CSN Philly taking over NBC10 Sports duties

PhillyWatch

It's not as convenient as you think. Access is pretty much the same as any other station. NBC has taken several significant steps over the last 6 months to remove CSN's daily operations apart from the building's. Kind of being an oasis in the building, rather than part of it. And, yes, as mentioned upthread, bigger studio space is needed.

Interesting. If they were to move out of the Well though, do you think they'd want to move downtown or stay in the Sports Complex in a new building? I agree their studio space is tiny. They three sets practically jammed into one area. I don't know how they manage to get more than one camera into the PST set since it's basically a hole in the wall behind the SportsNite/Rise set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how they manage to get more than one camera into the PST set since it's basically a hole in the wall behind the SportsNite/Rise set.

My six shift tenure at CSN comes in handy for once!

If I recall correctly, cameras 1 and 3 are crammed in there, 2 was pretty much in the SportsNite set and was only capable of getting a single shot of the middle guest or a 2-shot of the two rightmost guests. Camera 4, the jib camera, sits next to camera 2 and seems kinda limited...there was a time I was running 2 and had 4 stuck in the corner of my shot.

Also, who's idea was it to put the studio and control room on complete opposite sides of a f'ing arena? I would run camera for PST and prompter for SportsNite...I had 2:30 to literally run out of the studio, through the newsroom, across the concourse, down the stairs, around the corner, and hope to god somebody will let me in the control room in time for me to load the prompter.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an answer for you. Post Game duties would be tough, because games could start late, or run late (overtime, etc.), and that could invade WCAU's slot. The preference is the same talent for Pre/Intermission/Post, so I doubt he will will be assigned to game coverage, except for Eagles, like he did when he was based in 10's building.

• 1 month later...

Don't really get what John's doing different other than reporting from the CSN studios. The report seems the same. Maybe I'm missing what the benefits of this arrangement are.

I have seen the first non-benefit (from a sports perspective): it looks like Sports Final is gone in favor of an additional half hour of news on Sunday nights.

The benefit of the arrangement is cost savings. $$$$$$ Now there is only one outfit providing sports coverage to two NBC stations, rather than have two sets of hosts, writers, producers and editors across the two facilities - often with nearly the same output. It's all about where you allocate your manpower.

About five or so years ago, there was serious discussion to have CSN do all of KYW/WPSG's sports in the same arrangement that WCAU has. Things fell apart before the whole Comcast/NBC deal.

Also, to answer WCAUNBC10's question a bit more, John Clark did fill in for Michael Barkann for a few days on Philly Sports Talk last week. His reports have been on SportsNite as well, although I doubt he will anchor the latter program, as there are WCAU responsibilities during the SportsNite time slots. (WCAU sometimes records morning sports before the 11PM show.) When they need an extra body, they bring Steve Bucci in for the desk.

• 5 weeks later...

Watching the Phillies game on 10, and there's no branding of 10 anywhere in the broadcast, outside the occasional commercial or 15 second hit. Everything is CSN branding. When they were on 17 last year, they did put it in the score box logo and mention it coming back from commercials and such. Why the change this year? One would think they go 10 everything just about with this being the home opener.

Watching the Phillies game on 10, and there's no branding of 10 anywhere in the broadcast, outside the occasional commercial or 15 second hit. Everything is CSN branding. When they were on 17 last year, they did put it in the score box logo and mention it coming back from commercials and such. Why the change this year? One would think they go 10 everything just about with this being the home opener.

I would think so too. CSN Bay Area produces Giants games that are carried on KNTV and they use a modded graphic package for them. I thought they'd go the same route here.

I would think so too. CSN Bay Area produces Giants games that are carried on KNTV and they use a modded graphic package for them. I thought they'd go the same route here.

It's not that modified. They take the CSN logo out and it's just replaced by the peacock, not sure why they didn't do it for the WCAU game.

Ok, 12. Still not worth the trouble. It's already a Comcast branded game on a Comcast channel. Why put in more work? Trust me, it's difficult to get those changes accomplished within Comcast. Not impossible, but difficult. What is the benefit of putting 10's logo on there? Hell, they don't even give TCN's logo a showing.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

They've also reduced SportsNet Central to a mere 15 min show on a 4 hour loop in the morning. The 10PM show is no more which is probably why they felt Ron was expendable.

Also SNC is now originating from the Philly Sports Talk set. I hope they plan on doing something with the now almost 10 year old news & panel show sets.

SNC will not always originate from the talk set. It will depend on the night and studio trafficking. The sets will not be updated until a new studio space is built. CSN Mid-Atlantic has the refreshed version of the news set already. Same structure, newer monitors, colors changed to blue & gray.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like CSN Philly is headed towards its undoing quickly.

It looks like they're going for the FSN M.O.... Very little Live programming outside of Sports, with a heavy emphasis on taped and cheap programming.

Archived