The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

They used the blue graphics, and I wish I had saved a copy because I'm not sure who the voiceover was, but it was likely something thought up during the pandemic (as mentioned) to lighten the load on the stations that just never came to fruition. 

It was taken down due to KDKA-TV not having legal use to Brian Lee due to Lee having a contract with WPXI-TV. They couldn't use Kamer either due to WCAU. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

It was taken down due to KDKA-TV not having legal use to Brian Lee due to Lee having a contract with WPXI-TV. They couldn't use Kamer either due to WCAU. 

The KDKA/KYW hybrid thing was a result of CBS forcing their O&Os to come up with redundancy plans after the  COVID-19 outbreak at CBS News/WCBS HQ in NY. Of course, it forced other stations to pick up the slack last minute (Boston covering for NY, etc.) I doubt any of these will really ever see the light of day, but who knows? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for some info and want to see if any diehard Philly newsies or anyone have some answers.

Going back to the days when KYW-3 was NBC and WCAU was CBS. I found a 1990 write up in The Philadelphia Inquirer. It was talking about

KYW-3 ratings down after a certain sweeps period. They had the numbers in there, and the 6pm news was a rating point behind WCAU. The 11pm

tied with WCAU. 

What I want to know is with affiliated with NBC at that time, was KYW 3 ever competitive? Does anybody know if there were times with NBC

having some good programming helped KYW leaped to #2, or was it always dead-last?   As for WCAU it was owned by CBS and I'm sure CBS

had to be happy with their performance vs. NY, LA, Chicago  O&O were not doing so well.

Just wanted to know if anyone who knows Philly, have some stories or details about the market before the 1995 CBS/NBC switch.

Looking at some of the old KYW-3 videos it does seem like KYW-3 News was solid off course there are different eras. I see some like The News Tonight era.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Incoming Anchor Alert- per the Chicago board, Siafa Lewis is coming in from the NBC affiliate in Chi-town. While at WMAQ he was their main sports anchor and weekend AM anchor, this article explicitly states he's coming in as a weekday anchor

So...where does he fit in? My guess is 4pm and/or 5pm. It was unfortunate that they had to blow up the original 3@4 format because of the pandemic. Perhaps he'll be slotted there with Natasha Brown as they revert that to something more unique in the 4-6:30 block. 

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

Incoming Anchor Alert- per the Chicago board, Siafa Lewis is coming in from the NBC affiliate in Chi-town. While at WMAQ he was their main sports anchor and weekend AM anchor, this article explicitly states he's coming in as a weekday anchor

So...where does he fit in? My guess is 4pm and/or 5pm. It was unfortunate that they had to blow up the original 3@4 format because of the pandemic. Perhaps he'll be slotted there with Natasha Brown as they revert that to something more unique in the 4-6:30 block. 

Could he be replacing Jim Donovan?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Interesting. Anchoring at 4p with Natasha was my first thought, but something else he could do is anchor the noon. I don't know if he would do it solo, with Natasha, or another reporter (maybe Kerri Corrado), but it would be a good start and it would relieve Jim and Janelle of having to work so long.

Edited by phillynewslover

The one thing I've long had a problem with on 3 is them using way too few anchor pairs for a schedule that newscast heavy.  I mean, Ukee and Jessica do the 5, 6, 10, and 11 - that's a lot and it would be nice to give one or two of those slots to another pairing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HulkieD said:

The one thing I've long had a problem with on 3 is them using way too few anchor pairs for a schedule that newscast heavy.  I mean, Ukee and Jessica do the 5, 6, 10, and 11 - that's a lot and it would be nice to give one or two of those slots to another pairing.

They do the 4 too. I definitely agree with you - right now, there are only two anchor teams the entire day. 

• Like 1

Watching the 4p and Natasha is anchoring solo. She got the trivia question right and mentioned it was her second one in a row; they only do one per day so she has to have been talking about yesterday. However, Ukee and Jess were on when I watched last night at 10p. Maybe she's anchoring solo until Lewis joins her on the show?

ETA: Jessica's Twitter bio says "Up late on @CBSPhilly 5/6/10 & 11PM". Don't know if she hasn't updated it since Natasha and Alex left the 4p show or if I'm right and Lewis/Brown is the new anchor pairing at 4. 

Ukee popping up periodically was part of the original 4pm format. I can definitely see the new anchor pairing taking over the 4, and hopefully either the 5 or 10 (I have a feeling it'll just be the 10). Nothing against Ukee and Jessica, but as was stated before- there should at least be another pairing to give them a break/break up the monotony. 

• 3 weeks later...