The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

And it won't shock me if CBS decides to suspended or cease news operations at the station. CBS shouldn't be spending money on a news operation that's in last place.

Highly doubt that will happen in a Top 10 Market. This is not Detroit.

Besides ... the News watch, never stops! Wait. That’s on the radio side. Lol

—Matt

• Like 5

4pm news returning to CBS3. Staffing from within. Their product is already not that great, and now they’re expanding it?!

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/7/26/adding-more-news-in-philly

I assume Dr. Phil moves to 3pm, and Family Feud moves to 57 or off the schedule.

Also in that FTVLive link, the upcoming departure of morning traffic reporter Meisha Johnson. It's like Sheena Parveen all over again. ;)

4pm news returning to CBS3. Staffing from within. Their product is already not that great, and now they’re expanding it?!

I assume Dr. Phil moves to 3pm, and Family Feud moves to 57 or off the schedule.

That's weird--I know the good doctor is a bright point in their afternoon schedule, but I was under the impression the Feud was also performing respectably.

A piece of me thinks they should move it to 7 and banish Inside Edition.

That's weird--I know the good doctor is a bright point in their afternoon schedule, but I was under the impression the Feud was also performing respectably.

A piece of me thinks they should move it to 7 and banish Inside Edition.

They could also move The Doctors out of the 9am slot and over to 57.

• Like 1

And it won't shock me if CBS decides to suspended or cease news operations at the station. CBS shouldn't be spending money on a news operation that's in last place.

No offense, but this is one of the dumbest posts I’ve read here in a long time. CBS isn’t going to suspend KYW’s news operations because their ratings are low. By this logic, they would have to suspend news operations at stations like WBBM, WFOR and KCBS.

• Like 1

Looking further, it appears that Dr. Phil is indeed moving to 3pm with Family Feud moving off CBS3.

I wonder if other CBS O&Os will follow suit.

I think it would be hard for a station like WCBS, because they have a very successful Judge Judy in addition to Dr. Phil, something KYW doesn’t have.

• Like 2

There is no logic behind this , 6 and 10 will crush them in the ratings .

• Like 4

1) Local newscasts are cheap to put on, especially if you are adding time to an existing show.

2) The station gets all of the ad revenue with news. They wouldn’t with a syndicated show.

• Like 1

1) Local newscasts are cheap to put on, especially if you are adding time to an existing show.

2) The station gets all of the ad revenue with news. They wouldn’t with a syndicated show.

Yeah. That's the reasoning for this. Does it make sense by that reasoning? Yes.

Does that mean it's a great idea? Probably not. There's something to be said for quality over quantity, and 3 isn't exactly putting out a quality product at the moment.

• Like 1

Yeah. That's the reasoning for this. Does it make sense by that reasoning? Yes.

Does that mean it's a great idea? Probably not. There's something to be said for quality over quantity, and 3 isn't exactly putting out a quality product at the moment.

Then why spend money on a newscast that 6 and 10 will dominate the 4 PM ratings for news? CBS 3 should have not bothered doing this.

• Like 1

KYW must have something different planned with this newscast. I think, knowing them, it'll be focused on light-hearted stories with some social media thrown in. They'll obviously do serious news, but they'll try to be different with more light-hearted fare and positive, uplifting stories. I'm willing to give them a chance and I'll be willing to check it out. If I don't like it, I'll go back to 6.

• Like 3

That promo looked more like it was for a lifestyle show than it was for a newscast. I think that's where channel 3 goes wrong. I've found that while Philadelphians like relatable news personalities, at the end of the day they still want a decent straight newscast.

• Like 3

The hosts for the 4pm show are Ukee Washington, Jessica Dean, Natasha Brown, and Alexandria Hoff for a "different take on news" Ukee and Jessica now do 4,5,6,10, and 11

Figured Natasha was in the mix as Joe Holden anchored yesterday and I don’t believe he said he was in for her. Highly disappointed that they’re using the same anchor team for all the shows.

Who is the weekend morning anchor now?

• Like 4

Figured Natasha was in the mix as Joe Holden anchored yesterday and I don’t believe he said he was in for her. Highly disappointed that they’re using the same anchor team for all the shows.

Who is the weekend morning anchor now?

It's Jan Carabeo, who I think does a great job. She's grown on me. As for weekend evenings, now that Natasha is doing the 4pm show, who knows? I'd like to see Joe Holden get it. I've seem him fill in and he does a great job. I'm glad to see Natasha finally get a weekday anchor slot. She's such a great journalist.

Here's the debut edition of the 4pm news. It appears that Ukee left the program after the first block, and Jessica only appeared to deliver headlines at the bottom of the hour. Kate Bilo provided a weather hit in that same A-block, while Lauren Casey delivered the 2 full forecasts.

Here's the debut edition of the 4pm news. It appears that Ukee left the program after the first block, and Jessica only appeared to deliver headlines at the bottom of the hour. Kate Bilo provided a weather hit in that same A-block, while Lauren Casey delivered the 2 full forecasts.

I thought it was pretty interesting. Definitely is different than other Philly newscasts. It has a 'Good Day Philadelphia' feel with them sitting around the couch. I like that they show a lot of behind the scenes cameras, like the newsroom and control room.

I think it's unnecessary to have Ukee and Kate on there. They should leave Ukee and Kate with the 5, 10 and 11 and just let Lauren, Natasha and Alexandria do the 4. Feels like there's too many people on one show.

• Like 2

6 folks in one newscast? Jeez. Its Good Day Philadelphia in the afternoon! At max, WPVI only uses 4 in the morning and in the afternoon (when airing traffic segments).

7 if you count Jessica's pop-in in the 2nd half hour for a headlines read.

• Like 1