Today Show

todayshowproducer

In a bit of corporate synergy the Minion took over the Today show. The fans out on the plaza had minion to-shirts and glasses on. While the Orange Room turned yellow. At first glance it looked like they painted it but looking closer you could see they covered the walls up with yellow wood, in addition they laid down yellow carpet and replaced the lamps as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Per TVNewser the Today Show simulcasted Morning Joe this morning for about five minutes. Morning Joe had an interview with John McCain where he gave his first reaction to the disrespectful comments about Senator McCain's military career. I think this is the first time Today has ever simulcasted Morning Joe where in the past it's been the other way around. Most recently it was Mika Brzezinski promoting her book "Grow Your Value" in studio with Savannah Guthrie.

During the simulcast I noticed that the logo on Today's lower third switched from Today/NBC News logos to the Today/Decision 2016 logo.

• 1 month later...

I was watching Weekend Today, and I saw that the team broadcast from the second floor of Studio 1A.

(I got the peek from a live throw on WCAU about ten minutes earlier)

When the show began I saw that the first floor's windows were covered. I'm curious.

Was there an accident on the set? Are there updates being done? What's going on--does anyone know?

Well, Erica knows. And that didn't take long.

She revealed during the 7:30 half hour that updates are being done to Studio 1A, which clearly explains the covered windows.

Maybe the updated set will be unveiled the upcoming week, or the week after. I'm intrigued now.

I guess the accident is that the the updates are coming in 1+ year too early? heh.

I saw this too, and got very excited. I hope they are doing something about the background behind the couch area. I'd also love to see a skyline backdrop for behind the main anchor desk that can rise and fall, like they used to have before the 2006 update. Take things back to the 1985-1990 set that had a background of midtown Manhattan. Also replace the part of the set in the corner just behind the demo area that Al Roker himself has described as a scene from Sesame Street!

Picture1.jpg

They've also made a makeshift orange room...complete with jars of oranges behind Dylan.

Capture.jpg

Doesn't really answer the question as to why they were upstairs, but I thought it to be cool shot from make up artist Deborah Bells. Someone did comment asking her why they were up there (she hasn't responded to them). None of my sources seem to want to answer my emails and messages...I'm really excited for a cool change downstairs (fingers crossed)

I've noticed that they haven't really been using the set as the opening background anymore, instead just using the windows...maybe some changes related to that...such as new backgrounds and maybe even a new desk.

They started randomly using the windows from the start of the show sometime in March or April. Eventually, they used the windows more and more frequently, and now they use the windows exclusively. It never dawned on me until this very moment where I'm typing this, but I think it's a seasonal choice. Nobody wants to see out the windows in the winter when it's still dark outside at 7am, and the spring and summer months are perfect for using the windows from the get-go. I'd also like to say that the couches on the set as a backdrop never felt right, and maybe just because it was different from what's been done for decades.

Word on the street is the studio is being cleared of everything so the entire floor can be replaced. The existing set will go back, with some alterations, many of which will be focused on the Orange Room.

Allegedly, this is going to take two weeks.

Word on the street is the studio is being cleared of everything so the entire floor can be replaced. The existing set will go back, with some alterations, many of which will be focused on the Orange Room.

Does that mean the revolving platform the desk sits on is going away?

Really? Where did you hear this? Wonder why they're replacing the floor...maybe the lazy Susan is messed up. Orange room is going to become more like social square likely.

Its an interesting theory. I saw tweets from Savannah saying a new desk and couch is coming. I really want to know what to expect and actually see it!

• Like 1

This morning they tossed to Jeff Rossen who was at the video wall. It was shot off axis with one or two panels of the wall and windows shown.

If they're replacing the studio floor, then why didn't they do that when they built the new set? Doesn't make sense to strike the old one, build a new one in its place, then decide a year later that they need to replace the floor too

They did replace the floor. They added a turning platform where the desk is, allowing the desk to be rotated. They may be deciding to remove that platform all together.

They did replace the floor. They added a turning platform where the desk is, allowing the desk to be rotated. They may be deciding to remove that platform all together.

If that's all they're doing then there surely wouldn't be a need to dismantle the entire studio, unless there was important wiring or something that was running underneath the floor in those areas.

If that's all they're doing then there surely wouldn't be a need to dismantle the entire studio, unless there was important wiring or something that was running underneath the floor in those areas.

I think that they're also getting a new desk. Not too sure.

I'm hoping they tone down the wood tones just a bit. Maybe revert back to the whitish scheme like they have done with the KLG and Hoda set is much more flexible than the set downstairs and I think you can see that by their increasing use of that set for more and more segments including demos and celebrity interviews (not to mention the mishmash look that set has compared to the rest of the first two hours).

I just think that a whiter and less busy set aesthetic wise would provide them with greater flexibility in addition to their myriad of digital components like the movable monitors and wrap around ribbon over homebase. Just looking at the versatility of the old set with its color changing walls (with different lighting) and lighter color tones made the set amenable to nearly any change needed. I think that more of that and less of the faux wood/ 70's home look would give the set more longevity instead of the dated feel it now has only two years after the renovation.

[GALLERY=media, 700][/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 699]/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

• Like 1