The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

• 2 months later...

New job posting for a meteorologist at CBS. I'm guessing Chelsea Ingram is gone since she mostly filled in on the weekends while Lauren Casey filled in for Bilo on maternity leave. https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=ddf43b1f7c7e0fbc&q=Meteorologist&l=Philadelphia,+PA&tk=1bq12rrn12sskfmt&from=ja&alid=5757aca1e4b0bd249c85c9dd&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts&rgtk=1bq12rrn12sskfmt

New job posting for a meteorologist at CBS. I'm guessing Chelsea Ingram is gone since she mostly filled in on the weekends while Lauren Casey filled in for Bilo on maternity leave. https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=ddf43b1f7c7e0fbc&q=Meteorologist&l=Philadelphia,+PA&tk=1bq12rrn12sskfmt&from=ja&alid=5757aca1e4b0bd249c85c9dd&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts&rgtk=1bq12rrn12sskfmt

I figured Chelsea might be gone anyway since Kate Bilo is back and Lauren's returning to weekends. I'm not sure what the new job posting is for.

• 7 months later...

CBS 3 broke into Family Feud at around 3:10pm for a news conference from the NTSB about the emergency plane landing. The odd part about this is Jim Donovan was anchoring the coverage. Makes me wonder when do Ukee and Jessica come in? It makes no sense that the morning crew should be there that late (I would think 1:30pm would be the cutoff). Goes to show how lean they are on anchor talent.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
Look for radical changes coming to the AM show at CBS3. Early look at May book... they finished dead last in every half hour period.

That’s not good! They revamped the morning show two years ago by adding Donovan. Then they replaced Brooke Thomas after six months. Wonder what drastic changes they would make this time around?

• Like 2

Probably time to pull the plug on so many of the changes they have made in recent years. It is time (and has been time for awhile) to send WCCO back and put some Philly back into our news. Jim & Rahel need to go and Ukee is much better in the morning than as the evening anchor. Ukee is great - Ukee is Philly - but he doesn't live up to the "Camelot years" heritage of this once great station. Simply put - I want my KYW back.

• Like 1

Probably time to pull the plug on so many of the changes they have made in recent years. It is time (and has been time for awhile) to send WCCO back and put some Philly back into our news. Jim & Rahel need to go and Ukee is much better in the morning than as the evening anchor. Ukee is great - Ukee is Philly - but he doesn't live up to the "Camelot years" heritage of this once great station. Simply put - I want my KYW back.

I agree. CBS 3 is has not improved at all.

Kyw needs a wcbs style massacre to change the station

They need changes but in hindsight, did the 96 massacre really worked or it was just another time for them to coast until they find another solution? Like most stations know their weaknesses/time slots. What could they do to bring viewers to watch them at this point? Channel 6 is still number one and 10 is a solid runner up!

They need changes but in hindsight, did the 96 massacre really worked or it was just another time for them to coast until they find another solution? Like most stations know their weaknesses/time slots. What could they do to bring viewers to watch them at this point? Channel 6 is still number one and 10 is a solid runner up!

That’s what 3 doesn’t understand about this market right now. There’s no room for nonsense fluff pieces. 10 got better of an investment in hard news, not crap.

• Like 6

That’s what 3 doesn’t understand about this market right now. There’s no room for nonsense fluff pieces. 10 got better of an investment in hard news, not crap.

I always thought that if KYW did a straight forward TV-version of KYW NewsRadio1060 it might just work in Philly. And with CBS News emphasizing "Original Reporting" now may be the time.

• Like 5

I always thought that if KYW did a straight forward TV-version of KYW NewsRadio1060 it might just work in Philly. And with CBS News emphasizing "Original Reporting" now may be the time.

They’ve gotta have the right talent in place as well. This current setup clearly isn’t working. But something like that could get people watching if done right.

They’ve gotta have the right talent in place as well. This current setup clearly isn’t working. But something like that could get people watching if done right.

Original Reporting takes Original Reporters NOT news readers - which is the best I can say for the current crew.

• Like 2

See the "The News Tonight" era. That's basically what they were going for back then and it bombed miserably.

• Like 2

See the "The News Tonight" era. That's basically what they were going for back then and it bombed miserably.

Oh!! I remember that era/error. The complete abandonment of the venerable "Eyewitness News" history and tradition was another mistake of that time period. Despite repeated missteps that have been made over the years - there is a proud tradition at this station. By adapting to today's rapid-fire style of "Breaking News" TV journalism with a groundbreaking / torch-bearing approach should be their way to restore their leadership, success, ratings and most importantly credibility. Forging the future while respecting the past will be a huge task for whomever takes over this news operation.

But sometimes you need to look back to find the way forward - and quite possibly with the support of an amazing "KYW-Proud" alumni they can find their way.

Diane Allen – Susan Barnett- Steve Baskerville – Steve Bell – Richard Bey - Al Primo (creator of the Eyewitness News format) − Pat Ciarrocchi – Mort Crim – Mike Douglas − Tamsen Fadal – Max Gomez – Trudy Haynes − Marc Howard – Walt Hunter – Jack Jones − Larry Kane – Ernie Kovacs − Maria LaRosa – Alycia Lane – Matt Lauer – Robin Mackintosh – Larry Mendte – Andrea Mitchell – Kathy Orr - Jerry Penacoli – Malcolm Poindexter − Maury Povich – Jessica Savitch - Maria Shriver – Tom Snyder - Dick Standish - Dawn Stensland − Beverly Williams – Joe Witte – and many more.

Enough preaching and pontificating...now let's get back to some REAL NEWS.

• Like 2

We got our first real look at Philly numbers in years - it's currently posted in the NYC forum - and while there's a number of interesting takes that can be derived from that the biggest takeaway is 3's numbers.

To put it bluntly, they're awful. Particularly the morning hours, which are a very distant fourth compared to the other three stations (which are very competitive - FOX is just .1 behind WPVI at 6am, and WCAU is not far behind).

I think you have to blow it up at this point. Change anchors, change the approach, change what needs to be changed. Mornings probably have to be fixed first - the 11pm numbers are kind of decent and short of an act of God those WPVI numbers at 5 and 6 are still going to be astronomically high.

I've watched a bit of it and I have to agree - the experiment is a failure. I like some of the ideas, like Summerfest, but it makes no sense to turn the evening and late newscasts into a travelogue or an FYI Philly type show.

Something needs to be done, and quick.

• Like 4