The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

KYW 1060 has been using that signature consistently for many years...while the TV side has been on-and-off. Maybe they're hoping people remember the connection? "You listen to KYW in the car, remember to watch KYW before you head out the door!" The radio side has a strong reputation (possibly because it's the only all news station, but I digress). Its not the worst choice, basically everyone in the market will immediately recognize what those notes are.

It'll be funny if/when CBS spins off/sells the radio division and either the radio or TV station has to part ways with those call letters.

Not sure if either would have to change call letters - but after recently combining news operations and moving in together on Spring Garden it just seems off they would split them up and sell off News Radio. Especially, since 1060 - despite some ratings challenges - has the far superior product and is quite possibly the most respected news organization in Philly.

It'll be funny if/when CBS spins off/sells the radio division and either the radio or TV station has to part ways with those call letters.

I would think that they would continue to co-exist with the same call letters. Haven't others done similar things (WABC)?

• Like 1

Not sure if either would have to change call letters - but after recently combining news operations and moving in together on Spring Garden it just seems off they would split them up and sell off News Radio. Especially, since 1060 - despite some ratings challenges - has the far superior product and is quite possibly the most respected news organization in Philly.

Those CBS owned newsradio stations have always been superior in all the markets they are in. Can't seem to figure why the TV side in those markets always lagged.

That's a lot of legacy radio calls to mess with, so I would hope any spin-off or sale would want to protect those call letters.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely just saw a :05 ID running during Late Late that looks like nothing corporate at all (not even a CBS eye or the proper 3 if I recall) with the VO "Thanks for watching Channel 3."

It felt very CCO--but bolder.

Thought I'd put that out there.

• Like 1

CBS 3 is back to using their old mic flags.

That's cause the "3D" ones they had probably all broke :p

micflag_zpse24ea06c.jpg

WABC has a messed-up mic flag that's almost falling apart and they still use that.

I'm sure, had this happen, a little Krazy Glue will fix things.

Good for him making such a homecoming return. Hope he lasts long and does very well again.

Funnily enough, a few days ago I watched a TL Hughes video on the station's news opens and May was seen as an anchor for a few years (which I hadn't known about). I guess that's some type of foreshadowing in my mind.

• Like 1

I'm glad he landed somewhere but that's a big drop. I thought Shiba's drop was big from NY to ATL but Chris is way bigger. His former co anchor Jessica left KARK there for KYW and he's going there ( KATV). Either markets don't mean nothing any more or the bigger markets are not hiring them. Even Rob is going down a lot of markets but for some reason I don't see it as a demotion compare to the other two. Best of luck to him.