The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

Yes, I'm just systematically making threads for all the locals every time they do something noteworthy or funny. So, it's CBS 3's turn!

And ahhh. Sweeps. No, not just sweeps, CBS 3 during sweeps.

See, while 6 does consumer reports and investigative pieces that are sort of dumb, 29 gives us as much Jeff Cole as humanly possible, and 10 just does newscasts with actual relevant stories that matter to people like they do outside of sweeps... CBS 3 just goes the extra mile.

Last sweeps, you'll recall, they asked the eternal question: WHY IS ERICA VON TIEHL DRIVING A TANK?

This year, the burning question is thus:

WHY IS CHRIS MAY WEARING A FIREFIGHTER SUIT?

Oh, 3. I never know whether to laugh, cry, or...

...excuse me a minute...

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

---

Sweeps stupidity aside... I'm finding myself enjoying CBS 3 a hell of a lot more than in the last couple of years. I'm not exactly sure why.

Maybe it's the graphics. They're much more of an improvement than I expected, since I actually thought the Big Glass Eye, Arial font and all, was a pretty decent look for the O&Os. They keep the good stuff from that look while modernizing them to be far cleaner, sharper, and nicer than before.

Maybe it's the music. I'm not as nostalgic for the KYW signature as a lot of people are, simply because, well, they got News In Focus and News In Focus is great. But for some reason, all of the themes since they switched to Enforcer proper have been, well, lacking to me. This theme is easily the best one since News in Focus, and it continues the streak of Gari's latest work being pretty good.

Or... maybe, just maybe, it's the talent.

I was skeptical about Jessica Dean when the hiring was announced - especially since 10 announced they were getting Jim Rosenfield a week before, and since the pairing of Rosenfield with Jacqueline London at 11 is working astoundingly well. And when she debuted, I wasn't exactly impressed.

But since then, I've become a fan. Yes, she definitely is raw and green... but she's likeable. She seems genuine in a way that I wasn't expecting. Maybe part of that is the decision to do Dean's Digital Briefs on CBSPhilly.com - she does a good job of teasing the 11 without sounding like an announcer. In any event, CBS 3 needed a breath of fresh air - and I'm starting to think Jessica is that breath of fresh air. I'm definitely digging her more than I ever did Susan Barnett.

I also want to note about Nicole Brewer. Yeah, that clip went viral, and yeah, everyone thinks she's a bitch who hates Carol Erickson. I wish those people who think that could have seen her about a month ago, when she filled in for Ukee alongside Erika Von Tiehl. The entire morning team was fast, loose, and extremely entertaining, moreso than I usually expect out of 3. Nicole really has, well, a "messing around" sort of humor. That doesn't always translate well to television... but I could tell that Nicole and Erika were having a really good time.

So basically yeah. CBS 3 has facepalmy sweeps stunts... but they seem fresher than they have in a long time.

Last sweeps, you'll recall, they asked the eternal question: WHY IS ERICA VON TIEHL DRIVING A TANK?

This year, the burning question is thus:

WHY IS CHRIS MAY WEARING A FIREFIGHTER SUIT?

I'm sorry, but this seems lame. Nothing, I mean NOTHING can ever top WIEVTDAT?

Nothing.

I'm sorry, but this seems lame. Nothing, I mean NOTHING can ever top WIEVTDAT?

Nothing.

Yes. And Erika Von Tiehl was driving that tank THROUGH CITY STREETS NO LESS. AND SHE HAD ARMOR ON.

Seriously, I don't care if you do a story about "YOUR TOILET PAPER CAN KILL YOU", no sweeps story will ever top Erika Von Tiehl Driving The Tank.

I always watch 3 in the morning, cause I like Erika Von Tiehl & Ukee, and I just find them more entertaining then 6 or 10 in the morning. However I don't watch 3 anyother part of the day.

As for Nicole Brewer, like I said when this was news, that was just her sort of way of bantering. The clips online were taking way out of context, and in some were edited to make her look even worse.

For example in this clip

it appears Nicole is picking an argument with Carol, and then Carol suggests that Nicole probably regrets what she said as well as implies she had something to drink.

but in the unedited/out of context clip as you can see here

a report about Reese Witherspoon's DUI arrest was used as the leadin to weather, and Carol's whole i'm sure she regrets that "glass of whatever" was about the Witherspoon story, and not directed at Nicole.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Fybush, a true expert in all things radio, reports that KYW (AM) will relocate to Spring Garden at KYW-TV in a renovated tv/radio newsroom. (http://www.fybush.com/site-extra-20131127/) by the middle of next year.

It's interesting that CBS is joining their newsrooms together once again. I believe since KDKA (AM) moved, WBZ (AM) and WBZ-TV are currently the only CBS television and news radio stations to share a newsroom. I would think it would make a little more sense to include WIP-FM and WPHT (AM) as well. Is there insufficient space at the new building?

WIP runs out of the same building as 1060 (they have since they took over 94.1 I believe). They're moving WPHT and WOGL (currently in Bala Cynwyd) downtown, so likely they're streamlining operations.

One thing I hope they don't do - and you guys might not agree with me - is rebrand the station as "KYW-3" again. "CBS 3" is just fine, and I like that the TV and radio sides are different entities.

• 2 months later...

Scott Fybush, a true expert in all things radio, reports that KYW (AM) will relocate to Spring Garden at KYW-TV in a renovated tv/radio newsroom. (http://www.fybush.com/site-extra-20131127/) by the middle of next year.

It's interesting that CBS is joining their newsrooms together once again. I believe since KDKA (AM) moved, WBZ (AM) and WBZ-TV are currently the only CBS television and news radio stations to share a newsroom. I would think it would make a little more sense to include WIP-FM and WPHT (AM) as well. Is there insufficient space at the new building?

As an offshoot of Westinghouse acquiring CBS, In San Francisco, KCBS AM moved out of their home at Embarcadero Center to 855 Battery St, home of KPIX early in the 2000's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

its a shame that CBS 3 ratings for its newscasts have significantly tanked. Changes need to be made ASAP.

since that post. Jenn Bernstein, Elizabeth Hur, Bob Kelly have all left the station. What is going on? why is everyone leaving KYW-TV?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

"Talk Philly" is done.

Does this mean the return of Eyewitness News at Noon full time?

I've said this before but Pat is severely underused. There were several times this week that Chris anchored solo at 5, 6, 10, and 11. One word: unbearable!!

I've said this before but Pat is severely underused. There were several times this week that Chris anchored solo at 5, 6, 10, and 11. One word: unbearable!!

Eyewitness News at Noon returns full time on Monday. Check my blog, The Changing Newscasts Blog, for details.

idk how accurate it is but i saw the tv guide and it says so and didn't they have like a 7-9 hour on the cw channel?

idk how accurate it is but i saw the tv guide and it says so and didn't they have like a 7-9 hour on the cw channel?

I saw the channel guide and instead of eyewitness news, it is just paid programming