The PHL 17, WHYY, CSN, and Everything Else Philly Media Thread

Jess

This is general discussion on:

• PHL 17
  • WHYY and other public media
  • Comcast SportsNet
  • español (Univision 65/Telemundo Philadelphia)
  • What the hell, let's throw in KYW Newsradio and other radio stuff as well.

Note that I omitted CW Philly 57. Since it's so linked with CBS 3, I figured discussion on that could go in the CBS 3 thread.

So I'll start with 17.

Apparently Antenna TV allows local bugs or something? Because 17 decided to be especially genius:

17GreatEntertainer.jpg

Yup, they're using their Great Entertainer logo as the bug. Which is amazing.

Yea, What's up with Antenna TV putting channel 17 as their logo during shows?

Because it is channel 17?

They do display the Antenna TV logo coming out of breaks, but it spins into the local bug. That logo is what they used in the mid-80s, and when they did a retro Dancin' On Air marathon, they used that logo in promotions and a similar bug.

I think it's cool that they bothered. Especially since many of the shows on Antenna TV were aired on The Great Entertainer or the original incarnation of "PHL17" back in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

A PHL 17 observation:

Tonight's (Christmas) 10pm edition of Action News on PHL 17 featured the anomaly of having a taped report by a reporter who works for a competing station. They ran a report by Steve Highsmith on the Mummer's parade preparation. He is currently employed by NBC 10, and I understand that he continues to host public affairs programing on PHL 17 despite their arrangement with WPVI to produce the news. Just thought this was interesting to note!

A PHL 17 observation:

Tonight's (Christmas) 10pm edition of Action News on PHL 17 featured the anomaly of having a taped report by a reporter who works for a competing station. They ran a report by Steve Highsmith on the Mummer's parade preparation. He is currently employed by NBC 10, and I understand that he continues to host public affairs programing on PHL 17 despite their arrangement with WPVI to produce the news. Just thought this was interesting to note!

Highsmith is actually an employee of both NBC 10 and PHL 17. I actually think he has a more important position at 17 (director of community affairs) than he does at 10. The public affairs programming on 17 was produced at 10 when the latter was still providing the newscasts; it's now done in-house.

• 2 months later...

What's up with this new "KJWP" Channel 2 that I just found on my local section on Directv?? It's Me TV ... that came from WFMZ 69.3. But why does it have a "K" call sign??

Long story short, the owners used a legal loophole to move it in from Jackson, Wyoming. I would go into detail, but it's late here and I'm tired, so I'll leave that to somebody else.

This is general discussion on:

• PHL 17
  • WHYY and other public media
  • Comcast SportsNet
  • español (Univision 65/Telemundo Philadelphia)
  • What the hell, let's throw in KYW Newsradio and other radio stuff as well.

Note that I omitted CW Philly 57. Since it's so linked with CBS 3, I figured discussion on that could go in the CBS 3 thread.

So I'll start with 17.

Apparently Antenna TV allows local bugs or something? Because 17 decided to be especially genius:

17GreatEntertainer.jpg

Yup, they're using their Great Entertainer logo as the bug. Which is amazing.

Since I'm just now seeing this...

Yes, they do. WITI uses a modified version of their old 1970's-early 90's logo, which can be seen on http://fox6now.antennatv.tv/.

• 5 weeks later...

WMGM beat 'TXF in some timeslots despite reasons that shouldn't even have to be explained.

News slots or other programming? I know overall in the news competition it's a three horse race between 6,10, and 29.

3 is such an afterthought these days. They try so hard to be a clone of WCBS but they forgot the "putting out a good product" part of the equation

News slots or other programming? I know overall in the news competition it's a three horse race between 6,10, and 29.

3 is such an afterthought these days. They try so hard to be a clone of WCBS but they forgot the "putting out a good product" part of the equation

A little of both from what I understand. 29's early evening shows don't really pull in huge numbers.

And poor 3. I really feel a lot of the decision making that's hurting them is coming from network rather than inside 1500 Spring Garden, but who knows.

A little of both from what I understand. 29's early evening shows don't really pull in huge numbers.

And poor 3. I really feel a lot of the decision making that's hurting them is coming from network rather than inside 1500 Spring Garden, but who knows.

It's a little bit of both. They still have the same ND that they had during the Mendte-Lane era so it's not like she woke up stupid one day. I think with network tightening the purse strings a bit, I don't think she is one that works well with a more restrictive budget. Transversely take a look at 10. When NBC dropped the big budget axe on their stations, they managed to soften the blow by changing they way they presented the news (remember All That & More and Live at 5?). Doing that kept them from letting go big name talent like a lot of their sister stations did and they stayed a respectable station (for the most part) through and once Uncle Comcast came in they rebounded nicely and are giving 6 a good run for their money.

• 3 years later...

Archived