Today Show

todayshowproducer

Didn't this story first come from a tabloid source? Why did you guys take anything from a tabloid so seriously? They were probably just trying to stir up some controversy and get people talking, and it worked.

There have been plenty of stories that have turned out to be true that started with the tabloids. Most notably the Ann Curry disaster.

There have been plenty of stories that have turned out to be true that started with the tabloids. Most notably the Ann Curry disaster.

And then there are some people that will believe everything they read on a gossip website.

This was Horowitz's ideas. Horowitz is gone. Everybody is safe, for now. If someone does get canned, it'll be by someone else with a different strategy.

And then there are some people that will believe everything they read on a gossip website.

This was Horowitz's ideas. Horowitz is gone. Everybody is safe, for now. If someone does get canned, it'll be by someone else with a different strategy.

And then in the last three instances of major turn overs at NBC, the network started out claiming that there was no truth to the stories only to turn out that there was in fact truth behind the allegations.

I've been saying that too. I would do a complete overhaul. I would bring in Josh, Hoda, and even Dylan Dryer. I think thats a winning team and change the structure of the show a bit since they have been using the same formula for a while now.

I think this is a good article and I hope NBC reads this. Get rid of the catalyst...http://www.medialifemagazine.com/how-to-fix-nbcs-struggling-today-show/

A few other ideas: Get rid of titles like co anchors and call them all presenters so everybody will feel equal on the show. Get rid off the fluff, today has had this formula for 15 years + and now its showing.

I'm usually very doubtful of the stuff that any network puts out on personnel changes and such, but I really am convinced that this whole kerfuffle was on Mr. Horowitz. I'll reiterate, I'm not saying there won't be changes down the line, but no one's leaving RIGHT NOW through THIS STRATEGY.

They're even making fun of it on the air, something you didn't see leading up to the upheavals in recent years... http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/today-hosts-laugh-off-reports-of-being-fired-what-are-you-doing-here_b246692

Here's a fun throwback to one of the first personnel blow-ups in Today's history... http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/either-do-whats-necessary-or-admit-youre-not-up-to-it-the-other-today-manifesto_b246631

I've been saying that too. I would do a complete overhaul. I would bring in Josh, Hoda, and even Dylan Dryer. I think thats a winning team and change the structure of the show a bit since they have been using the same formula for a while now.

Agree with everyone but Josh. He was good starting out at GMA, but as the years went on and near the end he seemed to have an arrogant attitude about him. I would rather have Lester replace Matt before Josh he can stay at NBC sports.

See, in recent years, I've thought of Matt as a double-edged sword; they're screwed with him, but they'd likely be somewhat screwed without him. For some, he still is the draw to the show. Frankly, as much as his image has been tarnished, NBC just doesn't have a successor that could easily fill the void. Installing Josh would come across to many as the show being desperate (which it would be). Carson is the poor man's Seacrest, and to think we thought HE might get hired, you can forget Daly. Personally, I think Lester is better than the weekday show. The slower-paced weekend show fits him well, and it could be argued that much of it has been shaped around him. Honestly, their best bet right now is Willie, but flat out dumping Lauer for ANYONE would likely cause some short-term damage. And with how NBC is being run these days, Matt's successor would likely be vilified by many, and the new guy wouldn't stand a chance against management. Matt would have to be given a really good deal (yes, maybe even pricier than his current contract) to leave voluntarily, or maybe he just wakes up one day and resigns, but his exit would have to be his own (possibly provoked) choice.

Frankly, they're stuck.

See, in recent years, I've thought of Matt as a double-edged sword; they're screwed with him, but they'd likely be somewhat screwed without him. For some, he still is the draw to the show. Frankly, as much as his image has been tarnished, NBC just doesn't have a successor that could easily fill the void. Installing Josh would come across to many as the show being desperate (which it would be). Carson is the poor man's Seacrest, and to think we thought HE might get hired, you can forget Daly. Personally, I think Lester is better than the weekday show. The slower-paced weekend show fits him well, and it could be argued that much of it has been shaped around him. Honestly, their best bet right now is Willie, but flat out dumping Lauer for ANYONE would likely cause some short-term damage. And with how NBC is being run these days, Matt's successor would likely be vilified by many, and the new guy wouldn't stand a chance against management. Matt would have to be given a really good deal (yes, maybe even pricier than his current contract) to leave voluntarily, or maybe he just wakes up one day and resigns, but his exit would have to be his own (possibly provoked) choice.

Frankly, they're stuck.

Yeah seriously. If they get rid of Matt now then to some it will look like the Ann Curry debacle except with Matt Lauer and under slightly different circumstances. Also hasn't the exodus from Today slowed down significantly? Anyway, what NBC is probably doing is using the remainder of Matt's contract to either find a replacement for him or groom up someone they might be interested in promoting to the position (Willie, Carson, whoever) over the next couple of years to make them as good as they can be and familiarize the viewers with them.

If NBC really wanted rid, could they not slowly reduce Matt's days on air. Say, in early 2015 give him Friday off, and test out new faces, then in late 2015 give him Thursday off too... then in 2016 give him a new role at NBC... Would bring in his replacement slowly, while not alienating the viewers.

• 1 month later...
I think he kind of already is on the four day plan, or like 7 days out of 8, but the idea is certainly viable.

If NBC really wanted rid, could they not slowly reduce Matt's days on air. Say, in early 2015 give him Friday off, and test out new faces, then in late 2015 give him Thursday off too... then in 2016 give him a new role at NBC... Would bring in his replacement slowly, while not alienating the viewers.

I thought that as well but it seems like recently the days he has been off he was actually on assignment conducting an interview. I only really noticed this when a month or two ago he was off Friday and that day on Nightly News they had an excerpt of an interview that aired the proceeding Monday.

But I wish if he was truly off they would just come right out and say it instead of them being "on assignment." Of course that was true with Walter Cronkite because he had a sailboat named Assignment. Plenty of people when they have seniority they start getting an RDO on Friday's (or any other day) off every other week and I think the viewing public would be okay with that.

Do we really needs 9 main hosts on one show, even if it is 4 hours long? Too many people is the problem. Tamron was fine at MSNBC and filling in when needed (like when Carson is never their due to The Voice). I cant believe NBC likes her that much that they gave into her contract demands for a spot in the 9am hour. Natalie is just plain boring. I don't think anyone would mind seeing her go. Matt has now been co-anchor for 18 years & with the show for 21. He's now officially the longest serving morning show co-anchor in history. A good record indeed, but now past time to pass the baton. Something has got to give. They need more vibrant personalities to right the ship. Hoda & Josh would be a good pairing. NBC should test them out sometime to see how it goes.

Do we really needs 9 main hosts on one show, even if it is 4 hours long? Too many people is the problem. Tamron was fine at MSNBC and filling in when needed (like when Carson is never their due to The Voice). I cant believe NBC likes her that much that they gave into her contract demands for a spot in the 9am hour. Natalie is just plain boring. I don't think anyone would mind seeing her go. Matt has now been co-anchor for 18 years & with the show for 21. He's now officially the longest serving morning show co-anchor in history. A good record indeed, but now past time to pass the baton. Something has got to give. They need more vibrant personalities to right the ship. Hoda & Josh would be a good pairing. NBC should test them out sometime to see how it goes.

Well, maybe in the US. Here in the UK, we have Lorraine Kelly who has been presenting for just over 30 years now. She started as a reporter in 1984, and became a presenter in 1989. In 1993, when a new company took of production of the network morning show, Lorraine presented her own show at breakfast time a sort of 'KLG and Hoda' half hour, and later in '93 added anchoring the main show to her duties. In 1994, her show was extended to an hour, and she continued that show for 18 years. In 2012, she joined the main show (rebranded) as the host of the 7 - 8:30 portion (there was a newshour from 6-7), and continued her own show form 8:30 onwards. In 2014, the main show got rebranded again and Lorraine left to dedicate time to her own show. In addition to that, she's presented the mid-day show This Morning, similar to Today's Take I guess.

Matt trailing a close second then...

• 4 weeks later...

EricaHill214156.jpg

I still love the versatility of this section of the set. It's much better than the big GMA screens. I like how you can make them one or split them up (like even during a segment) into six single screens. Makes for a great interview and other segments! I think the Today Show scored big time with this update.EricaHill214152.jpg