CSN Philly taking over NBC10 Sports duties

PhillyWatch

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINALLY.

I've long admired the CSN model of doing things, and they've really been the best television sports outlet for years. Leveraging their dedicated resources actually helps legitimize NBC 10's sports presentation while undoubtedly saving a bunch of money. It really was just a matter of time - 10 has been reducing its sports coverage over the last few months (Sports Final was dropped for an hour-long Sunday 11pm, Vai's moving to the anchor desk, etc...)

I also think it's a given that John Clark moves over to the nWo, as the Daily News put it (sorry, I really couldn't resist). He's been something of a free agent lately, staying with PHL 17's Phillies coverage even after the news agreement with NBC 10 ended, and appearing on CSN's revived Great Sports Debate. If he's not coming aboard to present the sports updates... well, I for one would love to see Ron Burke on channel 10's air again.

FINALLY.

I've long admired the CSN model of doing things, and they've really been the best television sports outlet for years. Leveraging their dedicated resources actually helps legitimize NBC 10's sports presentation while undoubtedly saving a bunch of money. It really was just a matter of time - 10 has been reducing its sports coverage over the last few months (Sports Final was dropped for an hour-long Sunday 11pm, Vai's moving to the anchor desk, etc...)

I also think it's a given that John Clark moves over to the nWo, as the Daily News put it (sorry, I really couldn't resist). He's been something of a free agent lately, staying with PHL 17's Phillies coverage even after the news agreement with NBC 10 ended, and appearing on CSN's revived Great Sports Debate. If he's not coming aboard to present the sports updates... well, I for one would love to see Ron Burke on channel 10's air again.

I'm pretty sure they'll use Mr. Burke on the sports segments. Hopefully nobody at NBC 10 will lose their jobs.

CSN also has the news on their site - and what's hilarious is that they're using The Forbidden Logo for NBC 10. You know, the one that they put on their news vans before they were forced to come up with a far better new logo.

They're also housing the press release. It notes that Vai will be doing reports for Sochi that'll be airing on both stations. It also notes that they'll continue to be doing the High School Blitz show that airs on both stations, and that NBC 10 First Alert Weather reports - which have been airing on CSN for a while now - will continue. Same with the sports section of NBC10.com.

I'm pretty sure they'll use Mr. Burke on the sports segments. Hopefully nobody at NBC 10 will lose their jobs.

The Daily News article noted that the arrangement at KNTV didn't result in any job losses. I'm sure that there will be minimal job loss, if anything.

This has been formalizing something that's been happening since Comcast bought NBCUni. They've already been scaling back their sports coverage. Sports Final was axed in favor of an hour-long 11pm news on Sundays, Eskin's gone to 29, Vai's a weeknight anchor now, Clark's been showing up on PHL 17 and CSN already. This is something that was a long time coming, and it was finally made official today.

Moreover, Telemundo starts doing its newscasts in January. (Which presents the interesting question of where CSN will do its sports reports. Wells Fargo Center?) So even with CSN taking over sports, Comcast is still adding people to their flagship station.

CSN also has the news on their site - and what's hilarious is that they're using The Forbidden Logo for NBC 10. You know, the one that they put on their news vans before they were forced to come up with a far better new logo.

They're also housing the press release. It notes that Vai will be doing reports for Sochi that'll be airing on both stations. It also notes that they'll continue to be doing the High School Blitz show that airs on both stations, and that NBC 10 First Alert Weather reports - which have been airing on CSN for a while now - will continue. Same with the sports section of NBC10.com.

The Daily News article noted that the arrangement at KNTV didn't result in any job losses. I'm sure that there will be minimal job loss, if anything.

This has been formalizing something that's been happening since Comcast bought NBCUni. They've already been scaling back their sports coverage. Sports Final was axed in favor of an hour-long 11pm news on Sundays, Eskin's gone to 29, Vai's a weeknight anchor now, Clark's been showing up on PHL 17 and CSN already. This is something that was a long time coming, and it was finally made official today.

Moreover, Telemundo starts doing its newscasts in January. (Which presents the interesting question of where CSN will do its sports reports. Wells Fargo Center?) So even with CSN taking over sports, Comcast is still adding people to their flagship station.

Today's Daily News and CSN's press release outlines what the merger will entail. John will move to CSN and will file the sportscasts for 10. 10 made the announcement on the 6PM and also noted Vai's gonna have an "expanded role" on the news team. They didn't go into any detail on that though. It'll be interesting to see what that is.

Both of these are good reads and you should check them out:

CSN: http://www.csnphilly.com/article/nbc10-joins-forces-comcast-sportsnet-philadelphia-deliver-unparalleled-daily-sports-coverage

Daily News: http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20131119_Comcast_SportsNet_to_provide_coverage_for_NBC10.html

That's probably what will happen. All of KNTV's sports reports now come from the CSN Bay Area newsroom in San Francisco. It's a little strange never seeing the sports anchors with everyone else in the studio, but I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

Yeah... this was no surprise. I hope CSN would have some consistency though when it comes to who reports in NBC 10 newscasts. I really hope too that John Clark will still have a prominent presence in CSN's reports in NBC 10. It is a bit bittersweet though because this ends a great sports department teamup of Clark and Sikahema.

Clark will anchor the sports hits for 10. Probably seven days a week too which isn't too out of the ordinary cause CSN's on air staff can and will appear any day of the week.

But none of them work seven days a week. John Clark won't, either.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, what forbidden logo? I must've missed this.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm reading 10 will move to 1800 Arch as part of a new 59 story Comcast Technology center/skyscraper that's being built.

T62 will be housed in the building as well. My question: Will CSN Philly move in too, or are they happy at the sports complex? I imagine those studios have to be pretty tiny.

So I'm reading 10 will move to 1800 Arch as part of a new 59 story Comcast Technology center/skyscraper that's being built.

T62 will be housed in the building as well. My question: Will CSN Philly move in too, or are they happy at the sports complex? I imagine those studios have to be pretty tiny.

Well, that's interesting news. Here's more on the proposed Innovation and Technology Center Tower in Philly:

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-innovation-technology-center-press-release

Does anyone other than me think they purposely had the building designed to mimic Rockefeller Center in New York and NBC Tower in Chicago? I know it's gonna be all-glass on the outside, but the shape looks similar.

I doubt CSN is going anywhere simply for the fact that they are where they are and the convenience of it all.

It's not as convenient as you think. Access is pretty much the same as any other station. NBC has taken several significant steps over the last 6 months to remove CSN's daily operations apart from the building's. Kind of being an oasis in the building, rather than part of it. And, yes, as mentioned upthread, bigger studio space is needed.

Archived