The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

Maybe they can call Susan Barnett back as main anchor. She was liked and kept it kinda stable after the Alycia Lane and Mandte incident. I think Susan still lives in Philly area since her husband is a Doctor.

I see Susan on a commercial for a lawyer firm in Philly. They show it a lot on CBS3.

• Like 1

CBS 3 is in serious trouble right now. One of their lead anchors is leaving. That has to be a big blow for the station and the employees.I don't know if CBS 3 can get anyone from the outside to replace Jessica. Probably everyone knows about the many issues the station has and probably don't want to leave a market and move to Philly work at CBS3. they may have to promote someone from within the news team.

Who wouldn’t jump at the chance to work in market #4? They’re not going to have a problem naming a replacement. Plus, CBS has other issues to worry about right now, so I’m not sure filling that spot is their number one priority...

• Like 3

No way you leave market 4 -as main anchor willingly unless you’re moving up the market ladder.... Chicago, LA, NYC

Completely untrue. I've had several on-air coworkers who have moved on from market 4 to lower markets. There are way more considerations to the job than that.

• Like 4

Completely untrue. I've had several on-air coworkers who have moved on from market 4 to lower markets. There are way more considerations to the job than that.

Like if your a morning anchor at a dog station but get an offer to anchor the evening news in a top staton in a top 10 market you’d jump.

Oh another example is Marianne Bannister she apparently was the midday anchor at KABC and left to head to WBAL in the 90s because the money and promotion were right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

[MEDIA=twitter]1054387307875328005[/MEDIA]

CBS3 stealing NBC10's thunder, with the announcement that Jessica Kartalijia will join from WJZ as their new evening co-anchor. She fills the void left by Jessica Dean who joined CNN in Washington. As a long time viewer of Jessica, I understand she and her family live in either Baltimore or Harford County. I wonder if she'll end up commuting to Philly (about an hour and 45 minutes) initially before moving.

CBS3 stealing NBC10's thunder...

LOL. 4th place news org in the city hires another anchor that probably won't last that long here either cause the station's management can't get out of its own way? Not even close. I will give them credit for going to a respectable operation to find her though. They should also look at WJZ to figure out how to put out a decent news product.

• Like 7

CBS3 stealing NBC10's thunder, with the announcement that Jessica Kartalijia will join from WJZ as their new evening co-anchor.

lmao Stealing what thunder?

A new anchor can't beat a new set

(going on what goes on here).

Congrats to Jessica K. on the market upgrade, and to KYW for this great pickup.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

LOL. 4th place news org in the city hires another anchor that probably won't last that long here either cause the station's management can't get out of its own way? Not even close. I will give them credit for going to a respectable operation to find her though. They should also look at WJZ to figure out how to put out a decent news product.

Quoted for emphasis. WJZ is a good CBS operation. Maybe KYW can replace some of the management with WJZ staffers; because the KCCO experiment in Philly isn’t working.

KYW may wanna add to their male anchor bench. Or at least not have Ukee and Jessica anchor 5,6,10,11pm shows. The station is a mess, why is CBS allowing its station in the 4th largest market to be such a non competitive entity???

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I thought they were in 3rd place, but I get your point. Same difference.

Quoted for emphasis. WJZ is a good CBS operation. Maybe KYW can replace some of the management with WJZ staffers; because the KCCO experiment in Philly isn’t working.

KYW may wanna add to their male anchor bench. Or at least not have Ukee and Jessica anchor 5,6,10,11pm shows. The station is a mess, why is CBS allowing its station in the 4th largest market to be such a non competitive entity???

Yes, the WCCO experiment is not working. Doing things such as switching where the weather and sports people sit will not do the trick (weather person has to walk in front of desk to get to their seat). The same anchor team at 5/6/10/11 while also contributing to the 4pm doesn’t work. And while I like Alexandria and Natasha, I don’t think they make a good team at 4pm. Send one of them to weekends with Joe and give the other a young male co-anchor, and they should add either the 10pm (or 6pm) to their duties.

Sports: Don Bell was an upgrade from Beasley Reece so all ok there.

Weather: I love Kate Biko but she seems better suited for mornings. They should have never booted Kathy. And I’m not sure what purpose adding Lauren served. She is definitely not for evenings.

• Like 1

I hate to say this but any moves CBS3 makes with their news division will not turn things around . their news operation is on its last legs and I think every person that follows TV news knows it. Sooner rather than later the low ratings will have huge implications for the station down the road imo , despite the money it makes with the newscasts. Its just a matter of when. Sooner or later , CBS brass is going have to do something drastic.

Edited by Guest

I hate to say this but any moves CBS3 makes with their news division will not turn things around . their news operation is on its last legs and I think every person that follows TV news knows it. Sooner rather than later the low ratings will have huge implications for the station down the road imo , despite the money it makes with the newscasts. Its just a matter of when. Sooner or later , CBS brass is going have to do something drastic.

Please, get it out of your head. CBS will not outsource a news operation at one of it’s largest O&O stations in the 4th largest television market.

CBS is not going to make a deal with ABC or NBC for WPVI or WCAU (two market leaders/network O&Os) to produce a newscast for a CBS affiliate, especially one owned by the network. No.

No one is denying that KYW’s news department is a dumpster fire and changes ought to be made. But your definition of a change is “outsource” or “shutter the news department.”

The only CBS O&O which doesn’t have a news department is KYW’s sister station in Detroit, which is one of CBS’ moneymakers in that it costs pennies to run and that CBS can run it as a passthrough without spending money on a serious news department.

CBS is not going to shut down or outsource a long-standing news department — and to an extent, a Philly institution, simply because the product is crap.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 7

Every hire they make is for budgetary reasons (cheap). Younger and younger is less and less appealing to the news consumer! Market 4 is not a starter market and KYW is a prime example of what NOT to do in a DMA like Philadelphia. Doesn't matter if you have fancy sets\graphics\music ...It's the people on the screen that viewers care about.

Younger and younger is less and less appealing to the news consumer!

Even if the younger hires are actually talented?? Even if the consumer prefers the older, more seasoned anchor or reporter, they should realise they aren't going to be at the station forever -- and the execs know this, so they hire these younger fresh faces to keep the cycle of reporting the news going or else they'll have trouble having enough people in the stable to fill the line-up.

Even if the younger hires are actually talented?? Even if the consumer prefers the older, more seasoned anchor or reporter, they should realise they aren't going to be at the station forever -- and the execs know this, so they hire these younger fresh faces to keep the cycle of reporting the news going or else they'll have trouble having enough people in the stable to fill the line-up.

Wrong... Young and talent doesn't last in small markets not large markets. Again KYW\CBS O&Os run a young and cheap operation. I can speak from experience on that one knowing what positions offer and who accepts them vs who doesn't. Salaries are considerably less and they rather try and train vs bring in seasoned talent. You need seasoned talent on the streets for I-pieces who know how to work and manage sources and have the experience handling a complicated situation\story that occurs in a large market vs a smaller market. But what do I know.. I only have 30 years in the business

• Like 5

Wrong... Young and talent doesn't last in small markets not large markets. Again KYW\CBS O&Os run a young and cheap operation. I can speak from experience on that one knowing what positions offer and who accepts them vs who doesn't. Salaries are considerably less and they rather try and train vs bring in seasoned talent. You need seasoned talent on the streets for I-pieces who know how to work and manage sources and have the experience handling a complicated situation\story that occurs in a large market vs a smaller market. But what do I know.. I only have 30 years in the business

WPVI/WCAU run a seasoned and older operation. Especially WPVI; the reason why they’re number one is because their anchors and reporters have been around forever. Even ‘PVI’s “young” talent is top notch. Same with NBC10.

At KYW other than Ukee Washington and maybe Natasha Brown who there has been around longer than 5years? Talent comes and goes at that station. No real connection with the city and it’s residents. Unlike Action News where their Anchors are household names.

There’s a reason why so many have abandoned ship at KYW. It’s a station you come to build your resume and add market 4 to your list of accomplishments; and then head National.

This Ain’t some flyover market in Kansas. It’s a place where people should aspire to get to and WANT to stay long term. That’s how u build a successful station. By hiring people who find it an honor to be in Philadelphia.

It’s a shame what has happened to CBS. Long gone are the likes of Walt Hunter, Pat C, Malcolm Poindexter, Trudy Hanes, Larry Kane, etc

But that’s the business nowadays: Young, Pretty, & CHEAP.

Edited by NYPhillynews
  • Like 4

I will chime in and note that WCAU was pretty much blown up in the past five years as well. They brought in a ton of younger talent and market newcomers. The difference is that Comcast is willing to invest in the station. Obviously the biggest sign of their investment happened this week with the big move, but they're bringing in talent left and right and for the most part keeping them. Jim Rosenfield, Jacqueline London, Keith Jones, et al have been with the station for five years at this point and all look like they're becoming station cornerstones. Plus they made smart talent moves when it counted - Vai's move from sports has turned out to be very successful, whereas the Jim Donovan experiment in mornings has been disastrous.

And let's not forget Fox 29. They have their own problems, but look at the talent they have. Bob Kelly, Sue Serio, Kathy Orr, Dawn Timmeney are all homegrown, be it at Fox or outside of the station, and Lucy Noland gets significant social media exposure on my feed thanks to her animal activism.

CBS 3 just does not have that. They have Ukee. That's it. If they weren't doing the weather reports on 1060 they would be even more anonymous.

• Like 5

I don't know why the commenters on this thread are so negative about CBS 3.

We watch CBS 3 at 6 and 11 about 85% of the time, 6 ABC about 15% of the time, NBC 10 almost never and FOX 29 never.

I almost never watch the morning news on any station, except maybe 6 ABC on weekends, and then only rarely.

• Like 2

I don't know why the commenters on this thread are so negative about CBS 3.

We watch CBS 3 at 6 and 11 about 85% of the time, 6 ABC about 15% of the time, NBC 10 almost never and FOX 29 never.

I almost never watch the morning news on any station, except maybe 6 ABC on weekends, and then only rarely.

So you're the one lol