Gray buying Hoak & Prime Stations

tyrannical bastard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
The time for that was before March 31st vote. The FCC didn't/won't compromise and refuses to address these issues as part of the overall ownership rules. So, here we are. Grab yourself a bucket of popcorn and watch the waves come rolling in. This is likely the first of many.

They will continue simulcasting the primary stream of KSNB on the ".2's" of KOLN/KGIN. So, they will still have NBC. They will however lose access to the combo of MNT/MeTV (via OTA) as that will move to the ".2" of KSNB.

Its been moved to a .3 of KOLN/KGIN and in Lincoln you still get it on K18CD, a repeater of KSNB. KWAZ-LP channel 35 is listed as on air and is also a repeater of KSNB on analog, but isn't transmitting anything when you tune to it.

KNOP, probably not at all. WOWT, I could almost see them losing cable carriage in Lincoln at Gray's request.

KNOP is now branded as NBC Nebraska News 2 North Platte. They recently consolidated their studios with KNPL into a new set/location and operate the weather cast the same way they do KSNB, out of Lincoln on a satellite link.

• 8 months later...

Another update for the Nebraska TV scene:

• KSNB, KNOP, & KNEP are now all master controlled out of 3 control rooms at KOLN/KGIN studios in Lincoln. The building now has 3 control rooms that were seen on a Facebook live stream tour of the station from an anchor during election coverage in May 2016 between results coming in. Based on social media images from various station meteorologists, there are also 2 green screen rooms for them to broadcast the KNOP and KSNB weather from while KOLN/KGIN does their weather in the main studio. During KNEP broadcasts, now branded as NBC Nebrsaka Scottsbluff they are essentially running out of 3 studios on weekdays:
    • News in North Platte
    • Weather/Master Control in Lincoln. Weather is out of North Platte on the weekends.
    • Sports out of the Scottsbluff chromakey studio.

[*]All Gray TV stations in Nebraska, with the exception of WOWT now carry their weather branded as the Nebraska Weather Network, with the majority of weather for the stations being out of Lincoln and all severe weather crawls originate out of Lincoln, as on KOLN/KGIN it says to logon to all the websites in the weather network.

[*]There are now only 2 on air anchors left on KSNB from the KHAS days and weather is only done from the Hastings studio during morning and midday now. Almost the same on KNOP except they have a weekend meteorologist in North Platte.

[*]KFXL & NTV finally sold to Sinclair and at the end of the newscasts have copyrights listing them as Sinclair Television of Omaha, LLC. Interesting they just rolled it into Omaha. KFXL recently had it's grahpics for the 9 PM news updated and actually look even more professional than NTV. I would not be surprised if Sinclair tries to rebrand KFXL to have more Lincoln news as the newest KFXL Nightly open specifically calls it out as covering Lincoln & Central Nebraska News. However during the weather tonight, the map excluded Lincoln and left a hole where it would be and instead showed Waverly and Palmyra, NE. Ironic considering they say they are a Lincoln station but don't show Lincoln on the currents map of weather.

Another update for the Nebraska TV scene:

• KSNB, KNOP, & KNEP are now all master controlled out of 3 control rooms at KOLN/KGIN studios in Lincoln. The building now has 3 control rooms that were seen on a Facebook live stream tour of the station from an anchor during election coverage in May 2016 between results coming in. Based on social media images from various station meteorologists, there are also 2 green screen rooms for them to broadcast the KNOP and KSNB weather from while KOLN/KGIN does their weather in the main studio. During KNEP broadcasts, now branded as NBC Nebrsaka Scottsbluff they are essentially running out of 3 studios on weekdays:
    • News in North Platte
    • Weather/Master Control in Lincoln. Weather is out of North Platte on the weekends.

I would love to see a map of the microwave paths in and out of that network of stations.

Maybe North Platte would merge into Lincoln-Hastings-Kearney.

The FCC could allow KRON to move there and become the dominate NBC affiliate it finally deserves to be.

Problem SOLVED!

Out of curiosity, is NBC Nebraska on the .2s of KOLN and KGIN, and is 10/11 CBS on the .2s of the three NBC stations of NBC Nebraska? Wow, Gray built up a powerhouse there, since ABC in the area is on a pair of joke groups...

NBC Nebraska (KSNB) is on KOLN 10.2 and KGIN 11.2

10/11 is on no subchannel of NBC Nebraska with the exception of 10/11 Central Nebraska (MyTV/Me-TV) on KSNB 4.2/KOLN 10.3/KGIN 11.3

Out of curiosity, is NBC Nebraska on the .2s of KOLN and KGIN, and is 10/11 CBS on the .2s of the three NBC stations of NBC Nebraska? Wow, Gray built up a powerhouse there, since ABC in the area is on a pair of joke groups...

The way the channels are lined up is the following:

KOLN/KGIN (Channels 10/11)

.1 KOLN/KGIN CBS

.2 Simulcast of KSNB NBC 4.1

.3 Simulcast of KSNB MeTV 4.2 (They have officially stopped calling it 10/11 Central Nebraska on air and now refer to it only as MeTV Nebraska. On the central Nebraska portion of 1011now.com it now has a graphic that says "Powered By NBC Nebraska". They obviously saw no use in competing with themselves. This was added later in 2014 because I assume many were not happy (including myself before knowing about K18CD) loosing Me/MyTV since they may not have gotten KSNB or K18CD in their area.)

KSNB (Channel 4)

.1 KSNB NBC

.2 KSNB MeTV (Formerly 10/11 Central Nebraska but continues to carry mostly the same programming as before and is advertised and still being controlled by 10/11.)

K18CD (Channel 18 in Lincoln): Repeater of KSNB in Lincoln due to poor to little reception there. (Actually is broadcast here a few seconds before it is on KOLN's sub channel, suggesting this may have a more direct microwave link.)

.1 KSNB NBC

.2 KSNB MeTV

KNPL (North Platte Channel 10)

.1 10/11 North Platte CBS. (Airs all the same programming as KOLN/KGIN except for Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 PM, where it substitutes it with 10/11 North Platte News at 6:30.)

.2 KSNB MeTV

Maybe North Platte would merge into Lincoln-Hastings-Kearney.

It could but it could also cause alot of issues at the same time. Currently KFXL is not permitted to broadcast on NTV's sub channel in North Platte since Gray has the rights to it on KIIT (sub channel of KNOP). It would possibly mean adjustments to KNPL of some sort since it is no longer an LP station.

The way the channels are lined up is the following:

KOLN/KGIN (Channels 10/11)

.1 KOLN/KGIN CBS

.2 Simulcast of KSNB NBC 4.1

.3 Simulcast of KSNB MeTV 4.2 (They have officially stopped calling it 10/11 Central Nebraska on air and now refer to it only as MeTV Nebraska. On the central Nebraska portion of 1011now.com it now has a graphic that says "Powered By NBC Nebraska". They obviously saw no use in competing with themselves. This was added later in 2014 because I assume many were not happy (including myself before knowing about K18CD) loosing Me/MyTV since they may not have gotten KSNB or K18CD in their area.)

KSNB (Channel 4)

.1 KSNB NBC

.2 KSNB MeTV (Formerly 10/11 Central Nebraska but continues to carry mostly the same programming as before and is advertised and still being controlled by 10/11.)

K18CD (Channel 18 in Lincoln): Repeater of KSNB in Lincoln due to poor to little reception there. (Actually is broadcast here a few seconds before it is on KOLN's sub channel, suggesting this may have a more direct microwave link.)

.1 KSNB NBC

.2 KSNB MeTV

KNPL (North Platte Channel 10)

.1 10/11 North Platte CBS. (Airs all the same programming as KOLN/KGIN except for Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 PM, where it substitutes it with 10/11 North Platte News at 6:30.)

.2 KSNB MeTV

No longer at 6:30pm on KNPL-LD. Since been replaced by Inside Edition and the 10:00pm news is no longer produced by KNPL and now airs Lincoln's 10/11 News at 10:00

1011now.com/centralnebraska still has it as "10/11 Central Nebraska" with the "powered by NBC Nebraska" message.

No longer at 6:30pm on KNPL-LD. Since been replaced by Inside Edition and the 10:00pm news is no longer produced by KNPL and now airs Lincoln's 10/11 News at 10:00

1011now.com/centralnebraska still has it as "10/11 Central Nebraska" with the "powered by NBC Nebraska" message.

Thanks for the info on the 6:30 newscast. I suspected as much and am not surprised. It says it streams online but I haven't been able to see it for a while. I live on the Lincoln end so the programming for KNPL is a little less common for me. I found it amazing how Gray invested all the money to upgrade and construct a studio set for KNPL in downtown NP, and then 2 years later move out and consolidate it all with KNOP and essentially abandon their hard work. I understand it isn't worth producing the same newscast twice, but it seemed like there weren't very many good options on that move after all the hype they made on 10/11 for the launch of it if they wanted to to retain the quality of the two station. The product they got out of this is great though.

Archived