The CBS 3 Eyewitness News Thread

Jess

Good move for Ukee. Well deserved! I'm surprised they kept Dean. A Ukee and Natasha Brown paring would have been really good in my opinion. Kate Bilo was the best choice of the remaining weather people there. And since Carol is leaving, we'll see how quickly they'll hire 2 meteorologists. The sports department, it would be nice to see LVA get the Sports Director job. Would they try and pull talent from WIP to help fill in the sports roster?

Ukee's moving to nighttime and other changes. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/292945081.html

More changes at CBS3, which on Tuesday let go of three of its biggest on-air names: anchor Chris May, chief meteorologist Kathy Orr and sports director Beasley Reece.

Starting July 13, longtime morning anchor Ukee Washington will replace May as co-anchor, with Jessica Dean, of the 5, 6, and 11 p.m. newscasts on CBS3 and the 10 p.m. newscast on CW57, a station spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Kate Bilo will replace Kathy Orr as chief meteorologists on those newscasts, with Katie Fehlinger taking over Bilo’s duties on the noon show.

Meteorologist Carol Erickson, who has been with the station on and off since 1978, was offered a new contract but has decided to leave to, in her words, “focus on my commitment to animal welfare in the region.”

No word on replacement for Reece.

Now this is a better move!

I like the Ukee move to evenings. However, him, Jessica (who I'm glad they kept), should have done the 5pm, 10pm, and 11pm only. Pat Ciarrochi and a new male anchor should get the noon and 6pm, and another male anchor and Erika should do mornings.

As for the weather situation, since Carol's walking, they should've kept Kathy, moved Kate back to mornings and noon, Katie to weekend evenings, and Justin to weekend mornings. Nonetheless, I'm sure Kathy will land in a good place.

Wow what a shake up.

The Good

-Removing Chris May as the top anchor.

I always felt he was a weekend anchor at best. With that inmind CBS is lacking in in depth, so keeping him for weekends or repoerting might've been a better move then firing him.

-Promoting Ukee Washington

Not much else to say here. Only downside is he will be a major lose for the AM show. I wonder if they will go all female in the mornings, and have Nicole Brewer take his spot? I say that only because whenever Washington was on vacation, or filling in for Chris May, Brewer seemed to the the goto fill in during AM.

-Firing Beasley Reece

Never liked the guy to begin with, and seemed like he was never happy havning to be at work.

The Bad

-Firing Kathy Orr

She's one of the most popular meteorologists in the area, and I can only think they fired either because she had a high contract and/or cause of her age. Some like Kate Bilo being promoted to top meteorologist, but remember CBS 3 about 2 or 3yrs ago basically made her the de facto Cheif meteorologist when they cut Orr from several of the evening broadcasts, and stuck Bilo in. It failed, and Orr got all her onair time back.

Oh well CBS3's loss, will be another stations gain. I think Eskin is friends with her, cause I remember back in his dailoy WIP days Orr would sometimes call in. So I guess she has someone who can put in a good word for her at 29.

Wow what a shake up.

The Good

-Removing Chris May as the top anchor.

I always felt he was a weekend anchor at best. With that inmind CBS is lacking in in depth, so keeping him for weekends or repoerting might've been a better move then firing him.

-Promoting Ukee Washington

Not much else to say here. Only downside is he will be a major lose for the AM show. I wonder if they will go all female in the mornings, and have Nicole Brewer take his spot? I say that only because whenever Washington was on vacation, or filling in for Chris May, Brewer seemed to the the goto fill in during AM.

-Firing Beasley Reece

Never liked the guy to begin with, and seemed like he was never happy havning to be at work.

The Bad

-Firing Kathy Orr

She's one of the most popular meteorologists in the area, and I can only think they fired either because she had a high contract and/or cause of her age. Some like Kate Bilo being promoted to top meteorologist, but remember CBS 3 about 2 or 3yrs ago basically made her the de facto Cheif meteorologist when they cut Orr from several of the evening broadcasts, and stuck Bilo in. It failed, and Orr got all her onair time back.

Oh well CBS3's loss, will be another stations gain. I think Eskin is friends with her, cause I remember back in his dailoy WIP days Orr would sometimes call in. So I guess she has someone who can put in a good word for her at 29.

Regarding Chris, he probably would've walked then take a demotion.

Regarding Kathy, if I recall, it was supposedly her decision to cut her workload when her newscasts were cut in half. But I think it had more to do with WCBS pushing Katie Fehlinger onto KYW, so KYW had to make room for her. It didn't work out too well and that's why Kathy was brought back to early evenings.

I also read that Kate Bilo had offers to go elsewhere. Interesting....

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/07/kathy_orr_fired_tv_station_syracuse.html

Some more interesting news. Supposedly WPVI was after Kathy Orr too when she left 10! And according to her sister, Kathy was in meetings with upper management Friday and that it was her decision to leave.

. Supposedly WPVI was after Kathy Orr too when she left 10!

How interesting. I thought 6 had a policy of not grabbing up people from competing stations!

12 years ago seems to be about the time that Dave Roberts decided to scale back and Cecily Tynan went from mornings to nights...at the same time that Sally Ann Mosey seemed to disappear. I always liked her.

The new Eyewitness News at Noon is much better than "Talk Philly". They are actually doing good interviews and Ukee, Pat, and Katie are interacting with each other since the change of the 12pm show.

I've been wanting to check it out but I always seem to be out to lunch at that time. Is it just like a regular newscast or does it still have some stuff from Talk Philly?

The new Eyewitness News at Noon is much better than "Talk Philly". They are actually doing good interviews and Ukee, Pat, and Katie are interacting with each other since the change of the 12pm show.

I've been wanting to check it out but I always seem to be out to lunch at that time. Is it just like a regular newscast or does it still have some stuff from Talk Philly?

For the first 20 minutes, they read the news. Then once Katie is done with the weather forecast, they go over to an interview in that huge space in the studio with the giant monitor.

So apparently Kate Bilo worked Friday 11:00PM, and then did Saturday monring, because they are so low on forecasters. I'm assuming Katie Fehlinger did Sunday AM, and Justin whatever did the weekend eveneings.

Now this is a hectic schedule as it is with only 3 meteorologists on staff, but CBS 3 really needs to act quick because Fehlinger is pregenaunt, and from the looks of it ready to pop any day. So they're on the verge of losing her for several months too

So apparently Kate Bilo worked Friday 11:00PM, and then did Saturday monring, because they are so low on forecasters. I'm assuming Katie Fehlinger did Sunday AM, and Justin whatever did the weekend eveneings.

Now this is a hectic schedule as it is with only 3 meteorologists on staff, but CBS 3 really needs to act quick because Fehlinger is pregenaunt, and from the looks of it ready to pop any day. So they're on the verge of losing her for several months too

On the Sunday morning show, it was pretty weird. Nicole Brewer actually did some of the weather reports and then for the 7 day forecast, she turned over to Justin Drabick who taped the forecast on Saturday Night.

What already was a trainwreck of newscasts just got way worse! I wouldn't be surprised if they get a reporter to start giving forecasts?

On the Sunday morning show, it was pretty weird. Nicole Brewer actually did some of the weather reports and then for the 7 day forecast, she turned over to Justin Drabick who taped the forecast on Saturday Night.

No reason Justin can't do all the weekend newscasts live (this used to be the norm), on a temporary basis. They can get a freelancer (Michelle Grossman and Karen Thomas come to mind... is John Bolaris still around?).

When Katie goes on maternity leave, the weekend AM person can do 3 weekday mornings while Justin does the other 2.

CBS 3 needs to hire at least 2 weathercasters, 3 male Co-Anchors (1 to replace Ukee in the AM, 1 for weekend mornings, 1 weekend evenings)

A new sports anchor, and a few new reporters who belong in Market 4. With the exception of Walt Hunter, all of the reporting staff are mid level market at best.

CBS really should invest big time $$$$ into KYW, just like Comcast did for WCAU.

Ukee's moving to nighttime and other changes. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/292945081.html

More changes at CBS3, which on Tuesday let go of three of its biggest on-air names: anchor Chris May, chief meteorologist Kathy Orr and sports director Beasley Reece.

Starting July 13, longtime morning anchor Ukee Washington will replace May as co-anchor, with Jessica Dean, of the 5, 6, and 11 p.m. newscasts on CBS3 and the 10 p.m. newscast on CW57, a station spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Kate Bilo will replace Kathy Orr as chief meteorologists on those newscasts, with Katie Fehlinger taking over Bilo’s duties on the noon show.

Meteorologist Carol Erickson, who has been with the station on and off since 1978, was offered a new contract but has decided to leave to, in her words, “focus on my commitment to animal welfare in the region.”

No word on replacement for Reece.

Ericsson has been at the station since the "3 for All" era! One of the best meteorologists.

When Katie goes on maternity leave, the weekend AM person can do 3 weekday mornings while Justin does the other 2.

Thats what they should be doing now. Have Katie live Saturday & Sundays, and have Justin fill in for her 2 days during the week.

No reason Justin can't do all the weekend newscasts live (this used to be the norm), on a temporary basis. They can get a freelancer (Michelle Grossman and Karen Thomas come to mind... is John Bolaris still around?).

Michelle Grossman's been working weekends on NBC10 again, although she was off this weekend. Justin also does traffic on CBS3 during the weekday mornings occasionally. They should get one of their "Weather Watchers" to start doing forecasts. :p Kate Bilo is auditioning replacements/helpers, too. http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/cbs-3-kidcaster/