide-ranging in scope. The basic layout will be the same as it is now. Changes include new wall panels, a complete new floor, etc. bit the biggest change will be to the Orange Room, making it bigger and including a new monitor wall. Expect to see the 'improved' Today set Monday or Tuesday of next week."

"The changes are wide-ranging in scope. The basic layout will be the same as it is now. Changes include new wall panels, a complete new floor, etc. bit the biggest change will be to the Orange Room, making it bigger and including a new monitor wall. Expect to see the 'improved' Today set Monday or Tuesday of next week."

Ug. Wish they'd get rid of the orange room.

Aside from the Orange Room changes, why didn't they do any of this when they first built the set?

Aside from the Orange Room changes, why didn't they do any of this when they first built the set?

A majority of the things they are "fixing" are things that they put in last year. Essentially, a year into this new set and they felt that there are/were a few things that they did not like and are now replacing.

The turnstyle floor could have been avoided had they just installed wheels on the desk so they could rotate it.

• Like 1

I hated the set overall and kinda saw this coming. It was too orange and never felt like something Today would do. It felt like they were trying to capture GMA style/essence. It didn't feel true to them and I guess they are realizing it now. I hope people understand what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1

I hated the set overall and kinda saw this coming. It was too orange and never felt like something Today would do. It felt like they were trying to capture GMA style/essence. It didn't feel true to them and I guess they are realizing it now. I hope people understand what I'm trying to say.

I understand what you're going at. And in hindsight, I see it now. The orange was a bit too much. I thought a little more blue or white with give the set some balance.

I loved the ribbon video wall, the the expanding video wall and the rotating floor.

I hope they do a better job with this now-named new set or still-named update. I know it can't please everyone still, I will say I hope this one is a better fit for all of us to look at.

• Like 1

I can't figure out what is meant by new wall panels? Less wood maybe?

I hated the set overall and kinda saw this coming. It was too orange and never felt like something Today would do. It felt like they were trying to capture GMA style/essence.

Today and GMA's sets are nothing a like. GMA is chrome and futuristic like, where as Today, as Al Roker put it, was designed to be "America's living room." Actually, the current set more resembles their pre-2006 (or 7) all-white set than GMA's current one.

Today and GMA's sets are nothing a like. GMA is chrome and futuristic like, where as Today, as Al Roker put it, was designed to be "America's living room." Actually, the current set more resembles their pre-2006 (or 7) all-white set than GMA's current one.

More like Grandma's living room from the 1970s...

• Like 1

I never said that both sets look alike. I just said they tried to do something to me in the direction of what GMA would do and be a bit more flashy but their concept did not transcribe well. That's all

I never said that both sets look alike. I just said they tried to do something to me in the direction of what GMA would do and be a bit more flashy but their concept did not transcribe well. That's all

I don't think that set was ever meant to look flashy. If they wanted flashy, they wouldn't have added so many "homey" elements to it. But anyway...

I feel as if the 2013 update was a nod towards New Day and CBS This Morning. I'd expect less wood in the design this time, as well as more modern furnsihings.

Definitely agree with this. They were trying to be more like CTM but it really didn't come out very well.

When I think of morning show set spectrum, I think of GMA on one side, very flashy, not very warm and then there is CTM which is very warm, quiet and not crazy.

I think GMA needs to move a little towards CTM but not as much as Today tried in 2013.

• Like 1

I don't think that set was ever meant to look flashy. If they wanted flashy, they wouldn't have added so many "homey" elements to it. But anyway...

You are probably right. It seem like I was correct when I said I hope people get what I was trying to say. Clearly I did not.

• Like 2