Raycom and WVUE / New Orleans Go Shared Services

mightynine

As long as Benson is owner, I agree, the FOX affiliation will stay with WVUE as he would want most of his team's games on his station.

As to Tribune having a wider array of affiliates once Local TV's stations become part of the pack, that may be true, but even Local TV's larger market stations are FOX stations.

WGNO just seems to be the oddball in their group. I almost think WGNO would compete better with less competition for news at 9pm (instead of 10pm), and their alternative news format (News with a Twist) is actually better suited for a "Fox" station. American Idol and other FOX programs might help improve their ratings. Additionally, while WVUE may be a "decently performing station" and improving, aren't they third in most time periods where there are competing newscasts?

I only bring this up because of Tribune's relationship with FOX.

As long as Benson is owner, I agree, the FOX affiliation will stay with WVUE as he would want most of his team's games on his station.

As to Tribune having a wider array of affiliates once Local TV's stations become part of the pack, that may be true, but even Local TV's larger market stations are FOX stations.

WGNO just seems to be the oddball in their group. I almost think WGNO would compete better with less competition for news at 9pm (instead of 10pm), and their alternative news format (News with a Twist) is actually better suited for a "Fox" station. American Idol and other FOX programs might help improve their ratings. Additionally, while WVUE may be a "decently performing station" and improving, aren't they third in most time periods where there are competing newscasts?

I only bring this up because of Tribune's relationship with FOX.

They're third during most time slots except 9pm (where they are #1) and 10pm (where they beat WDSU for #2).

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2013/05/wwl-tv_wdsu_show_audience_gain.html

You raise some good points but the fact of the matter is that the Saints games are very lucrative for that market and WVUE will fight tooth and nail to keep the Fox affiliation even if Benson does eventually sell the station.

• 1 year later...

It doesn't make sense to run that caption if the station's operations are being run by an Alabama company.

Benson wanted to hold the property but his advanced age, as well as the increasingly scale-oriented nature of local television, prevented him from keeping it in his control.

It doesn't make sense to run that caption if the station's operations are being run by an Alabama company.

If you think that doesn't make any sense, at the end of their newscasts, WVUE runs this in the background while the VO says "Fox 8, proud to be locally owned". Since Benson still owns the station they are still technically correct (the best kind of correct). Still it does sound weird hearing that while the Raycom Media logo is on the screen.

WVUE_Closing_Credit-x93Kbapx.1428378996.png

If you think that doesn't make any sense, at the end of their newscasts, WVUE runs this in the background while the VO says "Fox 8, proud to be locally owned". Since Benson still owns the station they are still technically correct (the best kind of correct). Still it does sound weird hearing that while the Raycom Media logo is on the screen.

WVUE_Closing_Credit-x93Kbapx.1428378996.png

Archived