The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

Here we go:

They're no longer using the morning cut of Enforcer for opens and there's actual city footage in the open and not some still picture composited over some stock sky animation. Also they're now IDing individual newscasts. They had gotten away from that for awhile. Big improvement for them.

Here's the morning open and KYW's traditional 5AM station ID:

Great graphics. However, this video shows two big problems with CBS3:

1. I feek like Brooke Thomas tries too hard and it doesn't seem genuine. At the 0:29 second mark, her "uhhhhh" seems forced. The sad part is, she's the better anchor of the morning pair. Don't get me started on Jim.

2. Looking at both videos, Ukee and Jim are both off. Their subs: Rahel Solomon and Nicole Brewer (who by the way are both very capable anchors in their own right). This station is lacking a male bench. Ukee is their main male anchor, and the only other male is Jim, who probably belongs on weekend mornings (and that's being gracious).

• Like 1

Great graphics. However, this video shows two big problems with CBS3:

1. I feek like Brooke Thomas tries too hard and it doesn't seem genuine. At the 0:29 second mark, her "uhhhhh" seems forced. The sad part is, she's the better anchor of the morning pair. Don't get me started on Jim.

2. Looking at both videos, Ukee and Jim are both off. Their subs: Rahel Solomon and Nicole Brewer (who by the way are both very capable anchors in their own right). This station is lacking a male bench. Ukee is their main male anchor, and the only other male is Jim, who probably belongs on weekend mornings (and that's being gracious).

Totally agree. I honestly think Joe Holden, the new reporter they got like 3 weeks ago should anchor. He filled in for Jim on Memorial Day and was great.

• Like 2

Totally agree. I honestly think Joe Holden, the new reporter they got like 3 weeks ago should anchor. He filled in for Jim on Memorial Day and was great.

I also co-sign on Joe Holden.

I like him and his certain type of serious style of reporting.

I enjoyed his filling in as anchor on Memorial Day and I think the station made the right choice there. He should fill in a lot more.

Does any one think Rahel Solomon is a good anchor?

I think she's an alright weekend anchor, but I think she hasn't gelled in the position yet and needs time to gel.

Maybe the producers could pair her with Holden and see where this goes. He needs more time at the desk and this shift is perfect for him.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the above post. Joe Holden did great anchoring and so does Rahel. I do think that Rahel needs more time to get into her groove. But, I think she had a great start and she can only get better.

What is wrong with the CBS O&O websites? They have too many ads and it freezes every 5 seconds.

That is something that has plagued them ever since they merged the radio stations in with them and went to that WordPress platform.

I saw Kyla Grogan filling in tonight. I thought she did very good filling in during Katie Fehlinger's maternity leave. I hope they keep her as a fill in meteorologist. I remember her doing traffic at WCBS, so maybe she could fill on that, as well. Either way, I hope to see more of her.

I'm in the crowd that appreciates the *idea* of Good Question, but I think the execution was more often than not too fluffy.

One of the issues I had with it was if I missed it, they would not put it on the website. Viewers would ask about that and CBS3 would reply that they wanted people to watch the actual news program and wouldn't be putting it on the website right away.

Also its more suited for the morning show or even the noon or 5PM shows. Not the 11.

Agreed - whether it be "Good Question" or "Taste with Tori" they should have been placed in the "lighter" broadcasts of mornings, noon or 5pm. 6pm and 11pm are about hard news. Reinventing local news by going soft failed once before for KYW - but for some reason we are now suffering through it again.

• Like 2

I've been watching KYW pretty much my whole life, and I enjoy it, but the lack of male talent is starting to annoy me. Not to sound sexist, but you can't have 4 women at the anchor desk at 11pm.

Tonight they had Lauren Casey, Jessica Dean, Nicole Brewer, and Lesley Van Arsdall. Even the weekend evening newscasts can't be like that. When it comes to those spots, you need to have male anchors to balance it out.

I've been watching KYW pretty much my whole life, and I enjoy it, but the lack of male talent is starting to annoy me. Not to sound sexist, but you can't have 4 women at the anchor desk at 11pm.

Tonight they had Lauren Casey, Jessica Dean, Nicole Brewer, and Lesley Van Arsdall. Even the weekend evening newscasts can't be like that. When it comes to those spots, you need to have male anchors to balance it out.

I can be the sexist one then.

I have no problem with 4 women on the 11pm desk. If they can carry the show great. People questioned the Carol LeBeau / Bree walker pairing (KGTV) in the early 80's...but those two made it happen.

It needs to be a chemistry thing, and not a thing about colors and sex(uality).

Your target is women 25-54, and they are not screaming for more sexually ambiguous metrosexual male anchors. Women like to watch women, they like to snipe, gossip, talk hair and make-up all on the blessed "social monster".

Women generate web hits. Women anchors generate more web hits.

Now if all 4 of those anchors are mutts, then sorry dude.

• Like 1

Jessica Dean scored an interview with Gov. Scott Walker tonight.

This week's newscasts have been surprisingly hard news so far for the most part. Maybe a sign of the future?

Nope - doubt it - probably just a fluke. Sometimes they can't help themselves and deliver some real news - she will probably get in trouble for it when she gets back to Philly.

• 3 weeks later...