The Fox 29 News/Good Day Philadelphia Thread

Jess

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

Here's hoping the classic logo sticks around. It breaks up the rectangular monotony of the current gfx and I appreciate them using it for the bug today.

I definitely agree, it looks a lot better than the Good Day/Youse Up Yet logo. 

• 3 months later...

comings and goings- Lauren Johnson announced on her social media today that she's headed to WTVD to be their evening anchor. Incoming is Shaynah Ferreira, most recently at WTNH, for a  "reporter/anchor" position (as she put it on her Twitter)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Drew Anderson will be joining the Fox 29 Weather Authority team from WFMZ, where he worked weekend mornings. He is a great meteorologist and will be an awesome edition to their team. 

Screenshot 2021-09-21 2.08.29 PM.png

Always said that Drew Anderson is top-notch talent.  He's a great guy.  FOX29 got themselves a heck of a meteorologist.  

-- Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Good Day on Friday & this morning, they're anchoring from in front of the monitor setup with a video feed of the corner windows behind them. This makes me think they have to be making some desk or set adjustments. Otherwise, why anchor from next to the window... with a feed of the window... instead of just their regular spot in front of the window?

image.png.aa9f0f6037d02323fb97fb4984d992b6.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:31 AM, PhillyWatch said:

Watching Good Day on Friday & this morning, they're anchoring from in front of the monitor setup with a video feed of the corner windows behind them. This makes me think they have to be making some desk or set adjustments. Otherwise, why anchor from next to the window... with a feed of the window... instead of just their regular spot in front of the window?

image.png.aa9f0f6037d02323fb97fb4984d992b6.png

I'm pretty sure they're actually upstairs in the main news studio. I guess Studio 29 is getting a makeover.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The 10pm news seems to have been dramatically reformatted. I’m catching up on the livestream.

• it’s now titled “10 at 10”.
  • the ENTIRE newscast now seems to be formatted into 10 minute blocks.  Jason Martinez did the first 10 minutes, then traded off to Shaina Humphries for another ten minute block.  Jason’s on a third block as I type this.
  • Each block starts with a “Rundown”, complete with large Gannett 1.0-style graphic on right side.
  • Weather is now two 1 minute hits in each “block”.
  • More frequent commercial breaks of just 60 seconds, including before the seven day forecast.
  • Each block is slightly different.  Shaina’s block seemed to have more national stories.  The first two started with the same lead - John Dougherty’s guilty verdict.  This third cycle started with a supply chain story.

Wow.  And I don’t think it’s a good wow either.

I tuned into the Tubi stream for a replay and started around :30 past and by the time we got to around :50 past my partner said "wait, didn't they just do these stories?". So it looks like repetition is high. 

I'm guessing WPHL must be clobbering them in the ratings for them to totally upend the newscast. 

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

I tuned into the Tubi stream for a replay and started around :30 past and by the time we got to around :50 past my partner said "wait, didn't they just do these stories?". So it looks like repetition is high. 

I'm guessing WPHL must be clobbering them in the ratings for them to totally upend the newscast. 

Repetition is pretty high, but it's not a canned loop at least.  All of the blocks have different content, and some have different top stories.  So it's a mix.  That being said I felt exhausted by the end of it all, so yeah.  They must be getting fierce competition from WPHL (and this is probably the answer to the question of whether Nexstar goes in-house with their news - they clearly have a good thing going)

Here's a compilation of the new format.  Judge for yourself.

Edited by HulkieD

On 11/16/2021 at 2:43 AM, HulkieD said:

Repetition is pretty high, but it's not a canned loop at least.  All of the blocks have different content, and some have different top stories.  So it's a mix.  That being said I felt exhausted by the end of it all, so yeah.  They must be getting fierce competition from WPHL (and this is probably the answer to the question of whether Nexstar goes in-house with their news - they clearly have a good thing going)

This is reminding me more of a radio broadcast than a TV broadcast. It sounds like something you would hear on KYW News Radio.

I know people have short attention spans, but this seems really rushed and unnecessary.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 2:43 AM, HulkieD said:

That is an extremely fast pace. I don't know if it's sustainable. You're gonna wear out everyone, including your viewers. 

cool down milwaukee brewers GIF by MLB

On 11/15/2021 at 11:43 PM, HulkieD said:

Wow. Interesting format. I will say the 10 minutes are good 10 minutes. But I don't see most people sticking through more than 1 or 2 segments considering the repetition. Are they hoping to train viewers to tune in at any point in the hour to get all the news the need without feeling compelled to start watching from the top of the show? 

If I were them, I'd have at least 2/6 of the 10 min blocks be substantially different so that viewers who do want to watch more than 10 min, actually get something out of it. But hey, if they find this works, good for them!

• 2 weeks later...

According to this article, Fox 29 is removing The Dr. Oz Show from the schedule. I think this could be a potential new schedule:

12p - Nick Cannon

1p - 25 Words or Less (x2)

2p - TMZ Live

3p - Judge Judy (x4)

They could also do this but only air Judge Judy for an hour at 3p and debut a 4p newscast. But this is probably the easier way.

Edited by phillynewslover

I saw this thread yesterday and WISH I would’ve posted then, because I 100 percent thought “they could just re-air 9am Good Day to fill an hour”. Save for any Breaking News that might happen, it’s relatively evergreen for the day. It’s the only hour I DVR in case my boo or I want something goofy and light to watch in the evening. They could even air it after The Feed at Night for an extra hour of late night competition. 

• 2 months later...

Starting today, they're giving the 6:30 run of Dish Nation the boot in favor of rotating local shows, starting off with "The Pulse with Bill Anderson", coming from a new retrofitted podcast studio. Checking Zap2It, other shows throughout the week look to be "The 215", a return (or reruns) of "The ClassH-room", "Kelly Drives" and "Props & Locks". All except "Props & Locks" also appear to be airing earlier in the day at 1pm.

26 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Starting today, they're giving the 6:30 run of Dish Nation the boot in favor of rotating local shows, starting off with "The Pulse with Bill Anderson", coming from a new retrofitted podcast studio. Checking Zap2It, other shows throughout the week look to be "The 215", a return (or reruns) of "The ClassH-room", "Kelly Drives" and "Props & Locks". All except "Props & Locks" also appear to be airing earlier in the day at 1pm.

I posted about this last week. But had to be approved by the moderator and it never did why is that?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tvlover971 said:

I posted about this last week. But had to be approved by the moderator and it never did why is that?

With all due respect, you posted not much more than an Instagram link, saying that something was coming. No details or time slot from you or Anderson, just a semi-cryptic "hey, we're working on something" from the host.

• Like 2