Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

The Fox 29 News/Good Day Philadelphia Thread


Recommended Posts

Here's hoping the classic logo sticks around. It breaks up the rectangular monotony of the current gfx and I appreciate them using it for the bug today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joyce Evans is retiring from FOX 29....last day is August   https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/8/7/signing-off-in-philly

I'm pretty sure they're actually upstairs in the main news studio. I guess Studio 29 is getting a makeover.

Fox 29 "interviews" Astros' Trash Can   https://www.12up.com/posts/philly-news-station-jokingly-interviews-trash-can-in-wake-of-astros-punishment-amid-sign-stealing-scandal-video-01dyjpqzp84

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

Here's hoping the classic logo sticks around. It breaks up the rectangular monotony of the current gfx and I appreciate them using it for the bug today.

I definitely agree, it looks a lot better than the Good Day/Youse Up Yet logo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

comings and goings- Lauren Johnson announced on her social media today that she's headed to WTVD to be their evening anchor. Incoming is Shaynah Ferreira, most recently at WTNH, for a  "reporter/anchor" position (as she put it on her Twitter)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Drew Anderson will be joining the Fox 29 Weather Authority team from WFMZ, where he worked weekend mornings. He is a great meteorologist and will be an awesome edition to their team. 

Screenshot 2021-09-21 2.08.29 PM.png

 

Always said that Drew Anderson is top-notch talent.  He's a great guy.  FOX29 got themselves a heck of a meteorologist.  

 

-- Matt

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Watching Good Day on Friday & this morning, they're anchoring from in front of the monitor setup with a video feed of the corner windows behind them. This makes me think they have to be making some desk or set adjustments. Otherwise, why anchor from next to the window... with a feed of the window... instead of just their regular spot in front of the window?

 

image.png.aa9f0f6037d02323fb97fb4984d992b6.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:31 AM, PhillyWatch said:

Watching Good Day on Friday & this morning, they're anchoring from in front of the monitor setup with a video feed of the corner windows behind them. This makes me think they have to be making some desk or set adjustments. Otherwise, why anchor from next to the window... with a feed of the window... instead of just their regular spot in front of the window?

 

image.png.aa9f0f6037d02323fb97fb4984d992b6.png

 

I'm pretty sure they're actually upstairs in the main news studio. I guess Studio 29 is getting a makeover.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The 10pm news seems to have been dramatically reformatted. I’m catching up on the livestream.

 

  • it’s now titled “10 at 10”.
  • the ENTIRE newscast now seems to be formatted into 10 minute blocks.  Jason Martinez did the first 10 minutes, then traded off to Shaina Humphries for another ten minute block.  Jason’s on a third block as I type this.
  • Each block starts with a “Rundown”, complete with large Gannett 1.0-style graphic on right side.
  • Weather is now two 1 minute hits in each “block”.
  • More frequent commercial breaks of just 60 seconds, including before the seven day forecast.
  • Each block is slightly different.  Shaina’s block seemed to have more national stories.  The first two started with the same lead - John Dougherty’s guilty verdict.  This third cycle started with a supply chain story.

Wow.  And I don’t think it’s a good wow either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad Hulkie was able to get the full deets on this. I saw Jason Martinez tweet out a short video of the studio with "10 at 10" on a monitor, then saw Kathy Orr reply to a tweeter who asked if this was regarding new graphics by saying "fun, fast format". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have functioning capture right now, but I actually remembered I had a license for Bandicam and set it up in time to get it.  I’ve been recording the last hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tuned into the Tubi stream for a replay and started around :30 past and by the time we got to around :50 past my partner said "wait, didn't they just do these stories?". So it looks like repetition is high. 

 

I'm guessing WPHL must be clobbering them in the ratings for them to totally upend the newscast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

I tuned into the Tubi stream for a replay and started around :30 past and by the time we got to around :50 past my partner said "wait, didn't they just do these stories?". So it looks like repetition is high. 

 

I'm guessing WPHL must be clobbering them in the ratings for them to totally upend the newscast. 

Repetition is pretty high, but it's not a canned loop at least.  All of the blocks have different content, and some have different top stories.  So it's a mix.  That being said I felt exhausted by the end of it all, so yeah.  They must be getting fierce competition from WPHL (and this is probably the answer to the question of whether Nexstar goes in-house with their news - they clearly have a good thing going)

 

Here's a compilation of the new format.  Judge for yourself.

 

 

Edited by HulkieD
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2021 at 2:43 AM, HulkieD said:

Repetition is pretty high, but it's not a canned loop at least.  All of the blocks have different content, and some have different top stories.  So it's a mix.  That being said I felt exhausted by the end of it all, so yeah.  They must be getting fierce competition from WPHL (and this is probably the answer to the question of whether Nexstar goes in-house with their news - they clearly have a good thing going)

 

Here's a compilation of the new format.  Judge for yourself.

 

This is reminding me more of a radio broadcast than a TV broadcast. It sounds like something you would hear on KYW News Radio.

 

I know people have short attention spans, but this seems really rushed and unnecessary.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2021 at 2:43 AM, HulkieD said:

Repetition is pretty high, but it's not a canned loop at least.  All of the blocks have different content, and some have different top stories.  So it's a mix.  That being said I felt exhausted by the end of it all, so yeah.  They must be getting fierce competition from WPHL (and this is probably the answer to the question of whether Nexstar goes in-house with their news - they clearly have a good thing going)

 

Here's a compilation of the new format.  Judge for yourself.

 

 

 

That is an extremely fast pace. I don't know if it's sustainable. You're gonna wear out everyone, including your viewers. 

 

cool down milwaukee brewers GIF by MLB

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2021 at 11:43 PM, HulkieD said:

Repetition is pretty high, but it's not a canned loop at least.  All of the blocks have different content, and some have different top stories.  So it's a mix.  That being said I felt exhausted by the end of it all, so yeah.  They must be getting fierce competition from WPHL (and this is probably the answer to the question of whether Nexstar goes in-house with their news - they clearly have a good thing going)

 

Here's a compilation of the new format.  Judge for yourself.

 

 

 

Wow. Interesting format. I will say the 10 minutes are good 10 minutes. But I don't see most people sticking through more than 1 or 2 segments considering the repetition. Are they hoping to train viewers to tune in at any point in the hour to get all the news the need without feeling compelled to start watching from the top of the show? 

 

If I were them, I'd have at least 2/6 of the 10 min blocks be substantially different so that viewers who do want to watch more than 10 min, actually get something out of it. But hey, if they find this works, good for them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.