The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

It doesn't look bad, but the f*ck is the with the music? Ewww.

My problem is them mashing the open with the promo look and then the showing of the talent doing goofy poses. Seems like The Talk is about to start not the news.

I may sound like I'm shouting "Get off my lawn" but I'm just throwing in my two cents.

Watching the 11pm show right now - can't call it a news broadcast because so far...20 minutes in I am still waiting for news. We have had tangled earbud chords, and of course the meaning of the word "jawn" but so far no news - and now technical issues seem to be causing the video to cut in and out. What a train wreck they have become!

Watching the 11pm show right now - can't call it a news broadcast because so far...20 minutes in I am still waiting for news. We have had tangled earbud chords, and of course the meaning of the word "jawn" but so far no news - and now technical issues seem to be causing the video to cut in and out. What a train wreck they have become!

What a waste of the talents of Ukee, broadcast is not a news program it's a features program.

You do have to take into account that this broadcast was taking place immediately following the youth & music oriented Grammys broadcast. However, we are clearly seeing the birth of a banter-oriented and "optimistic" newscast on KYW (they basically say as much in recent promos for their evening newscasts). Listening to the 10pm show simulcast on 1060 last night, it felt like Kate Bilo was "wow"-ing about the weather with Ukee and Jessica for way too long instead of jumping into the forecast. Don Bell was just tossing a football around a Florida beach with some kids while Ukee and Jessica hrrumph-ed about the gorgeous weather there.

They're aiming for a niche they seem to be developing themselves. NBC10 has jumped full on into hard news investigating and reporting if that's what you're looking for. 6 is still the local "gold standard" for a well-rounded newscast. And FOX29 is... also on option.

It will definitely be interesting to see how long this lasts.

You do have to take into account that this broadcast was taking place immediately following the youth & music oriented Grammys broadcast. However, we are clearly seeing the birth of a banter-oriented and "optimistic" newscast on KYW (they basically say as much in recent promos for their evening newscasts). Listening to the 10pm show simulcast on 1060 last night, it felt like Kate Bilo was "wow"-ing about the weather with Ukee and Jessica for way too long instead of jumping into the forecast. Don Bell was just tossing a football around a Florida beach with some kids while Ukee and Jessica hrrumph-ed about the gorgeous weather there.

They're aiming for a niche they seem to be developing themselves. NBC10 has jumped full on into hard news investigating and reporting if that's what you're looking for. 6 is still the local "gold standard" for a well-rounded newscast. And FOX29 is... also on option.

It will definitely be interesting to see how long this lasts.

NBC10 should really be in 1st place in this market. You guys are bashing on KYW for there light approach to news. Let's not forget Brien Kennedy, President/GM of 3 is using the same approach he used at WCCO, which he was very successful in doing. And what's being said about them having no serious news at all isn't true. They will be serious about breaking news when that comes. Channel 6 isn't all it's said to be by the people. While they do have good people in their anchor lineups, they started the light news before anyone else in Philadelphia. Their hashtags, they even have an online store. They have a huge presence on Social Media, and people like Alicia Vitarelli can't even handle a real news situation. 99.99999(and so on...)% of the stuff she reports on is lifestyle and light-hearted stories. You don't even know how many times she's used her child on TV during segments. When she anchors, it looks like she smiles during most of the stories she reads. She's not the only one there who does this. 6 has their theme song and people like Jim Gardner to back them up. Their Graphics are messed up as well. And FOX 29.....well their product is way inferior to FOX5 in NY which has taken the CBS3 approach, but also knows when to get serious. NBC10 has no veterans however, and the team they have hasn't been around long in this market. Their investigations are what brings the hard news aspect. Other than that, it's your regular run of the mill newscast. Their First Alert Weather was stolen from their sis WVIT. And do you really need SkyForce10, StormForce10, and IceForce10? Plus, do you need the mentioning of your partnership with Telemundo 62? WNBC makes almost no mention, it's like they never were partners. Yea, so it isn't just 3 with tricks up their sleeves. Everyone has their own nonsense they create.

NBC10 should really be in 1st place in this market. You guys are bashing on KYW for there light approach to news. Let's not forget Brien Kennedy, President/GM of 3 is using the same approach he used at WCCO, which he was very successful in doing. And what's being said about them having no serious news at all isn't true. They will be serious about breaking news when that comes.

First off I hate run-on paragraphs. Take a breath geez. Secondly on your first point, just because that format worked in Minneapolis doesn't mean it'll work here. It's been proven time after time that it's been attempted (many of those attempts by this very station) that it doesn't work. Anyone remember The News Tonight? Or WCAU 2006-2011? Both ran feature heavy newscasts that provided very little in hard news content and both formats tanked as a result. This market gravitates more towards newscasts that report on what's going on in the area, good/bad/indifferent and tells them how it affects them. That's what WPVI has capitalized on for years and that leads me to this...

Channel 6 isn't all it's said to be by the people. While they do have good people in their anchor lineups, they started the light news before anyone else in Philadelphia. Their hashtags, they even have an online store. They have a huge presence on Social Media, and people like Alicia Vitarelli can't even handle a real news situation. 99.99999(and so on...)% of the stuff she reports on is lifestyle and light-hearted stories. You don't even know how many times she's used her child on TV during segments. When she anchors, it looks like she smiles during most of the stories she reads. She's not the only one there who does this. 6 has their theme song and people like Jim Gardner to back them up. Their Graphics are messed up as well.

While I generally agree with your sentiment here, there's a reason they've only one newscast in one sweeps period in 40 years. Yes, while they have thrown the kitchen sink at their presentation over the recent years with all the technology they've blown money on, their content really hasn't changed at all. They know that viewing habits die hard and they take advantage of it. They also don't jar viewers with big changes (sadly this isn't a town known for embracing change). When they do make a big change it's usually ushered in slowly.

That all said, I hate their crappy hashtags, horrible graphics, incredibly obnoxious in-show spots (the damned news ticker is sponsored and the plug runs during the ticker loop) and the dumb sponsor plug that runs during the close. For a station that takes pride in its classic theme music, one would think they wouldn't do anything that would stomp all over it. Also if the station generates so much revenue to sustain itself why do they feel the need to litter their newscasts with sponsorship plugs?

And FOX 29.....well their product is way inferior to FOX5 in NY which has taken the CBS3 approach, but also knows when to get serious.

Say what you want about 29 but they do run a clean straight forward newscast.Yeah Good Day isn't for everyone but it does what it does well and routinely beats the national morning shows. Hell it chased the CW newscast off the air. You also have to keep in mind 29 is just now recovering from the blood-letting that saw a great news team get dismantled piece by piece and even then. They went from Dawn Stensland and Dave Huddleston to Thomas freakin' Drayton and a format that basically was a FNC-lite interview show. All that said they managed to grow the product from just Good Day and the 10 O'Clock News, to a full news product.

NBC10 has no veterans however, and the team they have hasn't been around long in this market.

Tracy Davidson, Vai Sikehema, Glenn Schwartz, Bill Henley, Doug Shimell, Denise Nakano and Harry Hairston would disagree. Also a lot of their anchors and reporters are from Philly so your "haven't been around long in this market" statement is silly.

Their investigations are what brings the hard news aspect. Other than that, it's your regular run of the mill newscast.

So reporting on the news of the day is boring to you? I think there's not enough stations doing just that. Report on the news of the day without having to resort to fluffing it up and hashtag this and that. I think does a better job in presenting the most information on a story than anyone else cause they aren't focused on the other crap.

Their First Alert Weather was stolen from their sis WVIT.

Actually they were the first NBC O&O to adopt "First Alert" but the branding was started at a Raycom station (call letters escape me at the moment) and they still hold the trademark today, meaning any station that wants to use the branding needs to license it. I'm pretty sure if 10 had their druthers, they wouldn't have let the EarthWatch branding go away but the trademark holders for that stopped licensing it so it went away.

And do you really need SkyForce10, StormForce10, and IceForce10?

Why not? It's clever branding for their special newsgathering equipment. And IceForce10 is a Zamboni machine for the Riverrink in which they are the media partner.

Plus, do you need the mentioning of your partnership with Telemundo 62? WNBC makes almost no mention, it's like they never were partners.

Not sure I follow what you're asking about here. The difference between WCAU and WWSI vs WNBC and WNJU is apples and oranges. WCAU and WWSI is a combined newsroom operation while WNBC and WNJU are based in two different states. If you're talking about WCAU and WNBC partnering, they partner in a lot of things especially where their territories overlap in central Jersey and the shore. They even give their Jersey based reporters their mic flags so they can file stories for both stations.

Yea, so it isn't just 3 with tricks up their sleeves. Everyone has their own nonsense they create.

And my point is it seems like 3's tricks are more throwing shit on the wall and hoping it sticks while the other stations actually do things with a purpose.

• Like 5

First off I hate run-on paragraphs. Take a breath geez. Secondly on your first point, just because that format worked in Minneapolis doesn't mean it'll work here. It's been proven time after time that it's been attempted (many of those attempts by this very station) that it doesn't work. Anyone remember The News Tonight? Or WCAU 2006-2011? Both ran feature heavy newscasts that provided very little in hard news content and both formats tanked as a result. This market gravitates more towards newscasts that report on what's going on in the area, good/bad/indifferent and tells them how it affects them. That's what WPVI has capitalized on for years and that leads me to this...

While I generally agree with your sentiment here, there's a reason they've only one newscast in one sweeps period in 40 years. Yes, while they have thrown the kitchen sink at their presentation over the recent years with all the technology they've blown money on, their content really hasn't changed at all. They know that viewing habits die hard and they take advantage of it. They also don't jar viewers with big changes (sadly this isn't a town known for embracing change). When they do make a big change it's usually ushered in slowly.

That all said, I hate their crappy hashtags, horrible graphics, incredibly obnoxious in-show spots (the damned news ticker is sponsored and the plug runs during the ticker loop) and the dumb sponsor plug that runs during the close. For a station that takes pride in its classic theme music, one would think they wouldn't do anything that would stomp all over it. Also if the station generates so much revenue to sustain itself why do they feel the need to litter their newscasts with sponsorship plugs?

Say what you want about 29 but they do run a clean straight forward newscast.Yeah Good Day isn't for everyone but it does what it does well and routinely beats the national morning shows. Hell it chased the CW newscast off the air. You also have to keep in mind 29 is just now recovering from the blood-letting that saw a great news team get dismantled piece by piece and even then. They went from Dawn Stensland and Dave Huddleston to Thomas freakin' Drayton and a format that basically was a FNC-lite interview show. All that said they managed to grow the product from just Good Day and the 10 O'Clock News, to a full news product.

Tracy Davidson, Vai Sikehema, Glenn Schwartz, Bill Henley, Doug Shimell, Denise Nakano and Harry Hairston would disagree. Also a lot of their anchors and reporters are from Philly so your "haven't been around long in this market" statement is silly.

So reporting on the news of the day is boring to you? I think there's not enough stations doing just that. Report on the news of the day without having to resort to fluffing it up and hashtag this and that. I think does a better job in presenting the most information on a story than anyone else cause they aren't focused on the other crap.

Actually they were the first NBC O&O to adopt "First Alert" but the branding was started at a Raycom station (call letters escape me at the moment) and they still hold the trademark today, meaning any station that wants to use the branding needs to license it. I'm pretty sure if 10 had their druthers, they wouldn't have let the EarthWatch branding go away but the trademark holders for that stopped licensing it so it went away.

Why not? It's clever branding for their special newsgathering equipment. And IceForce10 is a Zamboni machine for the Riverrink in which they are the media partner.

Not sure I follow what you're asking about here. The difference between WCAU and WWSI vs WNBC and WNJU is apples and oranges. WCAU and WWSI is a combined newsroom operation while WNBC and WNJU are based in two different states. If you're talking about WCAU and WNBC partnering, they partner in a lot of things especially where their territories overlap in central Jersey and the shore. They even give their Jersey based reporters their mic flags so they can file stories for both stations.

Yea, so it isn't just 3 with tricks up their sleeves. Everyone has their own nonsense they create.

And my point is it seems like 3's tricks are more throwing shit on the wall and hoping it sticks while the other stations actually do things with a purpose.

I do agree with everything you just said. Thank you for that. However, I was referring to the evening team with Jim and Jacqueline on NBC10 when talking about the veterans. And I never said reporting on the news of the day was boring. I want to see more of that too. However 10 does some of those lighter news stories on a daily basis, but not as much as other stations. FOX29 did have a good team, but for me, now with the 16:9 full screen AFD technology format, I really have a hard time watching them, even though their product is good. And on my first point, does Brien know this market yet? That's why I'm giving him a break. If he stays long enough, he'll know and give a

competitive product.

[That all said, I hate their crappy hashtags, horrible graphics, incredibly obnoxious in-show spots (the damned news ticker is sponsored and the plug runs during the ticker loop) and the dumb sponsor plug that runs during the close. For a station that takes pride in its classic theme music, one would think they wouldn't do anything that would stomp all over it. Also if the station generates so much revenue to sustain itself why do they feel the need to litter their newscasts with sponsorship plugs?]

WOW! You struck a nerve so I had to respond! I was just thinking the other day how "over it" I am with the self-promotion of the ABC prime-time block during the 5p news on Channel 6! So much so, that I tweeted Rick, Sharrie (subbing that night for Monica) & 6abc that "self-promotion of ABC programming doesn't belong in my action newscast!" Rick actually responded--thanking me for "my valuable opinion" (yeah, right). Sharrie responded "guess we have to pay the bills, LOL"! Of course, no response from 6abc.

My point of tweeting was in hopes they get enough complaints to reconsider...to STOP! I feel strongly that promoting network prime-time doesn't belong in a newscast complete with a 30 second video clip of the show. Ugh! It gives me reason to turn the channel.

Who knows if it will stop or if they really even care what the viewer thinks. I say that because I found them to be smug dealing with them during my Metro Traffic producing days. The ole attitude "we've been #1 so long around here that we know it all and no one's opinion really matters!" But I agree, their graphics suck and the sponsor run at the end of the newscast is annoying...

• Like 1

I kind of disagree about the sponsor tag. While I have to agree that it is tacky, it's really the only way at this point that we're gonna hear a good chunk of the theme at the end. Every other station rushes their close more than 6 tends to.

• Like 1

If I can defend 6abc here for a second, alot of what 6abc does (self-promotion of ABC programming for example) is being forced on them from the big mouse. The same with the feature stories that look like sponsored content cause it ends up being about star wars or someother Disney product or abc show.

Disney/ABC O&O is doing it's best to kill the action news brand. Almost everychange the station has had from gimmicky toys like chopper 6 360, to overly sponsored is because of those people in NY, not the news director/producers at 6abc.

As for Alicia Vitarelli, couldn't agree more. The woman must think she's a host on entertainment tonight the way she talks too "coming up we're gonna dish about what happened lastnight on the bachelor" I can't stand how she always uses the word dish during her teases.

Wow! A lot of opinions here in the last few days. It's clear at least those here like real news - not the flashy, fluffy stuff we are getting from WCCO - oops KYW. The mention of "The News Tonight" does bring back bad memories of when Eyewitness News abandoned the "Eyewitness". Although, this time around they seemingly abandoned the "News" part instead.

If it weren't for the monumental history of KYW ( the Camelot Years and beyond as well as the mighty powerhouse that is KYW Newsradio) it might not bother me so much when an outsider comes to town and brings his Minnesota ideas here and thinks it will work. I always believed in evaluating your audience first before forcing your own ideas on them. Instead, we once again have to suffer through trial and error until eventually the venerable EYEWITNESS NEWS re-emerges and the winds of change blow back to Minnesota.

So for now we get - "No News Tonight" with Ukee & Jess & Kate & Don & Vittoria/Tori & Nicole - hopefully when I awake it will all have been a bad dream.

• Like 2

Alicia is today's answer to Don Polec. I've never minded either, although I know a few people who have minded. I believe that both add(ed) a different dimension to the news program. They are/were another piece of the puzzle that counteracted 6's "hard news" approach. It gives a nice break between 5:30 and 6, between local news and national news, or a nice transition from news to late night. But then there is also sweeps.

Frankly, where the nearest fire or gun battle occurred doesn't impact my life; Snow coverage is depressing. Traffic reports are usual reported on too late or incidents have cleared by the time I finished a news-advised detour. I feel politics can be better covered on the internet, radio and cable, sans the drama. I'd rather hear about the latest news and developments of the local areas, which is why I prefer WFMZ and WMGM when I lived in NJ.

I disagree about hash tags being a stunt. The use of them in general may or may not be a fad, but it's a new addition to commuting on the 'net and no more of a gimmick than station's employing and plugging their websites.

I do agree about the annoyance of plugging primetime. However, 6 has done that since at least the days of Capital Cities. If it's at the end of the 5:30, I didn't mind, but it doesn't belong anytime before 5:45.

• Like 2

Alicia is today's answer to Don Polec. I've never minded either, although I know a few people who have minded. I believe that both add(ed) a different dimension to the news program. They are/were another piece of the puzzle that counteracted 6's "hard news" approach. It gives a nice break between 5:30 and 6, between local news and national news, or a nice transition from news to late night. But then there is also sweeps.

Frankly, where the nearest fire or gun battle occurred doesn't impact my life; Snow coverage is depressing. Traffic reports are usual reported on too late or incidents have cleared by the time I finished a news-advised detour. I feel politics can be better covered on the internet, radio and cable, sans the drama. I'd rather hear about the latest news and developments of the local areas, which is why I prefer WFMZ and WMGM when I lived in NJ.

I disagree about hash tags being a stunt. The use of them in general may or may not be a fad, but it's a new addition to commuting on the 'net and no more of a gimmick than station's employing and plugging their websites.

I do agree about the annoyance of plugging primetime. However, 6 has done that since at least the days of Capital Cities. If it's at the end of the 5:30, I didn't mind, but it doesn't belong anytime before 5:45.

Alicia's on throughout the 4pm hour. I don't believe she appears at all during the 5pm hour.

Yes everystation does and has always plugged their primetime lineup, but it's so much worse on 6 now. For example yesterday's noon newscast had Rick promoting TGIT (thank god it's Thursday lineup) with descriptive preview of whats gonna happen, while video was shown. Then later in the broadcast Alicia came on at the big board to do one of her big talkers. Guess what that 5 minute segment was spent doing? Not only promoting TGIT, but recapping lastweek's episode incase you missed it. Yes 3 minutes was spent doing like a previously on... cold open to a show for each of the 3 shows airing that night, followed by teases for what might happen tonight.

The only other time Alicia was on the program was early to give a tease about her coming on to talk about TGIT, and to promote what they will be talking about at 4:00. So unlike Don Polec, Alicia's job seems to be 90% promoting other programming on 6.

New York stations are doing the same thing with plugging their primetime lineup. It's nothing new.

But, I split my viewing time between WABC and WPVI. It seems to be an O & O mandate.

Local news in Philly really has changed. NBC10 does a very good hard/breaking news product, with enough features to balance it out. And, they do have some well known names in the market. PVI is still Jim Gardner and the theme song, but they are slipping. CBS3 is trying. I like the team, but the content is off the mark. Fox29 and Fox 5 are actually the freshest things going on in the morning.

New York stations are doing the same thing with plugging their primetime lineup. It's nothing new.

But, I split my viewing time between WABC and WPVI. It seems to be an O & O mandate.

Local news in Philly really has changed. NBC10 does a very good hard/breaking news product, with enough features to balance it out. And, they do have some well known names in the market. PVI is still Jim Gardner and the theme song, but they are slipping. CBS3 is trying. I like the team, but the content is off the mark. Fox29 and Fox 5 are actually the freshest things going on in the morning.

I agree with the comments about WCAU's newly re-discovered depth in hard news reporting, as well as the talent - the unfortunate situation surrounding their lead anchor (Renee Chenault-Fattah) has left a visible hole in the team. The Fox 5 AM team starts each day off with KYW alumni Ben Simmoneau - But Kelly & Scotto truly make that show. KYW's current team is pretty enough, even personable - but lack the talent necessary to truly be a force in a market this large or this historically news-driven. Jessica Dean is no Jessica Savitch. Ukee Washington - although a great local celeb full of personality - is no Mort Crim, Vince Leonard not Tom Snyder. When history is written KYW will be known for these legends - as well as Maria Shriver, Maury Povich, Larry Kane and so many others. The current "No New Tonight" regime will be a side note along side "The News Tonight". Even Extra's Jerry Penacoli will rate higher than Tori & Meisha.

I would agree --- NBC10 has to resolve the Renee Chenault-Fattah issue. Otherwise, it's the better station for in depth hard news coverage.

Is it possible that she is benched until her husband's case is resolved or until the feds get their ducks in a row regarding her and nbc was told to wait until we do something?

• Like 1