The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

4 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Was this in the first half hour or second? (Or both?) This could have been a staffing/covid or studio issue, OR perhaps they're thinking of adding CBSEN after the first half hour instead of replaying it. 

Both.  10PM and 10:30PM.  I didn't see any mention on Ukee or Jessica's Twitter about it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SF1964 said:

Tammie Souza was off today, so Mary Ours from KDKA Pittsburgh did the CBS3 weather this morning.

Not bad for someone who (just 4 years ago) was on WJAC with a not so certain future. I'm so happy for Mary. https://twitter.com/MaryOursWX/status/1528003287127040000?t=TbBY97KZyQt7nFR4jAfqMw&s=19

On 5/21/2022 at 2:26 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

Not bad for someone who (just 4 years ago) was on WJAC with a not so certain future. I'm so happy for Mary. https://twitter.com/MaryOursWX/status/1528003287127040000?t=TbBY97KZyQt7nFR4jAfqMw&s=19

She had such potential, but she seems to put more effort into being a clown on TikTok. And what does it say about CBS that they are importing their Philadelphia weather forecasts from Pittsburgh?

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 12:59 AM, newsdude said:

She had such potential, but she seems to put more effort into being a clown on TikTok. And what does it say about CBS that they are importing their Philadelphia weather forecasts from Pittsburgh?

Oh, it looks like KYW isn't just importing their weather from Pittsburgh, you can add KTVT Dallas Meteorologist Jeff Ray to this list. https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/5/24/what-the-hell-is-up-with-that

How does this happen in a Top 5 market like Philadelphia? 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

3 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Oh, it looks like KYW isn't just importing their weather from Pittsburgh, you can add KTVT Dallas Meteorologist Jeff Ray to this list. https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/5/24/what-the-hell-is-up-with-that

How does this happen in a Top 5 market like Philadelphia? 

WCAU has had some guy in Dallas doing the weather weekend mornings while Krystal is filling in on weekday evenings for Brittney who is on maternity leave. Honestly surprised they just don’t have their NYC station meteorologists fill in as they are the closest. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

WCAU has had some guy in Dallas doing the weather weekend mornings while Krystal is filling in on weekday evenings for Brittney who is on maternity leave. Honestly surprised they just don’t have their NYC station meteorologists fill in as they are the closest. 

I agree, NYC is the best bet. I wonder if cost has something to do with that decision as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, newsdude said:

She's actually been there for awhile as they went through the whole mess with leadership. She was also a high up staffer at KYW back during their News Tonight era in the early 90s. It's a good hire as she knows the market inside and out so she can at the very least make the station watchable again.

• Like 2

As featured in this article from NewscastStudio, there were plans to transition the weather segment branding from 'Eyewitness Weather' to the "Next Weather" branding currently used at WFOR, WBZ and WCCO in the near future, but they were put on hold due to the hiring of Kathy Gerrow as news director. 

"NewscastStudio sources say that KYW in Philadelphia was also preparing to switch to “Next Weather” as well, but a recent news director hire may have put a halt or pause on those plans"

Also in the article is this tidbit about the new set:

"KYW is also anchoring from a temporary location as a new set is installed in its primary studio, but that debut may be delayed as leadership changes."

Edited by Action Newsroom

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

As featured in this article from NewscastStudio, there were plans to transition the weather segment branding from 'Eyewitness Weather' to the "Next Weather" branding currently used at WFOR, WBZ and WCCO in the near future, but they were put on hold due to the hiring of Kathy Gerrow as news director. 

"NewscastStudio sources say that KYW in Philadelphia was also preparing to switch to “Next Weather” as well, but a recent news director hire may have put a halt or pause on those plans"

"KYW is also anchoring from a temporary location as a new set is installed in its primary studio, but that debut may be delayed as leadership changes."

Another mention in the article that I agree with is that CBS didn’t go with a unified branding, particularly Next Weather as not many stations use it. 

4 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

The set has been under construction for awhile now and Kathy's been in the position on an interim basis for much of that time. I'm pretty sure she signed off on it. 

That said, with as much as the station is bleeding money, I doubt they'd rip out a set this close to the finish line.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

The set has been under construction for awhile now and Kathy's been in the position on an interim basis for much of that time. I'm pretty sure she signed off on it.

I know all that. I'm sure she would too. I only put it that there to emphasize on the underlined (that the debut would be delayed) because it was interesting at the time.

8 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

That said, with as much as the station is bleeding money, I doubt they'd rip out a set this close to the finish line.

Same here.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1