The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

They did a tease at noon ahead of the first broadcast, and a talent shot showed only the 4 anchors, so I'm guessing they're not testing Kate and Don as official parts of the team, and unless Lauren is leaving weekends, they might opt for a rotation of the weekend people. When the dust settles, I bet we'll end up only seeing Ukee and Jessica for the headline read at the bottom of the hour, the two alternating days.

• Like 1

They did a tease at noon ahead of the first broadcast, and a talent shot showed only the 4 anchors, so I'm guessing they're not testing Kate and Don as official parts of the team, and unless Lauren is leaving weekends, they might opt for a rotation of the weekend people. When the dust settles, I bet we'll end up only seeing Ukee and Jessica for the headline read at the bottom of the hour, the two alternating days.

It seems like it’s Natasha and Alexandria’s show, with the others just contributing.

• Like 4

This 4pm news is going to be a total failure for CBS3. They were stupid to even try and compete with 6 and 10 at that time slot.

With all due respect, it seems like you have nothing positive to say about 3 or even 29. I happen to like what 3 is doing with their 4pm show. It may not be as hard-hitting as the other 4pm shows, but 3 is known for being different and trying new things. I tip my hat to 3 for being different and I wish them luck at 4pm. It may take a while, but they have to keep going and make a name for themselves doing things different.

• Like 3

Don Bell did pop up to talk about a single sports story, but it didn't count as a full report.

Stephanie Stahl has done two full health reports these past two days so if they're gonna have health segment on the show everyday you might as well count her in.

With all due respect, it seems like you have nothing positive to say about 3 or even 29. I happen to like what 3 is doing with their 4pm show. It may not be as hard-hitting as the other 4pm shows, but 3 is known for being different and trying new things. I tip my hat to 3 for being different and I wish them luck at 4pm. It may take a while, but they have to keep going and make a name for themselves doing things different.

For the purpose it serves, the show is fine. It's never going to compete with 6 or 10 nor do I think that's their intention. They wanted a feature rich show that covers the headlines and weather and the rest of the show, long form C and D block material.

I'm sure they'd be perfectly content with beating Judge Judy by the February book.

• Like 2

Here's the debut edition of the 4pm news. It appears that Ukee left the program after the first block, and Jessica only appeared to deliver headlines at the bottom of the hour. Kate Bilo provided a weather hit in that same A-block, while Lauren Casey delivered the 2 full forecasts.

Just watched the first newscast posted. Here are my takeaways:

-I like the effort and intended purpose of the newscast, but the execution seems off. You can tell that they were going for a lighter feel with "all the information that you'll need" but there were just way too many people coming in and out of the newscast, with Ukee in the first block, and Jessica in the 2nd half hour, just to recap the headline. Natasha and Alexandria (I know Natasha is) are both more than capable of handling the news.

-Part of the execution is if they are going with the lighter feel with information overload newscast, then I'm sending sports (with the Eagles) and HealthWatch are going to be major components of the newscast. Why not integrate Don and Stephanie in the newscast itself... Part of the reason (besides ratings) why 10's All That & More with Tracy back in 2006 did not work out was the program had a purpose when Cherie Bank was integrated with health news. But I think that was around the time she had her medical condition began to affect her too.

-That's too much having Ukee and Jessica popping in the 4 PM newscast when they do 5, 6, 10, and 11 PM newscasts.

-Is it just me or am I hearing them refer to the program as CBS3@4? Do they not want the program to have the Eyewitness News brand?

-6 has had the 4 PM Newscast for 7 years now and I think they've perfected the balance between hard and soft news by now. 10 has been going hard news at 4 (especially with 20 minutes non-stop A Block) for at least 5 years now. With CBS3@4, I expect both to follow this... "you do you"

• Like 3

Just watched the first newscast posted. Here are my takeaways:

-I like the effort and intended purpose of the newscast, but the execution seems off. You can tell that they were going for a lighter feel with "all the information that you'll need" but there were just way too many people coming in and out of the newscast, with Ukee in the first block, and Jessica in the 2nd half hour, just to recap the headline. Natasha and Alexandria (I know Natasha is) are both more than capable of handling the news.

-Part of the execution is if they are going with the lighter feel with information overload newscast, then I'm sending sports (with the Eagles) and HealthWatch are going to be major components of the newscast. Why not integrate Don and Stephanie in the newscast itself... Part of the reason (besides ratings) why 10's All That & More with Tracy back in 2006 did not work out was the program had a purpose when Cherie Bank was integrated with health news. But I think that was around the time she had her medical condition began to affect her too.

-That's too much having Ukee and Jessica popping in the 4 PM newscast when they do 5, 6, 10, and 11 PM newscasts.

-Is it just me or am I hearing them refer to the program as CBS3@4? Do they not want the program to have the Eyewitness News brand?

-6 has had the 4 PM Newscast for 7 years now and I think they've perfected the balance between hard and soft news by now. 10 has been going hard news at 4 (especially with 20 minutes non-stop A Block) for at least 5 years now. With CBS3@4, I expect both to follow this... "you do you"

WCAU has actually had 4pm news since the late '90s.

• Like 5

WCAU has actually had 4pm news since the late '90s.

Yes, but the tone has changed several times, and the newscast was technically cancelled for awhile in order to do "All That and More". It's only in the last few years that 10 has been doing very hard news at 4.

• Like 1

Yes, but the tone has changed several times, and the newscast was technically cancelled for awhile in order to do "All That and More". It's only in the last few years that 10 has been doing very hard news at 4.

Got ya. I remember that they did change it but it was a failure quickly.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Behind a paywall but FTVlive is reporting that main anchor Jessica Dean is leaving the station and an announcement could be as soon as today.

If so, I hope this was her decision. She is one of few there that actually does a good job.

Jessica is in for Alexandra at 4pm today and Natasha is in for Ukee at 5pm.

• Like 1

CBS 3 is in serious trouble right now. One of their lead anchors is leaving. That has to be a big blow for the station and the employees.I don't know if CBS 3 can get anyone from the outside to replace Jessica. Probably everyone knows about the many issues the station has and probably don't want to leave a market and move to Philly work at CBS3. they may have to promote someone from within the news team.

^^ I did like her. She did have a sweet, bubbly personality on-air but was also great at anchoring the serious pieces and balancing both. I'll miss her here in Philly, but I think she'll be a great addition wherever she'll go next.

--

Natasha is certainly capable. She should have gotten the position years ago anyway.

Agree. I've liked her anchoring and reporting ever since she fronted Wake Up News on WPSG back in the day.