The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

On 3/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, SF1964 said:

Looks like they're going to start showing repeats of the 10PM CW-Philly news at 10:30PM.   It even says "Encore" over the station ID bug on the screen.   

Would've made much more sense to just expand the broadcast to an hour, which I thought happened when I noticed it just now.

• Like 3

CW/CBS3 has their weekend news/weather/sports team split up.  Joe Holden stays at the desk alone.  Lauren Casey does her entire forecast from the weather center and Lesley Van Arsdall is reporting sports from the newsroom.  I can only assume this is virus-related.

Edited by SF1964

5 hours ago, SF1964 said:

CW/CBS3 has their weekend news/weather/sports team split up.  Joe Holden stays at the desk alone.  Lauren Casey does her entire forecast from the weather center and Lesley Van Arsdall is reporting sports from the newsroom.  I can only assume this is virus-related.

they are social distancing. only one anchor in studio, the other anchor in the newsroom, and weather is done at the weather center.  

4 hours ago, kshow said:

they are social distancing. only one anchor in studio, the other anchor in the newsroom, and weather is done at the weather center.  

Correct....

CBS3 Philly this morning. Jim Donovan at the Anchor Desk.  Janelle Burrell at Newsroom. (Someone correct me on this please). I'm watching CBSN Philly.

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

Correct....

CBS3 Philly this morning. Jim Donovan at the Anchor Desk.  Janelle Burrell at Newsroom. (Someone correct me on this please). I'm watching CBSN Philly.

I believe Jan Carabeo was in the newsroom this morning, not Janelle Burrell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, DoubleDare said:

I got to say I am really liking CBSN Philly, especially on my roku tv thru the CBS NEWS 24/7 app. I really hope ABC and NBC does something similar (As I usually prefer their news to CBS)

I think ABC may do something similar but I'm really not too sure since all ABC said was that they're creating Roku and Fire TV apps for its ABC stations.

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I think ABC may do something similar but I'm really not too sure since all ABC said was that they're creating Roku and Fire TV apps for its ABC stations.

Ah well, that is fine by me, if say the 6abc WPVI app has live streaming news on it when the broadcasts happen.

• 1 month later...

Came across this on Youtube and it's... interesting, to say the VERY least. Anybody have any clue as to what this could be about? I'm guessing COVID coverage, possibly on the CBSNs but this would be an absolute trip to see on-air. Has this been used at any time already?

3 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Came across this on Youtube and it's... interesting, to say the VERY least. Anybody have any clue as to what this could be about? I'm guessing COVID coverage, possibly on the CBSNs but this would be an absolute trip to see on-air. Has this been used at any time already?

I'm going to guess it's a contingency open to run Philly and Pittsburgh if KDKA has to shut down due to the virus now that Pittsburgh is slowly getting out of lockdown. Have to believe a similar open exists at KDKA in case of vice-versa.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

KDKA-TV can't use the Brian Lee Voiceover because WPXI already uses Lee for their promos. Can we hear a version from Steve Kramer? 

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I'm going to guess it's a contingency open to run Philly and Pittsburgh if KDKA has to shut down due to the virus now that Pittsburgh is slowly getting out of lockdown. Have to believe a similar open exists at KDKA in case of vice-versa.

I'm sure what happened at the CBS Broadcasting Center in New York had all the O&O's evaluating their contingency plan. Makes sense that the back up for KDKA would be KYW since they're in the same state. 

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

KDKA-TV can't use the Brian Lee Voiceover because WPXI already uses Lee for their promos. Can we hear a version from Steve Kramer? 

Probably not because WCAU already has Steve Kramer for their voice-over work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MyNewsArchive said:

Probably not because WCAU already has Steve Kramer for their voice-over work.

I wonder if there will be a compromise. WPXI uses Brian Lee in a small capacity but I would love to hear Lee do KDKA-TV promos.  

• 2 weeks later...

FTVLive reported today that a bunch of CBS3 employees were just let go.  Reporters Crystal Cranmore, Chantee Lans, Cleve Bryan, Sports anchor Lesley Van Arsdall, and Traffic anchor Chandler Lutz are among the notables.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/5/28/over-a-dozen-gone-in-philly

This info was also posted in the TVNT General Discussion section, as there were layoffs at other CBS O&Os.

Edited by SF1964
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.nexttv.com/features/city-of-brotherly-love-gets-phil-of-local-content

This is buried in the last few paragraphs, but it's a really big deal.  We like to slag on this station so much that I can kinda just abbreviate it to "LOLKYW", but I was stunned to find that KYW is doing... actually not that badly at 11pm.  In fact, they're #2 in households.  They're still #3 in the demo, but at .2 ratings points behind WCAU it's not like they're dead.

Tonight or this week I plan on checking their 11pm out to see how they're doing.  I want to see what's going on there and if there's a spark there... honestly, watch out.  Ukee Washington is one of the best talents to ever perform in this market and if he finally has a GOOD product behind him, they could catch on.

• 1 month later...