The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, chance said:

Alicia Roberts, formerly of CBS Atlanta, started at CBS3 today. Her first report was on Wednesday’s winter storm. Roberts said she was glad to be back home. 

I was just about to comment on this.  Looks like she was a reporter and anchor in Atlanta. I’m wondering if there’s any anchoring in her future at CBS3.

On a separate note, are Natasha and Alexandria no longer anchors of the 4PM? Ukee and Jessica have been anchoring it since Covid hit, and it doesn’t seem to be as fill-ins.

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

On a separate note, are Natasha and Alexandria no longer anchors of the 4PM? Ukee and Jessica have been anchoring it since Covid hit, and it doesn’t seem to be as fill-ins.

If I'm not mistaken, they were originally demoted back in May along with the infamous layoffs. It seems like their attempt at 4PM news with a different take did not pan out.

15 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I was just about to comment on this.  Looks like she was a reporter and anchor in Atlanta. I’m wondering if there’s any anchoring in her future at CBS3.

They don’t anymore. It happened in May along with the firing of Chantee Lans, Lesley Van Arsdall, etc... of course, they still work at the station, but now only anchor as fill-ins. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of two pretty damning stories about Peter Dunn in the LA Times today.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-01-24/cbs-television-stations-peter-dunn-racism-sexism

Some quotes but I recommend reading the whole thing:

His first major move was to install a hometown hero, Ukee Washington, as lead evening anchor. Kennedy said the promotion of Washington — a Black journalist who has been with KYW more than 30 years — was long overdue. Washington started at KYW in 1986 as a sports anchor and, a decade later, became morning news anchor, where he remained for 19 years.

Dunn knew Washington from his KYW days and approved the promotion, but Kennedy said in an interview that Dunn frequently disparaged Washington, calling him “just a jive guy.”

“Peter would say: ‘All he does is dance ... dancing, dancing,’” Kennedy recalled in an interview.

In a 2016 budget meeting, Dunn asked about Washington’s transition to lead anchor.

“He’s not doing that ‘jive talking’ anymore? Sometimes, he’s just not speaking my language,” Cronan recalled Dunn saying in the meeting, which was attended by several people. Kennedy separately recalled the incident.

It's a testament to the modern trend of out-of-market suits running homogenized station groups with no regard to market needs (I.E. iHeartRadio), although in this case we have the cherry-on-top of the suit being a blatant bigot

I also see this as a testament to the local management at KYW and how they wanted the station to be competitive and succeed. They had plans, they made changes, they were excited. But all Dunn and Friend could do was rain on their parades and snuff out any sparks of hope. 

I had never heard the "white-whitness news" nickname before, then again, I come from a white household. We also weren't watching KYW either...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, chance said:

Kate Bilo posted on her Instagram story that they are making some changes to the studio. Now the weather room is behind the area where Don Bell does sports. The lightning in the studio looked very different. 

Looks like Ukee and Jessica have individual setups in front of separate monitors. It doesn't look like either are in the main studio at all so we may finally see them getting a much needed new set.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Looks like Ukee and Jessica have individual setups in front of separate monitors. It doesn't look like either are in the main studio at all so we may finally see them getting a much needed new set.

That's what I was thinking. Jessica and Ukee have been at completely different desks since December or so, but now it looks like neither of them are in the studio at all. The lighting was pretty bad last night when I watched; it looked like they were all at home, especially Kate.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

On an unrelated note, reporter Greg Argos departed the station and the industry about a week ago.

I liked him. I think I've only seen him anchor once, on Christmas Eve last year. Sad to see him go.

22 hours ago, SF1964 said:

Lauren Casey isn't using the temporary weather studio.  She's been doing her forecasts this weekend from their outdoor deck in a winter coat.

I noticed that. At first I thought there was an issue in the studio, but she did it both nights, and Llarisa was in the temp. weather studio this morning. Maybe it was a personal choice of hers? Although I don't know why she would want to stand outside in the cold.

• 2 weeks later...