The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

What were they airing up until now? And do we know whereabouts that shot of Jan is from? That backdrop is very reminiscent of the CBSN Local sets...

They were airing infomercials in the 8AM hour on Sundays.

This is the temporary set that is being used for their newscasts while the new set is being worked on. But I could eventually see this be reworked into a set for CBSN Philly...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Ukee and Jessica are together at the desk again today, and I feel like there's something new about the screens behind them, but can't quite put my finger on it

I feel that too. It looks like they've been upgraded with multiple screens and blue lit borders throughout the desk area. I honestly thought they finally got a new set because of the brighter and clearer picture and actual bevels (not the fake ones on the middle screen) behind Ukee.

Well it looks like KYW wins...and I thought KPIX had a crappy refresh with their remodel.

their shots are so tight, you never see the new desk and they never mentioned the new look.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:47 AM, SFTV said:

Well it looks like KYW wins...and I thought KPIX had a crappy refresh with their remodel.

their shots are so tight, you never see the new desk and they never mentioned the new look.

I don’t think KYW got a new desk just the new monitors

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phillynewslover said:

Alicia Roberts

After last year, CBS 3 is still way down on staffing, so they're reducing coverage while forcing existing reporters to pick up more of the slack where they can. Difficult value proposition for new reporters to consider, though, when CBS just whacks people left and right basically at will. Sad state of affairs and I'm bearish on an actual rebound with this station.

19 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

After last year, CBS 3 is still way down on staffing, so they're reducing coverage while forcing existing reporters to pick up more of the slack where they can. Difficult value proposition for new reporters to consider, though, when CBS just whacks people left and right basically at will. Sad state of affairs and I'm bearish on an actual rebound with this station.

I think once they get new management at the top of the O&O division then work can be done to fix the individual stations. After what came out earlier this year about Peter Dunn and co esp in relation to how they wanted KYW run, it shows just how deep a hole they're in. I believe they just recently hired a new GM and they certainly have their work cut out for them. It seemed like Brien Kennedy had a good vision for the station going forward but was thwarted by his bosses and ended up leaving as a result (and who could blame him). 

You can tell the station is hurting for revenues given their recent set "refresh". I'm just guessing, but given the number of other CBS O&Os that have adopted what was originally just WCBS' set, they could get a good deal on it if they wanted a new set, but they chose to just replace all the monitors and Duratrans on what is essentially a 14 year old set. Yes the basic structure and elements of it have been around since they moved in to that building. Only the desk has been fully replaced since then. 

What they may have to do is beef up the sales department and start selling segments and/or launch a lifestyle show just to generate cash to weather the storm. Stations have recovered from much much worse including this one whose real dark age ran for a good 13 years including the entire 90's into the early 2000s.

• Like 1

Can any station insider there explain why so many reporters are leaving? Is it that bad a shop? Pay? No one leaves the other stations. 

And… the lack of strong reporters is noticeable. A lot of B team folks.. no stars other than Ukee. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newsman123 said:

Can any station insider there explain why so many reporters are leaving? Is it that bad a shop? Pay? No one leaves the other stations. 

And… the lack of strong reporters is noticeable. A lot of B team folks.. no stars other than Ukee. 

The CBS O&O/Peter Dunn scandal detailed the environment of the shop very well.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3 has another new reporter: Wakisha Bailey from WPBF in West Palm Beach recently joined the station. Now, three reporters have left, but three more have come.

Recently left

• Greg Argos (February 2021)
  • Dan Koob (June 2021)
  • Kimberly Davis (June 2021)

Recently joined

• Alicia Roberts (December 2020)
  • Jasmine Payoute (June 2021)
  • Wakisha Bailey (July 2021)

• 2 weeks later...

You can add Alexandria Hoff to the recently left. Last Sunday was her last broadcast.

I asked our director to snap this photo after the show because I wanted to remember this moment well.

Tonight was my final newscast at Cbs3.
For those of us in this business, working where you grew up is almost always the goal. When home is in a news market like the Philadelphia region, it’s a dream that can feel very distant to a young reporter. I am so lucky to have been able to live that dream for six years.
In a few short weeks my family and I will be embarking on a wonderful new adventure. I can’t wait to share that with you all.
Thank you for all of the Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection.
Philadelphia, it has been my pleasure.

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and indoor

Edited by adamv2
  • Sad 2