The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

Gotta spend some money to make money and get ratings up.. and NO they are NOT shutting down n
Shutting down news operations at CBS 3 is off the table imo. What they need to do is fire a lot of people and bring in new people to run the news division and perhaps the station and bring in new on-air talent.

Shutting down news operations at CBS 3 is off the table imo. What they need to do is fire a lot of people and bring in new people to run the news division and perhaps the station and bring in new on-air talent.

You're the only one that's suggested shutting down news ops.

You’ve suggested shutting down or outsourcing KYW and WTXF’s news operations several times. It was never “on the table” to begin with — no one at CBS, Fox, or at the local level has brought it up. You’re the only person who (stupidly, I must add) suggested shutting down a news operation.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 6

You're the only one that's suggested shutting down news ops.

Is there a reason this guy is allowed to keep trolling this thread and the Fox29 thread? I mean, I disagreed with someone in another thread once and was sanctioned immediately for being argumentative (which I was not and the sanction was later overturned).

He was the same way over on the yahoo group for Philadelphia TV news pre-TVNewsTalk, with the same user name and all.

Is there a reason this guy is allowed to keep trolling this thread and the Fox29 thread? I mean, I disagreed with someone in another thread once and was sanctioned immediately for being argumentative (which I was not and the sanction was later overturned).

He was the same way over on the yahoo group for Philadelphia TV news pre-TVNewsTalk, with the same user name and all.

Frankly, I’d like to see him be threadbanned or at least put on Moderated Posts.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, SF1964 said:

Morning anchor (and Philadelphia native) Rahel Solomon is leaving CBS3 for CNBC.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/cbs3-anchor-rahel-solomon-cnbc/

All the good ones keep jumping ship. I feel like Jim’s the main problem on the morning show. He should go back to the consumer beat where he excelled.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get all the KYW hate either. Ukee and new-Jessica are fine. Kate Bilo is very good, as is Don Bell. I'll admit the field reporters vary wildly in quality, but they're just reporting the facts on the ground, not doing in-depth analysis. I prefer the more upbeat coverage. I don't need if-it-bleeds-it-leads and over-dramatizing everything. 

I think what's killing them is that familiarity is what drives local ratings and high turnover is killing them there. Especially in the mornings, although I was thrilled when Meisha Johnson moved on. I know guys loved her because she was supposed to be a "bombshell" but I found her cloying, annoying and fake. Rahel Solomon was a huge upgrade over her predecessor, but now she's gone. I don't get why everyone here seems to hate Jim Donovan so much. Just because he's not in the traditional anchor mode? I like that's off-beat and has a personality. Too many stiffs behind the anchor desk. 

I switch between Ch. 3 and Ch. 10 in the morning, and honestly, except for money spent on production, I don't see a huge difference in their quality. Vai is a better newsman than Jim Donovan? How so? Bill Henly is likable, but so is Katie Fehlinger. I don't get the purpose 2 weather people at the same time serves. NBC10 news is prettier, but I don't see why that makes it better.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 1:21 PM, SF1964 said:

Morning anchor (and Philadelphia native) Rahel Solomon is leaving CBS3 for CNBC.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/cbs3-anchor-rahel-solomon-cnbc/

Big follow up.

WCBS's AM reporter Janelle Burrell will be traveling down the turnpike to replace Rahel as new AM & midday anchor.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mughunter said:

Today (Sunday, June 16) is Chelsea Ingram’s last day as weekend morning meteorologist. On her Facebook post, she said she is not leaving CBS though. 

https://www.facebook.com/138477126324024/posts/1194235317414861?s=100000502322227&sfns=mo

I’m sure Matt Peterson will fill her spot as he is on staff as a fill-in. I wonder if Chelsea is going to one of the other O&Os.

Edited by TVNewsLover

7 hours ago, Mughunter said:

Today (Sunday, June 16) is Chelsea Ingram’s last day as weekend morning meteorologist. On her Facebook post, she said she is not leaving CBS though. 

Sad to see her leave from CBS3, but very happy to her she's staying in the Eye's picture. Good luck to Chelsea on her next career destination.

I always loved watching Chelsea on weekend mornings with Jan Carabeo. They had great chemistry. I'll miss her, but I'm happy she's going back home. Since I have a vacation house in Milton, DE, I'll still be able to watch her on WJZ.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KYW IN TROUBLE AS PER THIS POST via FTV: Station Manager Brian Kennedy is OUT the door. No replacement has been set as of yet. KYW has struggled throughout the years in ratings. I will say this. No one is not messing with the news station near the Philadelphia Zoo. Sorry but not sorry.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/7/23/out-the-door-in-philly

PS: They may need to the same at NYC CBS O&O.

Edited by Spintech33