The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

Over the past few months, I noticed KYW-TV phasing out "Eyewitness News" in favor of "CBS News Philadelphia". It was very gradual, but now it seems like the Eyewitness News name is completely gone after nearly 60 years. The news opens I saw last week said "This is CBS News Philadelphia". As recently as last month, the news desk still said "Eyewitness News".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, scranton said:

image.png.46a1ab8d7e596977069c0fc0b42625bb.png

Whoa. What is this 3?

Some have suggested elsewhere it is a reworking of the pre-KYW 3 from 1963-65 (thank you logopedia for the image).  Maybe?  I think - keeping with Eagles green theme - it looks the goal posts fell over - or a 2 prong plug.

Wrcv1960s.webp

• 2 weeks later...

Something I'd like to know-- do you think the new titling of the news on the CBS O&Os reminds you somewhat of when Sunday Morning used to have that panel of places around the world where CBS News has had bureaus (which said "CBS News Rome," "CBS News Nairobi" and "CBS News Johannesburg", among others) above a TV monitor at which Charles Kuralt sat when he was speaking to another CBS News correspondent-- to wit, this?

cbssundaymorningbureaupanel.jpg.50dad26eba9749043516d923ee03780b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it looks like the Sat & Sun 10PM CBS/CW news is no longer on.  It's been replaced with SEAL Team & Magnum, PI reruns.

Edited by SF1964
  • Like 1

I had read that the weekend editions of the "News NOW" centralized newscasts had been discontinued but was surprised to see that KYW didn't revert to a local half-hour and instead dropped news altogether. The belief is that once the CBS stations drop The CW, they'll be adding more newscasts, so I'm optimistic that come Fall weekend news will be back. I always preferred their half-hour option at 10. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, jb542 said:

Looks like CBS3 will launch their 8pm newscast on Ch57 starting September 5

Will Natasha Brown be anchoring that newscast as well?  🤦‍♀️  She only anchors 9AM, occasionally at noon, 4PM and fills in at 5PM a lot.

40 minutes ago, SF1964 said:

Will Natasha Brown be anchoring that newscast as well?  🤦‍♀️  She only anchors 9AM, occasionally at noon, 4PM and fills in at 5PM a lot.

No? Not without giving up the 9am. News anchors work normal, 8-ish hour shifts, like most people, but that doesn't mean 8 hours on-air. 🤨

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like Natasha.  I just find it odd that her "on-air" day seems like it's stretched out.   The station has sports anchors filling in for news anchors and regular news reporters doing sports.  Having some anchors sitting in chairs at the desk, others standing awkwardly.  The other stations in the city have many anchors/reporters that can do both well and can fill in on any newscast and don't have to use the same 5-6 anchors every day.

Edited by SF1964

3 hours ago, SF1964 said:

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

No? Not without giving up the 9am. News anchors work normal, 8-ish hour shifts, like most people, but that doesn't mean 8 hours on-air. 🤨

43 minutes ago, SF1964 said:

I like Natasha.  I just find it odd that her "on-air" day seems like it's stretched out.   The station has sports anchors filling in for news anchors and regular news reporters doing sports.  Having some anchors sitting in chairs at the desk, others standing awkwardly.  The other stations in the city have many anchors/reporters that can do both well and can fill in on any newscast and don't have to use the same 5-6 anchors every day.

Surprised they didn’t give the morning team the 9am, and the 4pm team the 12noon. That would’ve made more sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Surprised they didn’t give the morning team the 9am, and the 4pm team the 12noon. That would’ve made more sense. 

WBBM did that (early AM & 9, and 11 & 4), but they still added a solo anchor for their 7-9am stream. I don't know if KYW goes into the 7 o'clock hour, but adding in some solo anchor somewhere in the day might help with expansion.

13 minutes ago, 24994J said:

WBBM did that (early AM & 9, and 11 & 4), but they still added a solo anchor for their 7-9am stream. I don't know if KYW goes into the 7 o'clock hour, but adding in some solo anchor somewhere in the day might help with expansion.

KYW has a streaming/WPSG 7am with regular morning anchors Jim Donovan and Janelle Burrell.

Edited by Georgie56