CSN Philly taking over NBC10 Sports duties

PhillyWatch

It looks like they're going for the FSN M.O.... Very little Live programming outside of Sports, with a heavy emphasis on taped and cheap programming.

And this is why FSN has largely become dogshit. Although, I'm pretty sure that Howard Eskin wouldn't charge a whole lot to have a multi-hour call-in show where he gets to shout "you're a dope" at every caller. Hey, there's an idea...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this is why FSN has largely become dogshit. Although, I'm pretty sure that Howard Eskin wouldn't charge a whole lot to have a multi-hour call-in show where he gets to shout "you're a dope" at every caller. Hey, there's an idea...

I think FOX and NBC realized that they could still get top dollar for their RSN's without having to invest too much in ancillary programming. As long as the ratings/revenues are good for the live sports events, everything else is whatever to them. Why spend more money than you have to?

Looks like CSN Philly is headed towards its undoing quickly.

All of the CSNs are undergoing the same issues. Philly actually covers the most teams out of all of them, and they are still having problems. They are trying to reach a younger audience, be more social, and copy SportsCenter. The execution is very haphazard. Also, huge budget cuts have been mandated.

Pretty soon it will just be infomercials for 1/2 the day and Michael Barkann talking Eagles for the rest of the day.

It already IS this.

All of the CSNs are undergoing the same issues. Philly actually covers the most teams out of all of them, and they are still having problems. They are trying to reach a younger audience, be more social, and copy SportsCenter. The execution is very haphazard. Also, huge budget cuts have been mandated.

It already IS this.

If Breakfast on Broad and The 700 Level Show are their best attempts then they're in a lot of trouble.

It already IS this.

Well, what do you mean by "covers?" CSN Mid-Atlantic does double duty between DC and Baltimore, so they'd be covering more teams than Philly albeit with less live sports.

Regardless, I think CSN Philly was the only one really running like a full on network. The others all seem to have been gutted regional sports channels from the start. Philly is just catching up.

If Breakfast on Broad and The 700 Level Show are their best attempts then they're in a lot of trouble.

Wasn't BoB on TCN? That mess where TCN became CSNPhilly2 didn't help anything.

Well, what do you mean by "covers?" CSN Mid-Atlantic does double duty between DC and Baltimore, so they'd be covering more teams than Philly albeit with less live sports.

Regardless, I think CSN Philly was the only one really running like a full on network. The others all seem to have been gutted regional sports channels from the start. Philly is just catching up.

Wasn't BoB on TCN? That mess where TCN became CSNPhilly2 didn't help anything.

Is there a possibility where they'd simulcast a radio show? CAN Mid Atlantic simulcasts DC's 106.7 The Fan's radio show.

Have they (or are they planning to) cut back on the Spring Training telecasts? Because if they're cutting left and right, i'd imagine that the telecasts would be one place they would try and save money.

Have they (or are they planning to) cut back on the Spring Training telecasts? Because if they're cutting left and right, i'd imagine that the telecasts would be one place they would try and save money.

Nope. They're showing 17 games between their two networks. Most of the games they carry are home games so it doesn't cost as much to broadcast.

Nope. They're showing 17 games between their two networks. Most of the games they carry are home games so it doesn't cost as much to broadcast.

Interesting. The FSN's have seen cuts in the last few months as well. This time around, FS San Diego will broadcast a few more Spring Training games than in previous years, but they will be simulcast from FS West. So in a way, they're cutting back on a few games- since they won't be producing them.

They are the rights holder for Flyers, Phillies and Sixers, and provide heavy coverage for Eagles and Union. I'd say CSN Philly's team-saturation is higher than their sister stations.

I mean, I don't know if you're comparing to east coast sports stations alone, or all the CSN networks nationwide, but CSN Chicago has the majority rights to both the White Sox and Cubs, the Bulls, Blackhawks, and Fire (MLS), in addition to a couple of in-house NFL/Bears programs each week. Point being, I'm not sure how you think CSN Philly is any more important or special than their "sister stations", and that they somehow "cover" more than their counterparts. Cuts are being made group-wide, so while some might be hurt more than others, Philadelphia's network is merely going to be treated like the other CSN's. No better, no worse, and there isn't really anything wrong with that.

I mean, I don't know if you're comparing to east coast sports stations alone, or all the CSN networks nationwide, but CSN Chicago has the majority rights to both the White Sox and Cubs, the Bulls, Blackhawks, and Fire (MLS), in addition to a couple of in-house NFL/Bears programs each week. Point being, I'm not sure how you think CSN Philly is any more important or special than their "sister stations", and that they somehow "cover" more than their counterparts. Cuts are being made group-wide, so while some might be hurt more than others, Philadelphia's network is merely going to be treated like the other CSN's. No better, no worse, and there isn't really anything wrong with that.

Maybe because CSN Philly was the first CSN. That doesn't really affect the treatment, but maybe that's where he's coming from.

They are the rights holder for Flyers, Phillies and Sixers, and provide heavy coverage for Eagles and Union. I'd say CSN Philly's team-saturation is higher than their sister stations.

Eh... CSN MA has rights to the Wizards, Capitals, and Mystics, is the official cable partner of the Redskins, had the rights to the United until last year, and otherwise covers the Nationals, Orioles, and Ravens. None of this includes the collegiate coverage on the channel.

But aside from that, to 24994J's point, CSN Chicago has them beat. Even more than that, if you combine CSN Bay Area and CSN California, they have the rights to nearly every team in northern California. So they'd probably be the biggest CSN operation by your metrics, right?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Philly Sports Talk (formerly Daily New Live) has been canceled after 21+ years.  Their last live show will be Thursday, Feb 28.  Friday March 1 will be a "best of" show.  Current hosts Amy Fadool & Marc Farzetta will continue with other duties at the network.  Another hour of the Mike Missanelli radio show simulcast will fill the 5PM hour.

https://www.philly.com/sports/philly-sports-talk-canceled-nbc-sports-philadelphia-daily-news-live-20190225.html

• 4 weeks later...

Tune in Thursday to Phillies Pregame Live for the debut of the new, larger Studio A. All new design from the NBC Sports Group.

A secondary Studio B has been also built to replace the Columbus Blvd. facility, but that isn't scheduled to go online yet.

Archived