The Fox 29 News/Good Day Philadelphia Thread

Jess

• 1 month later...

I just heard it straight from Mike and Sheinelle:

Starting tomorrow, FOX 29 will expand its morning news broadcast to 4AM and name it The FOX29 Morning News. It will air from 4-7 before Good Day, and will probably feature the same anchors and reporters as before. This isn't a test or special airing for the snowstorm coverage. This is permanent.

So let me be first to say this: 4:25 was a stupid idea.

I just heard it straight from Mike and Sheinelle:

Starting tomorrow, FOX 29 will expand its morning news broadcast to 4AM and name it The FOX29 Morning News. It will air from 4-7 before Good Day, and will probably feature the same anchors and reporters as before. This isn't a test or special airing for the snowstorm coverage. This is permanent.

Was expecting the move from 4:25 to 4am, at least on one of the stations. Everyone's been going to 4am so frequently it had to happen soon.

I'm glad that they're finally doing what I've been begging them to do for YEARS, though - separate the early edition of Good Day from the main show. They were doing that until mid-2003, when they decided to just call the whole thing "Good Day" to coincide with the change to the George Mallet/Kerri-Lee Halkett/Jennaphr Frederick team. Ironically, when they were segregated, Fox 29 Morning News and Good Day were pretty much identical in tone and content. When they called the whole thing Good Day, the 5:30-7am block was straight news, and 7am was more of a morning show feel.

Probably also helps that they can now bill them as two separate programs for ratings purposes.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
This morning, Bob Kelly was doing weather for Sue Serio, who was off. He also did the Weather Authority Update throughout the day.

I feel like this has happened before at other stations (and I usuallu see Karen Rogers doing traffic on WPVI, but is regularly a meteorologist), but I don't remember traffic reporters doing weather where I am before.

Bob did the weather segments yesterday, as well as today.

Caitlin Roth's "weekend" is probably Monday and Tuesday and that's who they usually call to fill in for Sue. Maybe they couldn't find anyone else to fill in.

Caitlin Roth is going to the Fox station in Washington, DC. I think last Sunday was her last day on Fox 29. It's mentioned on her Twitter page.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw a commercial on fox 29 this morning saying that fox 29 news at 10 is beating Action News on PHL17 taking the number 1 slot

Wasn't Action News on PHL17, #1 a few weeks ago and under what demographic? A25-54, A18-49 or Total Households? Because if it's A25-54 and/or A18-49, then that doesn't count to me.

Just saw a commercial on fox 29 this morning saying that fox 29 news at 10 is beating Action News on PHL17 taking the number 1 slot

If you think about lead-ins, the fact the 10PM news on 29 has been around for decades, etc., that should be happening anyway--that spot is designed more to try and annoy 6 than anything.

It'd be news if the 10PM on 17 was beating FOX regularly--and for a bit, there were some days where they were and it was competitive.

It'd also be news if the 10PM news on FOX was the market's #1 late news or close to it, or if GDP were making inroads again in the morning. There hasn't been any newspaper coverage on how May sweeps were for Philly. I guess it's safe to assume the status quo?

If you think about lead-ins, the fact the 10PM news on 29 has been around for decades, etc., that should be happening anyway--that spot is designed more to try and annoy 6 than anything.

It'd be news if the 10PM on 17 was beating FOX regularly--and for a bit, there were some days where they were and it was competitive.

It'd also be news if the 10PM news on FOX was the market's #1 late news or close to it, or if GDP were making inroads again in the morning. There hasn't been any newspaper coverage on how May sweeps were for Philly. I guess it's safe to assume the status quo?

Im interested in seeing the numbers for GDP. #2 or #3 in the AM would be pretty impressive.

OAN: Im glad viewers are taking a liking to Ian & Lucy at 10pm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's like all of the stations are taking away things from 6abc. First it was nbc10 taking the official Eagles station title now fox29 is taking the pa lottery station title

In Pittsburgh the lottery also changed stations and is now on WPXI.

All these stations can take these things from 6abc, but the only thing that matters they have not been able to take away for decades, the news at #1.

In Pittsburgh the lottery also changed stations and is now on WPXI.

All these stations can take these things from 6abc, but the only thing that matters they have not been able to take away for decades, the news at #1.

Chances are, people who have come to watch World News Tonight followed by Jeopardy for decades are not going to turn the channel just to watch the lottery drawing, then go back.

Does this mean the lottery numbers won't be shown on Action News anymore, or is that "general information" once the drawing happens?

Chances are, people who have come to watch World News Tonight followed by Jeopardy for decades are not going to turn the channel just to watch the lottery drawing, then go back.

Does this mean the lottery numbers won't be shown on Action News anymore, or is that "general information" once the drawing happens?

I believe its general information once they are drawn. I know here in NY they all run the winning numbers on the crawl in the morning and pretty sure they all post them online

Lottery numbers themselves are public domain, so 6 will still be able to show the numbers.

Fox 29 probably fought hard to get the drawings, I doubt they were the lottery's first choice. Aside from that and WPXI, all the other incumbent stations kept the drawings. WNEP, for example, still has them. They've been very good to the lottery; they air every drawing, including the multistate games, live. Most stations air Powerball and Mega Millions on tape delay.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was mildly interesting. Caitlin Roth, who did weekend and occasional weekday weather on Fox29, recently moved to DC to do weekday traffic & weather at the Fox affiliate there. I figured she relocated as a step up from weekends to weekdays. The DC Fox station just hired Erin Como, who did some traffic at NBC10 a few years back, and was most recently working in Nashville. Caitlin will go back to working weekends. I don't know all the details, but even with the relocation, it seems to be a lateral move. Caitlin is originally from the Philly area, too.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/87129/wttg-adds-erin-como-for-morning-traffic