Comcast Deal To Buy Time Warner Cable Is Off

Nelson R.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if you thought Comcast was bad, better hope that Charter does not make a run at TWC. Although, I'm curious to see if Charter comes in and buys TWC, then sheds some markets to Comcast (i.e. L.A., New York). It won't get the whole pie, but they'll get a slice.

Well, if you thought Comcast was bad, better hope that Charter does not make a run at TWC. Although, I'm curious to see if Charter comes in and buys TWC, then sheds some markets to Comcast (i.e. L.A., New York). It won't get the whole pie, but they'll get a slice.

I'm a Time Warner Cable customer. I have no direct experience with Comcast, and some very dated experience with Charter (I was with them back in the late 90s). That said, from a purely business-oriented aspect, I still consider Charter the "lesser of two evils," given that Charter isn't anywhere close to the behemoth of a conglomerate that Comcast is.

As far as the AT&T-DirecTV merger goes, I believe it is still ongoing.

Also, I'm not surprised that the Comcast-TWC merger fell through. Ever since the news of the merger first broke last year, I knew it was destined to fail.

I had Comcast not once, but twice. The first time around was when I lived in LA. I moved east and switched to Dish before Time Warner Cable would gobble up both Comcast and Adelphia in the region. The second time around dates back to 2011 and I still have Comcast today. Their X1 boxes are so pathetic though.

Their X1 boxes are so pathetic though.

Compared to the boxes that run on the i-Guide (aka the "Blue guide", so called because you can change the color but so many people don't know about that function), X1 is lightyears ahead.

That's what I fully expect at this point. Charter is quietly waiting in the wings to scoop up TWC. And, Comcast will likely then swap/acquire some systems from Charter picking up the few assets they really desired anyway.

It was worth a shot for Comcast to try and acquire TWC. As I previously mentioned they aren't really out much. So, it's back to square one for all the parties...which basically means TWC going with "Plan B" or, Charter. And, it wouldn't totally shock me to find out "Plan B" was quietly being worked on concurrently the given how closely all three parties were working with each other on the Comcast/TWC deal. The industry is ripe for consolidation and a reorganization of clusters. IMO it's not if but when it happens.

Let us hope the DOJ Antitrust lawyers would put an end to the AT&T-DirecTV deal as well...or is it still ongoing?

The AT&T/DirecTV deal is still pending. Although, I expect that to sail through given they pretty much operate in complimentary businesses, save for the small overlap w/ U-Verse TV markets.

Plus, I think it is likely AT&T dumps most of their wireline assets in the near future anyway. I think the merger would only serve to expedite that.

On a side note I'm amazed at how much run the "Comcast will control the internet if the deal goes through" narrative has gotten over the last few months. I guess I shouldn't be as it makes a good headline. But, I still find it really misleading.

With the TWC/Comcast deal falling apart, it means that LA Dodgers fans will be out of luck if they hoped for a resolution to the TV situation. There had been some speculation that Comcast could take a large write down on the deal, but that won't be happening; Not to mention, that TWC is not willing to take a write down, and the team is not willing to re-negotiate their 25-year, $8 Billion contract.

Comcast service isn't that bad, the internet could be more consistent to the advertised speeds but for the most part I've been satisfied. We rarely have outages if we do it's less than a few hours a year. There was a brief outage over the weekend and was able to get an appointment the next day but I investigated deeper and fixed it my self (a squirrel must of chewed a wire).

That's not to say I didn't have troubles in the past. When I got HD boxes eight years ago we kept having troubles and finally had to send multiple BCC emails to a whole bunch of managers and executives (I think there was a response from one of their board members). The problem got the fixed very quickly and had the head tech guy and quality control manager come out an fix it. They told me to call/email anytime and they'll be out next day. I also received three tins of gourmet popcorn from Philadelphia and multiple free movie passes.

Comcast service isn't that bad, the internet could be more consistent to the advertised speeds but for the most part I've been satisfied. We rarely have outages if we do it's less than a few hours a year. There was a brief outage over the weekend and was able to get an appointment the next day but I investigated deeper and fixed it my self (a squirrel must of chewed a wire).

That's not to say I didn't have troubles in the past. When I got HD boxes eight years ago we kept having troubles and finally had to send multiple BCC emails to a whole bunch of managers and executives (I think there was a response from one of their board members). The problem got the fixed very quickly and had the head tech guy and quality control manager come out an fix it. They told me to call/email anytime and they'll be out next day. I also received three tins of gourmet popcorn from Philadelphia and multiple free movie passes.

Sure. Right. :rofl!: You're kidding me!

I've had better dealings with the IRS and the DMV than with Comcast. (and that's the truth!)

They've screwed up my move TWICE, made me wait A MONTH to get service hooked up, then missed their own window both times (but I got a credit the 2nd time). And for the FIFTH time, they're gouging me a RENTAL FEE for a cable modem that I OWN! And the times that I called to correct the problem, they had the nerve to charge me a "bill adjustment fee"!

Flashback a decade to when I had Time Warner service. Oh how nice it was to be paying half of what i'm paying now. Plus the service was decent, attentive, and I even had choices for high-speed providers! (I chose Earthlink).

The industry went to hell during the HD transition. What used to be a reasonable bundle of channels that was manageable has morphed into a gargantuan package of crap that the only way to see what's on is to "guide-surf" or set the DVR.....and that's where they get you again....added equipment and "HD/DVR fees" to keep you from having any control over what you're watching.

Enough general ranting here, but Comcast's quest to own all of TV had to be put to a stop, especially given the hell that their internet-only customers are put through.

Plus, I think it is likely AT&T dumps most of their wireline assets in the near future anyway. I think the merger would only serve to expedite that.

I'm amused at people who claim one cable company is better than another. They're all great -- when you think about it, all the technology involved is pretty amazing -- and all this just to watch TV? They also all suck. Ma Bell is the standard I judge people by and nobody is as reliable as Ma Bell used to be in the 1970's.

With regard to the wirelines, yhey will definitely sell the POTS business, without selling the wire maybe? I say AT&T has to keep them since they need copper lines for that "last mile" from their fiber. But the wires are in bad shape so who knows?

• 4 weeks later...

It's a much better deal since neither Time Warner Cable and Charter are part of entertainment conglomerates (Time Warner having spun off TWC in 2009), and are only in the business of selling the service itself, without having the baggage of programming and content holdings like Comcast.

Xfinity should have been spun off when NBCUniversal was acquired by Comcast.

Archived