Who is the runner up at CBS News?

BehindNYNews

Scott Pelly is doing well at the evening news but if/when he leaves, who is up next to get the broadcast?

At ABC you have George, NBC has Lester but I don't think CBS is as clear. Norah? Charlie? Jeff Glor?

Heck, ABC has two more than viable options. As for CBS, I'd put my money on Norah. She already does a fair amount of filling in, and Charlie and Jeff are too old and unknown, respectively.

ABC has David and George. NBC has Lester and Matt (?)

Matt never rarely anchors 'Nightly'. Here's what happened the last time he did...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/matt-lauer-nightly-news-mix-ups_n_1561980.html

For Matt to appear on 'NN', these people have to be passed over...

• Lester Holt
  • Natalie Morales
  • Savannah Guthrie
  • David Gregory
  • Kate Snow
  • Harry Smith
  • Hoda Kotb (KLG is optional)
  • Try Lester again
  • Tom Brokaw
  • Meredith Vieira
  • Huntley and/or Brinkley
  • Scott Pelley
  • Diane Sawyer
  • Hugh Downs
  • Barbara Walters
  • Anderson Cooper
  • Maybe not Lester, but Stefan Holt, perhaps?
  • Camera Operator #2
  • Jay Leno
  • Conan O'Brien
  • Jimmy Fallon
  • Seth Meyers
  • Camera Operator #5
  • Alex Trebek seems pretty smart.
  • Dan Rather
  • J. Fred Muggs
  • Kermit the Frog
  • An Ingrown Toenail
  • Sarah Palin
  • One more frantic call to the Holt residence

Then, and only then do they summon Mr. Lauer.

Matt never rarely anchors 'Nightly'. Here's what happened the last time he did...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/matt-lauer-nightly-news-mix-ups_n_1561980.html

• Lester Holt
  • Natalie Morales
  • Savannah Guthrie
  • David Gregory
  • Kate Snow
  • Harry Smith
  • Tom Brokaw
  • Scott Pelley
  • Diane Sawyer
  • Hugh Downs
  • Barbara Walters
  • Anderson Cooper
  • Camera Operator #2
  • Jay Leno
  • Conan O'Brien
  • Jimmy Fallon
  • Seth Meyers
  • Camera Operator #5
  • J. Fred Muggs
  • Kermit the Frog
  • An Ingrown Hair
  • Sarah Palin

No Jenna Wolfe?

• Lester Holt
  • Natalie Morales
  • Savannah Guthrie
  • David Gregory
  • Kate Snow
  • Harry Smith
  • Try Lester again
  • Tom Brokaw
  • Meredith Vieira
  • Scott Pelley
  • Diane Sawyer
  • Hugh Downs
  • Barbara Walters
  • Anderson Cooper
  • Camera Operator #2
  • Jay Leno
  • Conan O'Brien
  • Jimmy Fallon
  • Seth Meyers
  • Camera Operator #5
  • Dan Rather
  • J. Fred Muggs
  • Kermit the Frog
  • An Ingrown Toenail
  • Sarah Palin

:rofl!: :rofl!: :rofl!: :rofl!: OMMFG!!!! LMMFAO!!!!

But Wait.... you forgot someone. Sue Simmons!!

• Lester Holt
  • Natalie Morales
  • Savannah Guthrie
  • David Gregory
  • Kate Snow
  • Harry Smith
  • Try Lester again
  • Tom Brokaw
  • Meredith Vieira
  • Scott Pelley
  • Diane Sawyer
  • Hugh Downs
  • Barbara Walters
  • Anderson Cooper
  • Camera Operator #2
  • Jay Leno
  • Conan O'Brien
  • Jimmy Fallon
  • Seth Meyers
  • Camera Operator #5
  • Dan Rather
  • J. Fred Muggs
  • Kermit the Frog
  • An Ingrown Toenail
  • Sarah Palin

I would like Harry to anchor but that isn't going to be a permanent thing.

Riddle me this then. If Matt is seriously the last choice, WTF is he still doing on Today?

I would like Harry to anchor but that isn't going to be a permanent thing.

Riddle me this then. If Matt is seriously the last choice, WTF is he still doing on Today?

Tenure. It will look bad if they get rid of him. Ann may have been the news anchor for many many years, but Matt led the broadcast for longer.

Perhaps Jim Axelrod.

This is a problem -- and has been for decades -- at CBS. You would think that they would learn.

Actually, it only became a problem recently when John Roberts was passed over in favor of Katie Couric. Before that CBS did a good job of preparing talent to be CBS Evening News anchor and thus the face of CBS News. Before Cronkite was "The most trusted man in America", he anchored election coverage and coverage of Democratic and Republican conventions. Before Dan Rather began anchoring the CBS Evening News, he was White House correspondent and key to CBS News coverage of the JFK assassination and Watergate.

It's got to be Norah for CBS, unless they decide not to mess with a good (or at least an improving) thing in the morning, but the only other possibilities that even come to mind are Major Garrett and another caretaker period for Bob Schieffer.

The more interesting question for me is whether Lester's a serious candidate for Lauer's spot on Today, which will probably open up sooner than the Nightly News chair, and whether that would change his status as the obvious heir to Nightly.

It's got to be Norah for CBS, unless they decide not to mess with a good (or at least an improving) thing in the morning, but the only other possibilities that even come to mind are Major Garrett and another caretaker period for Bob Schieffer.

The more interesting question for me is whether Lester's a serious candidate for Lauer's spot on Today, which will probably open up sooner than the Nightly News chair, and whether that would change his status as the obvious heir to Nightly.

CBS tried Schieffer before Katie and Major Garrett doesn't seem right (to me at least). My opinion of course.

I don't think Lester is the best candidate for Matt's spot on Today but I don't think the morning anchor has to be the one to get the evening spot. Even if, lets say David Gregory gets Matt's spot, Lester is still the runner up for Brian's spot.

No, the problem was Dan Rather.

Rather made sure that nobody upstaged him at CBS. He made sure that a promising - and excellent - newsmagazine that didn't involve him (West 57th) was starved of resources. It's no coincidence that the next two magazines they tried had Dan Rather in prominent roles.

They didn't have anyone lined up after Rather because Rather hogged the spotlight. Everything seemed to be about him. Honestly? If I were a network president I would have immediately fired his ass when he threw a temper tantrum and walked off the set when the US Open went long.

Yeah.... if you can't tell, I have an extreme dislike for Dan Rather. Couric's tenure there might have been disastrous, but it did not cause anywhere near the long-term damage that Dan Rather did during his 24 years in the anchor chair.

---

Back on topic, I think CBS has ample time to groom a successor, and they don't have to do it right now. Scott Pelley has turned out to be a natural for that anchor chair and I sincerely hope it's his for a long time. I'm a fan of BriWi, but Pelley has that poise and confidence that Peter Jennings had. (And his broadcast seems to be a much better fit for the title WORLD News Tonight than ABC's Good Evening America is these days.)

If they do decide to groom it, while Norah seems like a natural choice now, I'm thinking she's a stone cold mortal lock to get Face The Nation when Schieffer is done with it. The problem at CBS is that while they have great correspondents, they don't have great natural anchors. Bob Orr and John Miller are two of the highest caliber journalists working in television right now, but I can't see them at the big desk. Ironically, I think they should look to the O&Os. Maurice DuBois has been pretty good on the occasions he's appeared on the network, and Chris May, while a bit bland, has always seemed very capable of a network role (and there are constant rumors that CBS is really, really interested in him). Plus, you have pretty automatic successors at both WCBS and KYW - Chris Wragge did pretty good the first time around, and Ukee Washington should have been named CBS 3's lead anchor in 2001.

Rather made sure that nobody upstaged him at CBS. He made sure that a promising - and excellent - newsmagazine that didn't involve him (West 57th) was starved of resources. It's no coincidence that the next two magazines they tried had Dan Rather in prominent roles.

They didn't have anyone lined up after Rather because Rather hogged the spotlight. Everything seemed to be about him. Honestly? If I were a network president I would have immediately fired his ass when he threw a temper tantrum and walked off the set when the US Open went long.

Yeah.... if you can't tell, I have an extreme dislike for Dan Rather. Couric's tenure there might have been disastrous, but it did not cause anywhere near the long-term damage that Dan Rather did during his 24 years in the anchor chair.

---

Back on topic, I think CBS has ample time to groom a successor, and they don't have to do it right now. Scott Pelley has turned out to be a natural for that anchor chair and I sincerely hope it's his for a long time. I'm a fan of BriWi, but Pelley has that poise and confidence that Peter Jennings had. (And his broadcast seems to be a much better fit for the title WORLD News Tonight than ABC's Good Evening America is these days.)

If they do decide to groom it, while Norah seems like a natural choice now, I'm thinking she's a stone cold mortal lock to get Face The Nation when Schieffer is done with it. The problem at CBS is that while they have great correspondents, they don't have great natural anchors. Bob Orr and John Miller are two of the highest caliber journalists working in television right now, but I can't see them at the big desk. Ironically, I think they should look to the O&Os. Maurice DuBois has been pretty good on the occasions he's appeared on the network, and Chris May, while a bit bland, has always seemed very capable of a network role (and there are constant rumors that CBS is really, really interested in him). Plus, you have pretty automatic successors at both WCBS and KYW - Chris Wragge did pretty good the first time around, and Ukee Washington should have been named CBS 3's lead anchor in 2001.

This. All of this.

What about the anchors of the CBS Morning News, or are they all correspondents?

There is only one anchor of the CBS Morning News, Anne-Marie Green, who also anchors Up to the Minute. She is as far as you can be from being the face of CBS News. The newscasts she anchors are overnight broadcasts that don't have the cult following of World News Now, and she only started anchoring them in January of this year.

The strange thing is that while I didn't like Rather either, and I think he was completely in the wrong with the Killian documents, he has since turned out to be a pretty good media critic whenever he pops up on other networks from time to time.

• 5 months later...

The strange thing is that while I didn't like Rather either, and I think he was completely in the wrong with the Killian documents, he has since turned out to be a pretty good media critic whenever he pops up on other networks from time to time.

Not certain what you mean by "completely in the wrong" because he was pretty damn wrong. I agree that he is a pretty good media critic and news anaylst, better than he was an anchor.

---

I remember when Chris Wragge did the Saturday Early Show until he got the main gig at the Early Show. Overall, he was actually pretty good in the mornings and from what I judged from his evening newscasts at WCBS, he is more than capable of doing evenings. Let's hope that if he is chosen, CBS News will continue to have seriousness on the Evening News.

Archived